Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Rust Spots in Paint?  (Read 12221 times)

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Rust Spots in Paint?
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »

So, I was cleaning my bike today and noticed what appeared to be rust spots in the brushed flames of my paint. Has anyone else had this problem on their 09? I remember reading the post about issues on the 08's and was curious about the 09's. If you had issues did the factory warrant a replacement? ......What a good way to start the 2010 riding season.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Rust Spots in Paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »

So, I was cleaning my bike today and noticed what appeared to be rust spots in the brushed flames of my paint. Has anyone else had this problem on their 09? I remember reading the post about issues on the 08's and was curious about the 09's. If you had issues did the factory warrant a replacement? ......What a good way to start the 2010 riding season.

See my post in the 2010 Street Glide Issues section. I don't think it is rust but maybe the bare fender or undercoating touched by bare fingers just prior to painting. If so, in your case, my paint issues may resemble yours...

Oh Yea still awaiting an answer......
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:31:13 PM by CVOStreetglide »

CandyCobalt

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »

Discovered several weeks ago 2 points of rust at the right side of tank in the silver flames too.
I will exactly observe whether it to become larger…
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:39:27 PM by CandyCobalt »

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:40:57 PM »

Well, I am taking mine to the dealer Monday morning so I will let everyone know what the dealer says.

Staylock

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

It is a warranty item.  I have a new rear fender at the dealer being installed next week on my 2008. 

Thatguycvo

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

Could you guys put up a pic? Have similar problem on front side of tank. I thought I took a rock or something but there is no cracking or dent in the tank. There are two spots close to each other but not touching. Thanks.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 12:49:52 AM »

Damnit, you made me go out in the cold garage and look over my bike.

Please post a picture of the rust spot. I will have to give it a better look during my spring cleaning of the bike.

Thatguycvo

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »

Sorry Zinister shouldn't ask to see pics without putting up my own.

Staylock

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »

Here is a pic.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »

Lol, I was just saying that it's cold in my garage!!!!

ThatCVOGuy,
I'm ready for that ride to Poopies this spring. I have to make a work trip in April that may take most of the month but I'm free after that if you want to meet up.

Thatguycvo

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:31:04 AM »

Thanks Staylock. Zinister if the snow and ice is gone by then I will give you a holler.

speedoe

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »

I have an 09 Springer with the metal grind green flames. After about 6 months I noticed some small rust spots under the clear coat on the metal grind. Within a couple of months, the rust started spider webbing. Took it back to the dealership in November and they replaced all the sheet metal at no charge; however, as I was riding around in Daytona last week guess what... so more rust spots are starting to form on the metal grind area under the clear coat.....not happy at this point....the bike has never been in the rain and is always stored inside an insulated building free of moisture. The problem I believe goes back to the prepping before painting. Somehow there is moisture being sealed in the clear coat next to the metal. How can this occur? Maybe some sweaty hands handling the metal prior to painting or maybe the compressor operating the paint gun has a malfunctioning water seperator and is mixing small particles of moisture in the clearcoat. I will be taking it back to the dealership and hope they will make good and try the 3rd skins, but am losing confidence that it will be any different.

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

Shortly after I bought the bike in September '08, I noticed a black speck on the metal grind area under the clearcoat on the front fender.  It looked like just a fleck of dirt or metal.  I never noticed any rust under the clear spidering out from the speck, but it sure made me wonder about how the part was prepped before the paint was applied.  It is now a moot point as I traded the bike last year...my apologies to whomever buys the bike... :-\

speedoe

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »

Well I took the bike back to the dealer today and was told that they found out what was causing the rust under the clear coat. The dealer said that the CVO paint is contracted out to a place that has 3 guys doing the custom painting. The tanks that have the rust problem have been painted by one of the three and seems that it was found that he has some problems handling the skins with oily or sweaty hands. Interesting enough, the dealer said they had another 09 CVO in the back of the shop with the same problem. Seems the problem is with the prepping. Maybe the dude should wear some surgical gloves, that is, if he is still employed. :P

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »

Just my .02.  My friend owns a body shop and since this bare metal grind (2006?) first appeared, he questioned the whole idea of clear on bare metal. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.