Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rust Spots in Paint?  (Read 12224 times)

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Re: Rust Spots in Paint?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »

Well, after waiting for the last 3 and a half weeks Harley finally made a decision and they are replacing all of the painted parts on my springer. Now, I get to wait another 2 weeks for the parts to come in. I am angry at how ling it is taking but I think I am just suffering more from withdrawl symptoms of not having my bike. ha ha.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »

Well, after waiting for the last 3 and a half weeks Harley finally made a decision and they are replacing all of the painted parts on my springer. Now, I get to wait another 2 weeks for the parts to come in. I am angry at how ling it is taking but I think I am just suffering more from withdrawl symptoms of not having my bike. ha ha.

Why don't you ride it with the old stuff on until the new replacements parts come in? That's what I did.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »

The dealer I go to is a little over 100 miles one way and didn't want to ask friends to drive me over there and back 3 more times instead of one more time.

thealaskan

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
    • Road Art (photogs)
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:46 PM »

Damn... this is a serious issue.  I hope HD responds accordingly.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

I've got the same issue with the paint on my tank also, so its going into our local dealer soon to get it looked at. I hope they dont try and brush me off, i'll soon find out, i'm heartened a bit by the fact that the moco seem to know of the problem.  :(

ed ammon

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »

replaced rear fender because of rust under paint and just noticed after cleaning front fender starting to rust in seams. called hd customer service and talked to a woman who new nothing about anything and told me that harley doesnt fix the paint after the bike leaves the showroom. She didnt know anything about the non primered paint job that harley puts out on these bikes and I think she didnt even know what primer is. I would like to keep bike and sand blast chitty paint off, primer and repaint but Im afraid it would ruin value of bike. She sent me back to the dealer who doesnt want to deal with me after buying 12 new bikes from them.

harlee79

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:19 PM »

replaced rear fender because of rust under paint and just noticed after cleaning front fender starting to rust in seams. called hd customer service and talked to a woman who new nothing about anything and told me that harley doesnt fix the paint after the bike leaves the showroom. She didnt know anything about the non primered paint job that harley puts out on these bikes and I think she didnt even know what primer is. I would like to keep bike and sand blast chitty paint off, primer and repaint but Im afraid it would ruin value of bike. She sent me back to the dealer who doesnt want to deal with me after buying 12 new bikes from them.

which dealer, I'd like to avoid them..

2009 FXSTSSE3 -Screaming Eagle Springer
2003 FLSTSI - Heritage Springer

ed ammon

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »

the new rawhide harley davidson! A 2008 bike is done with harley fixing anything thats how they are going to get away with this crappy paint job. After talking to roxanne at the mother plant, shes the service manager that you get to talk to because the dealers dont want to talk about this paint anymore. She knows nothing about these motorcycles and there problems. The plants new answer as of thursday is if you send it in we will fix it and you will pay for it.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 04:57:17 AM »

I'd like to know if the problem i have with my paint is the same as some of you are experiencing, it appears as a very fine "squigly" line. Mine is mainly in the tank area, but i can see a few spots in the fender under the seat (under the clear protective film). Knowing what others are finding would really help me out as I am also not having any joy with repair at the moment

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 06:12:01 AM »

Two more

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 06:16:49 AM »

3rd shot, this one u can see 3 spots, mid shot, in the clear coat.

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »

3rd shot, this one u can see 3 spots, mid shot, in the clear coat.

That is the same thing that happened to me. The number of spots kept growing too. MOCO replace them for free so there is precedent for them doing so. Replaced rear fender, headlight, and tank. Oh yeah and my left mirror for peeling chrome.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:29:41 AM by Herrmen »

speedoe

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

Well I now have found rust again under my clearcoat. This will be the 3rd time taking the bike in for this problem. At this point I do not feel that the paint will ever be right. I'm going to attempt to get the MOCO to take the bike back and give me credit toward a different model. I'm sick to my stomach over this after shelling out $27000 for this POS. Is there any others that have this problem over and over? Please let me know.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »

Speedoe, seems like you've had this issue for a while. Me too, See my previous posts on this thread. I should give an update for my situation.

My bike has been sitting around tankless and rear fenderless for about 8 weeks now! :'( But, the good news is that the dealer has my new tins and all will be replaced very soon. It was a bit of stuffing around, but i will have the result I want. :pepper:

If you are not getting any where, and you have a similar problem to mine (see pics previously posted) then I suggest you go to a different dealer, and dont take no for an answer. Cause the MOCO know all about this issue, and as you can read in this thread I'm not the only one who has new tin ware from it.

Good luck, keep us posted

speedoe

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 06:20:21 PM »

Segle,
    This will be the third time the dealer will be repacing the skins. What has happened after about 6 months or so the rust spots always start appearing. After 3 times of having the sheetmetal (with new paint job) replaced, I just don't have confidence that the rust problem will be fixed. I have contacted customer service today and told them I want to give the bike back to the MOCO and was told that they would look into a possible solution due to the number of times the rust problem has reocurred. I can't fathom having a $28,000 bike that will always develop rust under the clearcoat. I believe the bare metal will always develop the rust. After purchasing the bike in Sept. 08 I noticed the rust during the following summer, had it taken in and the skins were changed out in November 09 and I thought that would be that. Well in March of this year the rust started again and the dealer took the bike back and finished it in mid May with new skins again. It's been 4 months and the rust is back and the dealer wants the bike again. The dealer is not the problem it's the skins. I'm hoping for a different bike as the solution. If you have yours replaced beware, the problem seems to always come back. I know there has to be many others out there with the same problem.
  Good Luck with yours,
                    Dennis
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.