Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM STEREO help!!!  (Read 1147 times)

GREY EUGSTER

XM STEREO help!!!
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »

Hey guys,
my name is Grey. I have a 2009 serg3 with a zumo 550 and xm radio, and iam trying to figure out this stereo / helmet issue. I prefer a modular helmet and my situation is further complicated due to the fact that i wear in ear hearing aids.
I have tried the harley kit adding head phones into my present helmet ( not speaker compatible ) but dont get much volume and cant hear the radio above 50 mph. I can crank up my hearing aids but the sound quality is just not there. My xm radio is not going thru the bike stereo at present. What am i missing here as far as stereo / zumo configuration? Is a blue tooth helmet the answer?
I dont want to make phone calls just hear quality xm stereo, ipod and cd sounds.

any suggestions?

thanks,

grey
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:53:11 PM by GREY EUGSTER »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: XM STEREO help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »

If you don't find any good answers, there is a guy in my HOG chapter that makes hearing aids and headsets, and I may be way off here, but for some reason, I thought he mentioned something like blue tooth compatible hearing aids.  Again, if you don't find some other solution, I can dig up his name and number for you and if nothing else, he may be able to send you in the right direction.  I'm just having a feeling that his products don't carry a small price tag.  I just checked to see if I had his info handy and I can't find it, so I won't see him until our next meeting on May 6th, so let me know if you want his contact info.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: XM STEREO help!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:37:15 PM »

The first thing you need is a decent headset, like a J&M 584 integrated helmet. You can get the 584 integrated into an Arai or Nolan helmet, in 3/4 style or full helmet and not positive but I think there is a modular option as well, or you can get a 584 headset and install it in your own helmet you like (but can't put a 584 in a half helmet). Check out J&M's web site. But if you buy their products, you can get them cheaper through a distributor.

They make a shorty style headset that works well for half helmets. I have the Arai 3/4 integrated helmet and a shorty style I put in a Harley half helmet and I can crank the volume up way louder than I can stand with either headset. Second, are you running your XM through the Zumo or through the Harley system? To be honest, I don't know if your bike comes with a sound system like the SEUC and if XM is even built into your bike's system like mine.
I don't own a Zumo 550 because I'm waiting for the 660 to come out shortly and don't need the XM in the Zumo. I have an 09 SEUC and the XM works perfectly well in the Harley system. All the research I've done leads me to believe bluetooth helmets are not yet advanced enough to take advantage of the full Harley Harmon Kardon system, so I'd stick with a wired helmet for now. Battery recharge is something you also need to consider in bluetooth helmets, especially long rides.

Randall
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:13:39 PM by rheiner »

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.