Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: MRF and EPA  (Read 2705 times)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: MRF and EPA
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 07:32:28 AM »

Interesting story Candy....Looks you like you were able to speak the "international language" when it comes to State or Federal EPA testing.  Exactly the reason why I'll never lose a lot of sleep over meeting "standards".  Bureaucratic Employees + Minimum Wage = No Enforcement.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 10:46:05 AM »

Interesting story Candy....Looks you like you were able to speak the "international language" when it comes to State or Federal EPA testing.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Alazlo

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »

Well, I wish I could agree, but based on the current state of inspections in NC, it doesn't look good.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »

We as bikers need to scream about this to our elected officials - this is ABSURD - the amount of pollution bikes are responsible for is negligable - the local Burger King emits more via flame broiling than all our communities bikes combined. As a truck owner/operator I feel the same thing happening to the trucking industry. The new rules in effect as of 2004 and another set going into effect in 2007 has led to trucks costing 15k more for the new engines - they have less power, and get less MPG. Ok this is how absurd it is - the new truck engines get almost half MPG what the older engines and produce 1/3 less emmissions - and have about 1/3 less effective power - so pulling the same load we use more fuel - so the emissions end up being a wash. They mandated low sulfur fuel and now ultra low sulfur fuel this year - forcing the fuel prices even higher and taking away the lubricity the sulfur provided - thus reducing the life of the now more expensive engines. Add to that ever more restrictive hours of service guidelines and if i didn't know any better I'd think there was a movement to ban all vehicles completely - except maybe the segway!
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 03:03:13 PM »

They're tightening the screws and our voice and words are all we have to keep the g-man from going to far and making our choices fewer and affecting the desire of the performance market to make innovative upgrades and tuning parts available to us.  If the little guys stop making cool new cams and awesome sounding/performing pipes then we're going to be stuck with fewer choices and less options to make our rides unique.

I filled in the "Individual Mototcyclist/Owner" form and sent it off to the MRF (along with my dues).  Doesn't hurt to be a bit proactive here and add your voice to this.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 05:19:29 PM »

Interesting story Candy....Looks you like you were able to speak the "international language" when it comes to State or Federal EPA testing.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 05:40:35 PM »

You would think that the "Nanny Police" would have far better things to do than worry about things like motorcycle exhaust emissions, when compared to the total number of vehicles and miles driven Vs. automobiles,buses, etc. we're hardly an ant hill. There is one solution  :)
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 06:31:42 PM »

There was a semi interesting bit in the arcticles which discussed the fact that the EPA was responding to complains from environmentalists on both emissions and noise..and..when they went to the major motorcycle manufacturers they were happy to suggest ways to reduce emissions and noise..and..since they were the only ones at the table they crafted the newer more stringent regulations and posted them for comments, it was only then that the motorcycling aftermarket manufacturers and riding community woke up and are now asking to here from us all.  Speak up and yee shall be heard.

On Hubs point, here they put a small sticker on the licence plate just below the 2 digit year sticker so it doesn't deface our chrome..and..the won't renew your tags if you don't get the smog test every 2 years beginning on it's 4th birthday.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »

I'm wondering about where this might lead to ::) ...I go into buy that new 2012 CVO Ultra Deuce Screaming Fatboy model and find out that the SE catalog parts are not supported on my bike and in order to get a race tuner to work on it I need to prove the bike is for track use only, so, I'm stuck doing the chromey bits here and there and changing the seat and adding racing strips to make my bike personalized for me. Woo Ha, what a killer ride:'(
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 07:43:34 PM »

Excellant point Jerry.  I hadn't driven a 'Vette in about 5 years and had the opportunity to drive a Z06 last weekend.  Couldn't notice the EPA restrictions...just a big grin going through the gears.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 10:05:54 PM »

All of this stuff is nothing new; the auto business was all doom and gloom back in the 70's and 80's because of the new EPA regs, and everyone assumed we'd all be driving the most boring and underpowered vehicles possible.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 10:47:38 PM »

Screamin,

Good points as well.  Of course, back in the 70's and 80's the auto industry had to invent this crap as they went, without the benefit of the major improvements in electronics that we've seen in the past 10 years.  This time all H-D has to do is learn from the last 30 years of automotive history, and try not to make the same mistakes all over again.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.