Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rust Spots in Paint?  (Read 12222 times)

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Rust Spots in Paint?
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »

So, I was cleaning my bike today and noticed what appeared to be rust spots in the brushed flames of my paint. Has anyone else had this problem on their 09? I remember reading the post about issues on the 08's and was curious about the 09's. If you had issues did the factory warrant a replacement? ......What a good way to start the 2010 riding season.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Rust Spots in Paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »

So, I was cleaning my bike today and noticed what appeared to be rust spots in the brushed flames of my paint. Has anyone else had this problem on their 09? I remember reading the post about issues on the 08's and was curious about the 09's. If you had issues did the factory warrant a replacement? ......What a good way to start the 2010 riding season.

See my post in the 2010 Street Glide Issues section. I don't think it is rust but maybe the bare fender or undercoating touched by bare fingers just prior to painting. If so, in your case, my paint issues may resemble yours...

Oh Yea still awaiting an answer......
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:31:13 PM by CVOStreetglide »

CandyCobalt

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »

Discovered several weeks ago 2 points of rust at the right side of tank in the silver flames too.
I will exactly observe whether it to become larger…
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:39:27 PM by CandyCobalt »

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:40:57 PM »

Well, I am taking mine to the dealer Monday morning so I will let everyone know what the dealer says.

Staylock

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

It is a warranty item.  I have a new rear fender at the dealer being installed next week on my 2008. 

Thatguycvo

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

Could you guys put up a pic? Have similar problem on front side of tank. I thought I took a rock or something but there is no cracking or dent in the tank. There are two spots close to each other but not touching. Thanks.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 12:49:52 AM »

Damnit, you made me go out in the cold garage and look over my bike.

Please post a picture of the rust spot. I will have to give it a better look during my spring cleaning of the bike.

Thatguycvo

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »

Sorry Zinister shouldn't ask to see pics without putting up my own.

Staylock

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »

Here is a pic.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »

Lol, I was just saying that it's cold in my garage!!!!

ThatCVOGuy,
I'm ready for that ride to Poopies this spring. I have to make a work trip in April that may take most of the month but I'm free after that if you want to meet up.

Thatguycvo

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:31:04 AM »

Thanks Staylock. Zinister if the snow and ice is gone by then I will give you a holler.

speedoe

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »

I have an 09 Springer with the metal grind green flames. After about 6 months I noticed some small rust spots under the clear coat on the metal grind. Within a couple of months, the rust started spider webbing. Took it back to the dealership in November and they replaced all the sheet metal at no charge; however, as I was riding around in Daytona last week guess what... so more rust spots are starting to form on the metal grind area under the clear coat.....not happy at this point....the bike has never been in the rain and is always stored inside an insulated building free of moisture. The problem I believe goes back to the prepping before painting. Somehow there is moisture being sealed in the clear coat next to the metal. How can this occur? Maybe some sweaty hands handling the metal prior to painting or maybe the compressor operating the paint gun has a malfunctioning water seperator and is mixing small particles of moisture in the clearcoat. I will be taking it back to the dealership and hope they will make good and try the 3rd skins, but am losing confidence that it will be any different.

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

Shortly after I bought the bike in September '08, I noticed a black speck on the metal grind area under the clearcoat on the front fender.  It looked like just a fleck of dirt or metal.  I never noticed any rust under the clear spidering out from the speck, but it sure made me wonder about how the part was prepped before the paint was applied.  It is now a moot point as I traded the bike last year...my apologies to whomever buys the bike... :-\

speedoe

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »

Well I took the bike back to the dealer today and was told that they found out what was causing the rust under the clear coat. The dealer said that the CVO paint is contracted out to a place that has 3 guys doing the custom painting. The tanks that have the rust problem have been painted by one of the three and seems that it was found that he has some problems handling the skins with oily or sweaty hands. Interesting enough, the dealer said they had another 09 CVO in the back of the shop with the same problem. Seems the problem is with the prepping. Maybe the dude should wear some surgical gloves, that is, if he is still employed. :P

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »

Just my .02.  My friend owns a body shop and since this bare metal grind (2006?) first appeared, he questioned the whole idea of clear on bare metal. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »

Well, after waiting for the last 3 and a half weeks Harley finally made a decision and they are replacing all of the painted parts on my springer. Now, I get to wait another 2 weeks for the parts to come in. I am angry at how ling it is taking but I think I am just suffering more from withdrawl symptoms of not having my bike. ha ha.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »

Well, after waiting for the last 3 and a half weeks Harley finally made a decision and they are replacing all of the painted parts on my springer. Now, I get to wait another 2 weeks for the parts to come in. I am angry at how ling it is taking but I think I am just suffering more from withdrawl symptoms of not having my bike. ha ha.

Why don't you ride it with the old stuff on until the new replacements parts come in? That's what I did.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »

The dealer I go to is a little over 100 miles one way and didn't want to ask friends to drive me over there and back 3 more times instead of one more time.

thealaskan

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
    • Road Art (photogs)
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:46 PM »

Damn... this is a serious issue.  I hope HD responds accordingly.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

I've got the same issue with the paint on my tank also, so its going into our local dealer soon to get it looked at. I hope they dont try and brush me off, i'll soon find out, i'm heartened a bit by the fact that the moco seem to know of the problem.  :(

ed ammon

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »

replaced rear fender because of rust under paint and just noticed after cleaning front fender starting to rust in seams. called hd customer service and talked to a woman who new nothing about anything and told me that harley doesnt fix the paint after the bike leaves the showroom. She didnt know anything about the non primered paint job that harley puts out on these bikes and I think she didnt even know what primer is. I would like to keep bike and sand blast chitty paint off, primer and repaint but Im afraid it would ruin value of bike. She sent me back to the dealer who doesnt want to deal with me after buying 12 new bikes from them.

harlee79

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:19 PM »

replaced rear fender because of rust under paint and just noticed after cleaning front fender starting to rust in seams. called hd customer service and talked to a woman who new nothing about anything and told me that harley doesnt fix the paint after the bike leaves the showroom. She didnt know anything about the non primered paint job that harley puts out on these bikes and I think she didnt even know what primer is. I would like to keep bike and sand blast chitty paint off, primer and repaint but Im afraid it would ruin value of bike. She sent me back to the dealer who doesnt want to deal with me after buying 12 new bikes from them.

which dealer, I'd like to avoid them..

2009 FXSTSSE3 -Screaming Eagle Springer
2003 FLSTSI - Heritage Springer

ed ammon

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »

the new rawhide harley davidson! A 2008 bike is done with harley fixing anything thats how they are going to get away with this crappy paint job. After talking to roxanne at the mother plant, shes the service manager that you get to talk to because the dealers dont want to talk about this paint anymore. She knows nothing about these motorcycles and there problems. The plants new answer as of thursday is if you send it in we will fix it and you will pay for it.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 04:57:17 AM »

I'd like to know if the problem i have with my paint is the same as some of you are experiencing, it appears as a very fine "squigly" line. Mine is mainly in the tank area, but i can see a few spots in the fender under the seat (under the clear protective film). Knowing what others are finding would really help me out as I am also not having any joy with repair at the moment

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 06:12:01 AM »

Two more

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 06:16:49 AM »

3rd shot, this one u can see 3 spots, mid shot, in the clear coat.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »

3rd shot, this one u can see 3 spots, mid shot, in the clear coat.

That is the same thing that happened to me. The number of spots kept growing too. MOCO replace them for free so there is precedent for them doing so. Replaced rear fender, headlight, and tank. Oh yeah and my left mirror for peeling chrome.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:29:41 AM by Herrmen »

speedoe

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

Well I now have found rust again under my clearcoat. This will be the 3rd time taking the bike in for this problem. At this point I do not feel that the paint will ever be right. I'm going to attempt to get the MOCO to take the bike back and give me credit toward a different model. I'm sick to my stomach over this after shelling out $27000 for this POS. Is there any others that have this problem over and over? Please let me know.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »

Speedoe, seems like you've had this issue for a while. Me too, See my previous posts on this thread. I should give an update for my situation.

My bike has been sitting around tankless and rear fenderless for about 8 weeks now! :'( But, the good news is that the dealer has my new tins and all will be replaced very soon. It was a bit of stuffing around, but i will have the result I want. :pepper:

If you are not getting any where, and you have a similar problem to mine (see pics previously posted) then I suggest you go to a different dealer, and dont take no for an answer. Cause the MOCO know all about this issue, and as you can read in this thread I'm not the only one who has new tin ware from it.

Good luck, keep us posted

speedoe

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 06:20:21 PM »

Segle,
    This will be the third time the dealer will be repacing the skins. What has happened after about 6 months or so the rust spots always start appearing. After 3 times of having the sheetmetal (with new paint job) replaced, I just don't have confidence that the rust problem will be fixed. I have contacted customer service today and told them I want to give the bike back to the MOCO and was told that they would look into a possible solution due to the number of times the rust problem has reocurred. I can't fathom having a $28,000 bike that will always develop rust under the clearcoat. I believe the bare metal will always develop the rust. After purchasing the bike in Sept. 08 I noticed the rust during the following summer, had it taken in and the skins were changed out in November 09 and I thought that would be that. Well in March of this year the rust started again and the dealer took the bike back and finished it in mid May with new skins again. It's been 4 months and the rust is back and the dealer wants the bike again. The dealer is not the problem it's the skins. I'm hoping for a different bike as the solution. If you have yours replaced beware, the problem seems to always come back. I know there has to be many others out there with the same problem.
  Good Luck with yours,
                    Dennis

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »

Hmmm, now you have me a little concerned. I can only hope i dont have a similar experience to you. I have read elsewhere in this forum about lemon laws in the USA, maybe that could be an avenue if that applies in your state??

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »

I just saw this thread and sorry to see you guys have this problem on such a beautiful bike. I'm going to chime in here and reassure you guys that my 05 sefb (first year for the grind metal) and absolutely no issues with the paint or rusting under the clear coat grind metal finish. This bike has about 20k been ridden in the rain probably 10 times including two monsoon trips and sits in a garage that can get down to 20 degrees in the winter here in Chicago. I'm only saying all this to give you guys some hope that this is obviously a process that when done correctly will be durable....

speedoe

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »

I will keep you guys posted. I really wish the bike would be OK and I could keep it as I really don't like the 11 models and that metal grind paint (without the rust) is awesome.

speedoe

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:40 PM »

Well after talking to the MOCO customer service I am really frustrated. Customer service said my request to return the bike and get something else was denied. I was told that their solution was to repaint the skins again. I told them this would be the 4th try at getting a paint job that would not rust under the clearcoat. Customer services response was they could paint the skins a different color and not have the metal grind paint scheme. I told them this was unacceptable as the color would no longer match the vin and would no longer be original. Not to mention the paint was the biggest reason I fell in love with the bike when I first saw it on the showroom floor. I was then told that this was the final decision from the warranty department and there was nothing else that would be offered. I explained that my bike only has 1 month left under warranty and what happens if (when)  (if I do elect for them to repaint the skins again with the original metal grind paint) this paint shows rust. Customer service could not give me an answer. By the way if any of you have this kind of problem call customer service
 (414)343-4056 and get a case number this may help and can't hurt if you have a reocurring problem like I have. Maybe if enough people call and complain the MOCO may actually feel some heat and properly address this issue. I am just an average guy making an average salary......I purchased this bike after years of saving and making sacrifices so that I could afford this purchase and at this point I am very aggravated, sick to my stomach and dunno what else to do. Right now I feel the purchase of this bike was one of my biggest mistakes and I have an idea that I will end up trading this thing in (at a big loss). What a mess!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »

I wonder how many of our bikes without the metal grind scheme are rusting under the paint like an invisible cancer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.