Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley GPS working  (Read 6217 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Harley GPS working
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »

I just got back from the dealer and they replaced the nav module.  My GPS is now working!!  And my garage door opener works too!   Plus, the Service Manager told me he was going to take care of my front tire (cupping issue, 5k miles) when the new tires came in.
:apple: :apple: :apple:

Okay, how did you get him to agree to take care of the front tire?  I was shut down on that one yesterday. Congrats on getting the NAV working.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »

sorry about the tread jack :jack:, i'm not alone on the front tire cupping? hhhmmmm

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

Okay, how did you get him to agree to take care of the front tire?  I was shut down on that one yesterday. Congrats on getting the NAV working.

My front tire does not look like it will  even outlast my rear tire.  I just showed him and told them the tire had already been discontinued and redesigned due to wear problems.  He found the bulletin on HD-Net and he said he'd put a new one on for me and cover it.  However, he did not have the new tire in stock, and the new tire is apparently not yet available, so I have nothing in hand so far.  The service bulletin is telling dealers to continue to use their old stock of 407's.   
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »

My front tire does not look like it will  even outlast my rear tire.  I just showed him and told them the tire had already been discontinued and redesigned due to wear problems.  He found the bulletin on HD-Net and he said he'd put a new one on for me and cover it.  However, he did not have the new tire in stock, and the new tire is apparently not yet available, so I have nothing in hand so far.  The service bulletin is telling dealers to continue to use their old stock of 407's.   

When the dealer saw that part, he told me that it's a running part change and they are to use up their existing stock, which means they aren't saying that the tires are a problem.  Mine is just barely starting to show the problem, but I have about 5000 miles of almost continuous riding planned for May.  I feel like I'm pretty much bound to have a problem mid-trip and I'm not pleased at all.  I'm just not sure I get this entire thing.  They have a safety related item that they know is a problem, have identified the problem in writing, they have made a product change to deal with the issue, and yet they continue to sell the tire that has known problems and don't want to replace the tire exhibiting the problem.  Why do I have a feeling that Harley is looking at yet another Class Action Lawsuit?  To me, that's just pure stupidity on their part, when this isn't even their product, and they should be passing the buck on to Dunlop.  It seems to me that Harley is opening themselves up to the liability here, when it should fall on Dunlop.  I think I may have to call Harley Customer Service once again and see if I can get an authorization from them to replace this tire.  I have no problem with it being done on a prorated basis.  I've gotten 5000 miles on it, and I am not looking to profit, just be made whole again.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »

I concur, particularly on the  pro rata issue.  I expect a front tire to last about 16-20k based on experience with my softail.  I replaced the front about every other rear tire, which went 8-10k.  I also wonder about HD's risk management strategy in dealing with it in this manner.  Reminds me of the Pinto with the exploding gas tank and the Ford memo that sank them in that case. 
I'm going to clamor for a replacement anyway, and see what happens.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »

What is a GPS and why do you use it? I find half the fun is getting lost. Seriously I have had my bike since Sept and after reading your post I finally went out there and meesed with it. I got past the point some of you did before a malfunction, but it seemed to be taking a long time to caluclate the route, much longer than the one in my car. How long should it normally take to calulate a route?

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »

What is a GPS and why do you use it? I find half the fun is getting lost. Seriously I have had my bike since Sept and after reading your post I finally went out there and meesed with it. I got past the point some of you did before a malfunction, but it seemed to be taking a long time to caluclate the route, much longer than the one in my car. How long should it normally take to calulate a route?

I thought the same thing, but tried the GPS anyways.

Here are my NEW thoughts on GPS - plug in the ultimate destination if you have one - then ignore the GPS until you know that it is time to "get to the place" you programed in - the GPS will tell you how long to get there (ie: if you are out riding the country and need to be home at a certain time for the SO).  If I am out riding with absolutely NO IDEA for a destination, I will not use the GPS.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »

Now that it's fixed, mine gets a route very quickly.  The defective units aren't acquiring satellites. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 09:06:05 PM »

Now that it's fixed, mine gets a route very quickly.  The defective units aren't acquiring satellites. 

Same here.  I calculates the route very quickly, and recalculating when you veer off the route is amazingly quick.  I can certainly see why the Zumo is preferred though.  There are a lot of things you would like to do that you can't with this unit.  On Friday afternoon, I was in the southwest corner of PA and wanted to figure which way to get home and do it quickly enough to get my buddy home before his wife raised the roof.  Of course, the route would have led me directly through Pittsburgh, and with the traffic at that hour, no way was that going to work.  It takes a little bit before the GPS stops telling you to make a U turn, get off at this exit, get off at that exit, and finally it decides that it's time to send you in another direction.  With the Zumo, I think you could program the route through some way point that would map you out based on your intended path, and avoid the high traffic areas.  But, it did keep recalculating the route and showing me the shortest way home based on where we were at any given moment, which can be of some help.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.