Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: "I tried Hard to like the Harley CVO but just could not do it!  (Read 6868 times)

Bigderek

• Big Derek

• CVO1: Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic FLHTCUSE4 Electra Glide

Having tried to like my CVO I have today asked the dealer to sell it and advertised it on this site. It just does not do it for me or the wife, I guess having had many Goldwing's before my • 2009 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUSE4 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide I just can't STOP making comparisons between them. And having rode some 250 miles yesterday in nice British sunshine around the east coast it just looses on to many sides.
The bike has only covered 420 miles but you just know it aint going to work out.

So
"Dear Ruby" bless her is up for Sale I also have some other Items if anyone in the UK is interested a light up dip stick part no 63004-09
                                                                                                                                     chrome rear speaker trim no 74584-99
                                                                                                                                     SE Pro Race Tuner  32109-08A

so I am on the phone trying to find a Yellow 2009 Air bag and ABS Honda GL1800 from the USA if anyone can help it would be great?

Thanking you

Regards

Big D
Big D
UK

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: "I tried Hard to like the Harley CVO but just could not do it!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »

has the race tuner been used at all? or its it still in the box?

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »

has the race tuner been used at all? or its it still in the box?

Hi ,Its brand new still in the box unsealed! (no softwear or cables) as my local HD dealer was going to use his to do the install

Rgds

Derek
Big D
UK

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »

Sorry it didnt work out for you Big Derek, I have nothing bad to say about a Honda Goldwing, they are fine machines. I just hope you continue to keep riding and leeting the breeze catch your face !!

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »

Really sorry you could not accept the Harley Family Icon. I know how hard it is after years in the saddle to break from one manufacturer to move to another. I have been lucky to spend some time on the Goldwing and I can say nothing bad about them. They are a great piece of machinery. The most important thing is that you are staying on two wheels and enjoy the life. Best wishes and keep the shiny side up

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »

Ok, so I've never actually owned an Ultra Classic - CVO or otherwise but I have done a few demo rides on them and I have to say... if the Goldwing is that much better than the Ultra it must be one HE// of a ride...

Congrats for truly knowing what you like, having the nerve to know when to say when (dumping that bike with that little usage takes financial nerve) and moving on past a bad decision early instead of draggin it out and agonizing about it...

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:52:46 PM »

Congrats for truly knowing what you like, having the nerve to know when to say when (dumping that bike with that little usage takes financial nerve) and moving on past a bad decision early instead of draggin it out and agonizing about it...
Although, perhaps 420 miles doesn't give you the time to truly get to know the bike.  I always rode Hondas and loved them - I knew nothing else.  Got my first Harley (Heritage), and I wasn't a big fan at first.  After about a thousand miles, I completely forgot about the Hondas, and fell in love with the Heritage.  It was a little harder to forget about the Heritage when I got the CUSE4, because it was SO much different in ride, seat position & other ergonomics.  I'm up to 1500 miles now, and just yesterday I had my "aha" moment.  When I went out for my daily lunch ride, for the first time (and this is going to sound corny as hell), I truly felt "one" with the bike.  Everything seemed to click, everything felt good, and I knew I was in love.  I can't really explain - I enjoyed the bike from the beginning, in spite of some early grumblings.  It took time to become accustomed to the differences - embracing and accepting the improvements, and making accommodations and adjustments for the things that I initially didn't like.  I think that any time you make a change to the status quo, there is a period of uncomfortable uncertainty when you question your decision. I hope that BigDerek doesn't regret his decision to let go of his new bike so soon, but as everyone has said, the Goldwing is one heluva bike - smooth, powerful, comfortable.  You won't have the Harley style or rumble, but you'll have a great bike.  Good luck sellling the CVO - hope you make a killing!

Ed

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »

Although, perhaps 420 miles doesn't give you the time to truly get to know the bike.  I always rode Hondas and loved them - I knew nothing else.  Got my first Harley (Heritage), and I wasn't a big fan at first.  After about a thousand miles, I completely forgot about the Hondas, and fell in love with the Heritage.  It was a little harder to forget about the Heritage when I got the CUSE4, because it was SO much different in ride, seat position & other ergonomics.  I'm up to 1500 miles now, and just yesterday I had my "aha" moment.  When I went out for my daily lunch ride, for the first time (and this is going to sound corny as hell), I truly felt "one" with the bike.  Everything seemed to click, everything felt good, and I knew I was in love.  I can't really explain - I enjoyed the bike from the beginning, in spite of some early grumblings.  It took time to become accustomed to the differences - embracing and accepting the improvements, and making accommodations and adjustments for the things that I initially didn't like.  I think that any time you make a change to the status quo, there is a period of uncomfortable uncertainty when you question your decision. I hope that BigDerek doesn't regret his decision to let go of his new bike so soon, but as everyone has said, the Goldwing is one heluva bike - smooth, powerful, comfortable.  You won't have the Harley style or rumble, but you'll have a great bike.  Good luck sellling the CVO - hope you make a killing!

Ed
Well said Ed, I am going through the "uncomfortable uncertainty" right now, and have been questioning my decision of trading in my 08 Ultra for My  09 CUSE. Hasn't impressed me 18,000 extra dollars yet. But I am still giving it a chance, 800 miles and climbing.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:40 AM »

Well said Ed, I am going through the "uncomfortable uncertainty" right now, and have been questioning my decision of trading in my 08 Ultra for My  09 CUSE. Hasn't impressed me 18,000 extra dollars yet. But I am still giving it a chance, 800 miles and climbing.
Good point - I'm still squirming about the huge cost difference, but I try not to think about it.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:41:55 AM »

Good point - I'm still squirming about the huge cost difference, but I try not to think about it.
             Me too, but the wife keeps reminding me.......

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:55:20 AM »

ME too, but the wife keeps reminding me.......

Your wife keeps reminding you! "Blimey I have got a real sweetheart Christine is very understanding! Mindst you I did buy her a $300 HD handbag whilst on holiday in the USA last month. She loves the clothing and stuff me too. I have got  a new GL1800 being delivered on Saturday Morning just hope the CVO sells pretty quick. And yes I do agree with the comments regards change but when you have had lots of bikes and been riding long time like me , I guess you just know  when it  is not going to work.

Christine is looking forward to the comfort factor again an din truth so am I. There was another thing after reading about Cruserworks bike boots on this forum as I take a US 14 eee When I flew out to th USA last month I rang Cruiserworks and spoke to Shelly sh was very helpful. Anyway long story short I had her fly me a pair of boots 14eee down to FL Keys and I found em great took em home to th UK last week whilst riding the CVO I looked down after getting off and thought I had some polythene paper stuck on my sole only to find the boot (right foot) had melted all over the cross over section on the exhaust!!! "my new boots"

Thats another thing after having a 6 cyl water cooled with electric fans then sat in traffic in English sunshine th eheat blowing up my legs was unbearable and far to hot for me! Harley's will always be a fun pop off down to th eshop bike and great sounding bikes which put a smile on your face when you ride em, but as for a serious tourer that you can load up and go , It may work for others but not for me. So I have paid my money and taken the chance met some very nice chaps and had some fun with the two Harley's I tried.

Thanks

Big D :)
Big D
UK

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:27:49 AM »

Thats why they sell honda's, ducati's, beemers, and the rest. For people who don't ride Harley.
I sure hope you didn't get the H-D tattoo, thats hard to give back, But, there's no such thing as a Honda Tattoo.
I say this tongue in cheek sorry you had problems. Similar to this blasted Land Rover. Maybe we can swap. like a prisoner exchange.
Question, when your at a traffic stop on a Gold wing, and a chick looks at you, is it because of your Bike, or those cute sneakers and shorts, and color matched t-shirt and helmet.
Harley Ain't for everyone, THANK YOU very much.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:53:33 AM »

Should you try a third, I recommend a hand shift old one, as in older than yourself...

Best of luck!

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »

Maybe a quick test ride next time, will save you a-lot of time and expense of buying then test riding!!!!! Thats why they have demo-days (seems like demo months lately)No disrespect intended but Damn!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

Maybe a quick test ride next time, will save you a-lot of time and expense of buying then test riding!!!!! Thats why they have demo-days (seems like demo months lately)No disrespect intended but Damn!

Yes we did try to get a demo but no 2009 avavilable at the time and everyone was telling me the new frame and 110 engine etc would make it far different than a 2007  that may have been available for a demo ride? Still like I say you pay your money and take a cahnce.

Be safe

Big D
Big D
UK

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »

That really sucks, at least you know which direction to head now, good luck!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »

Not knocking your choice -- just a general comment/observation.  To me the Goldwing experience is more like a Lexus.  Very smooth, comfortable, and refined.  A Harley isn't like any automobile made today.  It's more like an older muscle car built with some modern amenities.  Those muscle cars weren't really that fast when compared with modern standards.  And they didn't handle all that well either.  But, if you've driven one upgraded muscle car after the other for the past 40 years you'd be very impressed with today's version. 

So how does one justify driving an updated muscle car when so many other vehicles are out there offering more comfort, better handling, and more overall refined power?  You don't.  There is no comparison.  Same goes for a Harley.  It's more about WHAT you are riding, and how it feels.  It is a bit coarse, and loud, and unrefined.  And it's bulky, like a '57 Chevy.  Lots of big chrome to polish.  And that is EXACTLY what I'm after. 

Good luck with your Goldwing.  Ride safe whatever your choice.

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »

Good luck with the sale and the new WING.

I made a swich from a HD Heritage Classic to the Ruby 09 SEUC and have been training myself on the difference in ride style. I am just now getting more comfortable at the 1000 mile mark. Giving up at 450 for me would have been too soon.

Keep riding...

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 11:39:53 AM »

I have a really good friend that had a Wing several years ago.  He was nice enough to give it to me for several extended sessions, so I rode it alot.  I also serviced it, doing a 10k and a 15k mile service.  Yes I did ride it!  Really nice, but I felt like I was in a recliner going down the road.  I didn't feel connected with the experience.  Man, it rode better, ddin't tire me out any where near as much, got better fuel milage and flat out ran away from most anything I rode with.  It was like a Rolls Royce.  And I might as well have had a damn chauffuer.  Someday I may need to go to a wing because it's tons easier to handle for an old geezer, with the significantly lower center of gravity and such.  But until then, I'll keep my knees in the breeze.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

NETacoma03Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »

I came from a 1980 GSX750 + 78 Honda 400F.  Bought my 1st Fatboy and and was WTF.  The bike vibrated & cornered like crap.  But after 7 years of owning Harleys, I would not change to anything else.  I think you did not give it enough time.  And you will have to understand that a HD is not a rocket peg grinder.  You learn to modify the machine to your liking and you learn to love the rumbler.  They do not corner well but that could save your life in the end as you pay so much more attention to your riding.

just my thoughts.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »

Based on the title of this thread, I say: Who cares???

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »

We Do! It is not just a web site, we meet each other, ride, dine, and have true feelings of friendship. Sorry you don't agree, but some of us do care.  Dave

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »

I had the chance to own several harleys a custom bike and a goldwing.Jut sold the wing recently and bought seroadglide.Thats the bike you shouldve get because i rode ultras but road glide and goldwing are similar rides on the other hand an ultra is another beast.I prefer the road glide over goldwing. :drink:
Ridin Legend

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »

We Do! It is not just a web site, we meet each other, ride, dine, and have true feelings of friendship. Sorry you don't agree, but some of us do care.  Dave

Hello I never made my heading as a fight statement or to be  little anything about Harley's, so th comment about "Who Cares" is not very apt to a brothers in arms from the UK in fact it's just childish! Anyway just to throw some interesting light on this Goldwing Harley thing! Over here in the UK we have many Harley riders and some go out riding as we did last week with Goldwing owners. The point I was making is that after having 1 x GL1500 1998 then 7 GL1800 Goldwings and covering some 100,000miles touring Europe it was never going to be a smooth transition from wing to Ultra Glide, But Hey I paid my money and gave it a go!

The Goldwing has so manner benefits for myself, Better Handling, more rider and passenger room including comfort,better suspension, as it does have some on the rear! more storage and pannier space, less heat up your legs , no exhaust burns on your right leg! less vibration, and overhall more refined.........But that don't mean to say I don,t like Harley's cos I do but for the job I am asking it to do and at my time in life the CVO Ultra just did not do it. And yes a new GL1800 my sound like one chap called a economy car? But hey let me say when the boxster 6 cyld engine is on song she sounds sweet.

All in all its just about biking I love my 2 wheels I have a  BMW GSA which as I type this I have my draggin jeans and my slightly melted new USA Cruiser boots (burnt on exhaust last week on Harley! ready to go out with our local IAM club for a ride , just in time for my new Wing being delivered.

"Ruby" Bless her is in the St Leger show room at Doncaster awaiting someone to buy her!

So please don't label me as Mr Complainer or Harley Hater cos I ain't

Have Fun "be happy"

Big D
Big D
UK

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 07:27:27 AM »

I've sat quiet long enough, you ride Honda, I ride a Harley-Davidson. does that make you or me different, no. But, you are NOT a brother in arms as you call it. I do not wave at you, though I will share my feelings at a gas station with you. H-D is much more than a Motorcycle. It's a life-style. Little kids dream of owning a H-D, girls go ga ga over H-D.
"trying hard to like something", I think I said that to a redhead once.

ironhorse432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

420 miles isn't verry much..........Just sayin

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:59 AM »

I've sat quiet long enough, you ride Honda, I ride a Harley-Davidson. does that make you or me different, no. But, you are NOT a brother in arms as you call it. I do not wave at you, though I will share my feelings at a gas station with you. H-D is much more than a Motorcycle. It's a life-style. Little kids dream of owning a H-D, girls go ga ga over H-D.

That's not fair, I am that Red Headed Stepchild you always hear about!
 True, the Harley experience is a lifestyle, but we all love the same things. Freedom! Doing what WE want. Riding what WE want. No bashing here, I enjoy the company of a good person no matter what he/she rides, as long as they are good to be with and enjoy the freedom of the road ahead. And I will wave to you!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:09:22 AM by Wrongway »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »

What other ad campaigns are you going to quote? 

Not a brother in arms, won't wave at you (because you dare to ride a different brand), etc.  Well, all I can say to those with your attitude is I would appreciate it if you didn't wave at me either, even though I do ride the same brand.  Intolerance based on silly crap is still intolerance, and I prefer riding with a kid on a Vespa to riding with a snob who thinks he's better than someone else because of the brand of vehicle he rides. 

It's all about being on two wheels with the wind in your face, not the name on the side of the tank.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »

What other ad campaigns are you going to quote? 

Not a brother in arms, won't wave at you (because you dare to ride a different brand), etc.  Well, all I can say to those with your attitude is I would appreciate it if you didn't wave at me either, even though I do ride the same brand.  Intolerance based on silly crap is still intolerance, and I prefer riding with a kid on a Vespa to riding with a snob who thinks he's better than someone else because of the brand of vehicle he rides. 

It's all about being on two wheels with the wind in your face, not the name on the side of the tank.

Jerry

I agree with you. We always wave at everyone.
On a trip, one day we were going down the road went by a group of CMC on harleys and wings waved when we went by. a few miles down the road our friends bike crapped out so to the side of the road we go. Guess who stopped to help, the guy on the WING. Helped our friend get his bike back up and running. Spent over a hour on the side of the road with us wrenching on a harley. Guess what we ended up at the same event.

We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

Having tried to like my CVO I have today asked the dealer to sell it

The bike has only covered 420 miles but you just know it aint going to work out.

Just noticed this thread.  Only 420 miles is not "trying hard" to get familiar with a new bike.  Barely enough time to get the seat, bars and screen adjusted/replaced well to match the bike to the rider.

If someone just doesn't like a bike that's fine.  But there's not much patting on the back for good effort to be done when the entire effort at familiarity is barely more than two tanks of gas.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »

Good point! Took 25k before we said goodbye to that suck ass stock seat. Yes the heat was nice, but comfort was not in the minds of the design crew ( sorry Willie). In Derek's defence he was used to smooth riding and comfort, not what we have! You just can't compare a GW to any Harley, it is not what he is accustom to. Smooth, balanced, reliable, comfortable touring. We like it Hard, Uncomfortable, In the shop for warranty repairs! "I have never seen one of those" kind of lifestyle.  ;D. Sorry, but I have been through HELL with my CVO, just ask 110mofo. He went through the same crap.
 I ride a Harley, but drive a Honda, turned 95K on a 2006 just yesterday and it is Rock Solid! Can't say the same for a 2006 Harley with 30K!

Decano

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC2
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

I do agree that the Goldwing is a more advanced piece of machinery, but, showing my shallow side, there is no comparison between a Honda and a Harley when it comes to looks and style.  Although happily married, I do enjoy the smiles and looks from girls when I cruse down the road. I don't think the reaction is the same when they see a Goldwing passing them.  Women aside, kids are fascinated by a Harley and you feel like a rock star when the kids' jaws drop as you ride by with all that chrome and characteristic Harley design. If I didn't care about looks, it wouldn't matter what I rode and I wouldn't have spent $35,000 on my ride.  BUT, if you are not as shallow as I am, there are not many reasons to pick a Harley over a Honda. By all means enjoy the comfort of the Goldwing. :2vrolijk_21:

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »

Is the lighted dipstick still for sale?If so how much?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »

BigDerek,

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. As someone who sold his GL1800 (with 100K miles on it), and bought an 1150 GS Adventure, I've ridden the other two bikes you have recent experience on. It was quite an experience going from the 1800 to the GS, but I still "connected" with the bike right away. I am hoping to have a better experience than you did, as I take delivery of my SERG in 2 weeks... I've been lucky so far, as I had never thrown a foot over the GL1800, or the GS before I bought them. I applaud you for taking a chance on the SERG... sucks it didn't work out for you; I hope you don't take too bad a beating and the bike find a good home.

Enjoy your GL1800 and your GS! If I ever make it to the UK, you can bet I'll wave... because I am a rider first... no matter what brand I'm on.

REGGAB

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »

Good on ya, Big D.  You know what you want, and you went for it.  Sounds to me like you're moving on to that which best suits you and your wife.  That's great.  Ride safe.

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »

Is the lighted dipstick still for sale?If so how much?

Hi John,

Yes I have some items for the cvo they are now on the dreaded ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=220400946076

cheers Big D
Big D
UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 01:32:31 AM »

420 miles on his CVO was enough to know that he didn't like it. It only took me 300 kms during one afternoon demo ride to know the 1800 Goldwing wasn't for us. It's all about personal preference, comfort and what a rider is used to. Change can be difficult for anyone. 

About the Wing being more advanced. There are many areas where a CVO Ultra has the edge and many areas where the Wing comes out ahead. ABS brakes, rider comfort, stereo, cruise, gas mileage and wind protection are superior on the Harley. Yes, the Wing's motor is more advanced. But the Wing only comes with a 5 speed overdrive. And there is very little plastic on an Ultra. Not so with many other bikes including the Wing.

My wife and I wave at all riders too. No matter what they ride. At gas stops or meal stops we try talking to any rider. Again no matter what brand they bike.

Life is just to short, so ride, make friends and have fun!!

Hiya, Yes you are right you just know even after a short ride if the bike is going to do it for you. The ABS on the Harley is as good as the ABS on the wing the 6 speed box on the Harley is good but very boxy the wing could do with a 6 sped box as yesterday on my 200 mile debut ride on th enew Wing I was pulling 6th gear as i was use to both the Harley and my BMW GSA having 6 gears! The GSA box is the best gear box ever no clunk an dnot boxy just smooth as silk.

As to rider/passenger comfort well I think my dear wife Christine would have some comment on that one! and me to but as we have covered that on old grown it's all down to choice and it would be a crap world if we were all the same....
And I agree we wave and nod at all bikers here and in Europe I love Europe  close to all bikers are so friendly no matter what bikes they ride they wave with their leg/foot if they are on the Motorways autobhan's sometimes and coming past you and we also use the V victory ride safe hand sign.

Enjoy your Harley and of course the sunshine!

Big D
Big D
UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 01:39:38 AM »

BigDerek,

Enjoy your GL1800 and your GS! If I ever make it to the UK, you can bet I'll wave... because I am a rider first... no matter what brand I'm on.

Hi Crusty see you are in Japan, thats a place I will visit one day. Anyway as you say you sold your GL1800 and I keep buying em, we rode a couple of hundred miles yesterday after taking delivery of our new Wing and both of us loved it! Yea the box could do with another gear and we only get one model here in Europe its the top of the shop air bag abs nav etc. The only trouble with wings is that you buy one then you need to fit about 3-4-5k of accessories to make it special and wow factor!  but in about 10 mins I will be in the workshop doing exactly that!

Be safe and wave to bikers don't know how to spell it as spelling ain't my best thing but th eword is Bona-me!

BE HAPPY and ride safe

Big D

P.S. if ever your in the UK be sure to look us up we can go for a ride on the GSA's
Big D
UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 01:41:59 AM »

Good on ya, Big D.  You know what you want, and you went for it.  Sounds to me like you're moving on to that which best suits you and your wife.  That's great.  Ride safe.

Yes thank's for that hope you are having  a good weekend we will enjoy our bikes and today we have sunshine here in the UK!

Cheers

Big D

Big D
UK

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »

420 miles on his CVO was enough to know that he didn't like it. It only took me 300 kms during one afternoon demo ride to know the 1800 Goldwing wasn't for us. It's all about personal preference, comfort and what a rider is used to. Change can be difficult for anyone. 

About the Wing being more advanced. There are many areas where a CVO Ultra has the edge and many areas where the Wing comes out ahead. ABS brakes, rider comfort, stereo, cruise, gas mileage and wind protection are superior on the Harley. Yes, the Wing's motor is more advanced. But the Wing only comes with a 5 speed overdrive. And there is very little plastic on an Ultra. Not so with many other bikes including the Wing.

My wife and I wave at all riders too. No matter what they ride. At gas stops or meal stops we try talking to any rider. Again no matter what brand they bike.

Life is just to short, so ride, make friends and have fun!!

I have tried to stay away from the Wing  vs  CVO debate but suggesting the CVO has superior breaks to the Wing is comical. The Wing not only has ABS but also a proportioning valve that maintains an 80 / 20 pressure  variance to front and back breaks for perfect breaking. The Wing will out maneuver the stock CVO on any type of road. The CVO has a much more relaxed riding position than the Wing . If we are comparing the Ultra CVO to the Wing , The Wing is much more stable in windy situations as the fairing is frame mounted. The wing has an adjustable wind shield to allow for deferent height riders the CVO does not. Plastic is an issue with the Wing but it doesn't dent like the tank on most bikes or the front fenders. I think they are both great bikes , but quality goes to the WING Style goes to the CVO .  ;)
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »

I have tried to stay away from the Wing  vs  CVO debate but suggesting the CVO has superior breaks to the Wing is comical. The Wing not only has ABS but also a proportioning valve that maintains an 80 / 20 pressure  variance to front and back breaks for perfect breaking. The Wing will out maneuver the stock CVO on any type of road. The CVO has a much more relaxed riding position than the Wing . If we are comparing the Ultra CVO to the Wing , The Wing is much more stable in windy situations as the fairing is frame mounted. The wing has an adjustable wind shield to allow for deferent height riders the CVO does not. Plastic is an issue with the Wing but it doesn't dent like the tank on most bikes or the front fenders. I think they are both great bikes , but quality goes to the WING Style goes to the CVO .  ;)
So, what now, we change the name to CVOWing.com or what. I can't believe we are still talking about this.

REGGAB

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »

So, what now, we change the name to CVOWing.com or what. I can't believe we are still talking about this.
::) ::) ::)

You have a real nice, Blessed, and happy day there, Mr. LarryB.   :coolblue:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

Not sure how to take that

REGGAB

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »

Not sure how to take that

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »

OK...................................I will!

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2009, 01:55:16 AM »

Hi Larry,

I started the discussion, and I may be wrong but I thought as a owner of different bikes forums were a base where we could discuss each others point of view. Please don't feel offended about a few paragraphs re the Honda Goldwing. I still own Harley Davidsons but th eCVO Ultra just don't do it for me and my dear lady. The advise I have received in general was helpful and useful. There may be lots of others on this website who also own both Ultra and Wing its only peoples opinions. And as to your comment about can't believe we are still talking about this? It just seem sto have created some interest and comments. I rode 350miles on twisty UK Derbyshire and Staffordshire roads yesterday and the wing is Light years more comfy, better handling, more room,a lot smoother,equally as good brakes if not better as they are linked,and the stereo, gps, mp3 intercom is all far better. So yes it was good to ride,

But today if I nip down to the corner shop for a loaf of bread or a news paper the CVO with its potato potato sound will put  a Big smile on my face with its clunky gearbox and it shot engine etc etc  it is just great to have the choice! But as for a long distance tourer "Well in Europe it just is not my preferred choice"

Have a safe ride

Big D

Big D
UK

REGGAB

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2009, 06:36:43 AM »

Hi Larry,

I started the discussion, and I may be wrong but I thought as a owner of different bikes forums were a base where we could discuss each others point of view. Please don't feel offended about a few paragraphs re the Honda Goldwing. I still own Harley Davidsons but th eCVO Ultra just don't do it for me and my dear lady. The advise I have received in general was helpful and useful. There may be lots of others on this website who also own both Ultra and Wing its only peoples opinions. And as to your comment about can't believe we are still talking about this? It just seem sto have created some interest and comments. I rode 350miles on twisty UK Derbyshire and Staffordshire roads yesterday and the wing is Light years more comfy, better handling, more room,a lot smoother,equally as good brakes if not better as they are linked,and the stereo, gps, mp3 intercom is all far better. So yes it was good to ride,

But today if I nip down to the corner shop for a loaf of bread or a news paper the CVO with its potato potato sound will put  a Big smile on my face with its clunky gearbox and it shot engine etc etc  it is just great to have the choice! But as for a long distance tourer "Well in Europe it just is not my preferred choice"

Have a safe ride

Big D

Big D,
Again, I think it is great that you and your wife both know what you want.  Everyone knows that is a key ingredient.  I haven't a clue about anything Honda.......save for that boxy looking Element thing we owned a few years ago..........therefore cannot offer an opinion on the Wing except my thoughts on it from a visual aspect.  I'll keep those thoughts in cheque rather, and offer that what you have mentioned above about the quality of the Wing when compared to the HD is your opinion..........and I appreciate and respect that.........but again, it is your opinion.  Others may feel differently, and that is a good thing.  Even better than that is that we can all coexist.  Don't worry too much about what anyone else thinks.  Just get out there and enjoy the highway.  Having spent significant time in your neck of the woods.......many, many, many, many, many, many years ago........I'm just a bit envious of the riding you get to do, regardless of the platform.  Enjoy

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »

You need to be happy with what you ride,  no matter who makes it!

My only beef is people who buy Jap Harley Look-alikes (like V-Star or whatever they call them)  If you want a harley,  buy a used one,  not a new bad imitation.....  If I was going to put on 30+K miles a year touring,  I would have a ST1100 or BMW for the long haul and keep the SERK for 3-4 day trips...

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

My view is that the FLHTCUSE4 has lots of imperfections (for its size storage capacity, passenger space, passenger footpegs, rear crashbars comfort for passenger, driver leg space, driver/passenger wind buffeting.... and probably lots more), but when I ride it it makes me feel good.

Harleys and when I had a Ducati were the only bikes I went for a ride on for no reason at all, just because it made me happy.  Every time I go out on my SE4 I feel better.  The sound is great, the looks are Americana personified, the handling and comfort are okay and I feel like I'm riding a real machine made by people - I feel proud on the bike.

Nobody else but you Yanks make bikes like this anymore and I feel lucky to be able to ride one.

p.s. I admit to riding and owning a Goldwing GL1000 many moons ago.

Good on you Derek, ride what makes you happy.

Jon

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 02:20:11 AM »

p.s. I admit to riding and owning a Goldwing GL1000 many moons ago.

Hiya Jon,

yes I am glad you like the SE4 "Do u want to buy  a red one" (lol)  Anyway just on a Little note riding the GL1100 and the getting onto the GL1800 is like going from a Ford pop to a Ferrari.

I to get a smile on my face when ridding my  Harley but it just dont work for long enough? But "Hey we are riding bikes and that is all that matters! Some one said Harleys are  away of life well I think thats it full stop re Biking... We just need the sunshine was coming up to Yks Dales yesterday with 25 other bikes but it was cancelled,,,,,, wimps!

See Ya

Ride Safe

Big D

Big D
UK

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 04:50:34 AM »

Hey Derek, exactly where is Blyth located in the UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 05:11:39 AM »

Hi Larry

there are two Blyh's in the UK one in North East and ours which is North Nottinghamshire, "Why do you ask" ?

Regards

Big D
Big D
UK

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 05:19:27 AM »

Just wondering, I have family there In Manchester, my wife is from there. also some in Buxton. what FC do you support

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 21 queries.