Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Saddlebags  (Read 11915 times)

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
Saddlebags
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

Make sure your bags are locked on before pulling out! I made the mistake of being in a hurry and didn't triple check them, lost one on the road and it got hit by a car. That stupid mistake will cost me $545 for the 1 bag. Live and learn. :oops:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:15:08 AM »

Don't feel like a lone ranger... there's another site member that did the same thing. He was lucky though, it wasn't run over and basically undamaged.

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »

Happened to me as well. Bag is okay, but need to double check they are clicked on before you ride.
Live To Win!

Device

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." Maximus

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »

This happened to the dealer prior to taking delivery on the bike.  The tech took it out for a quick test, bag fell off and got scratched up.  They ordered me a whole new bag.  Lesson learned before it actually happened to me.

fmonty

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »

Happened to me the day after I took delivery.  I was lucky, it slid on it's "backside" and suffered minor scraping that buffed out nicely.  I stopped, ran back to retrieve the bag, a cop rounded the corner, stopped in front of my bag flashing his lights.  I looked up gave him the finger (my thumb), he responded with a thumbs up as well.  All good.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

This has happened to BOTH of my bags now. After the second one took a dive I put a sign in my garage to "CHECK BAGS" before leaving. I was 90% sure they were locked before the second incident and now after hearing this has happened to so many others makes me believe there may be a defect here. Given how expensive these bags are to replace I will be making SURE I check them before every ride. If it happens again it will be a warranty claim as I will be 100% sure it is not an oversight on my part.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »

Mike.. just a thought...

Grab your video camera and set the date to show on the screen. Take a video of the bags locked before you go on a ride. Bring the camera with you. If it comes off again you will have evidence to give to MoCo. Without real evidence it is your word against theirs if you know where I'm coming from and that's like pushing a rope uphill.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:47:20 AM by Mr. Wizard »

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

This has happened to BOTH of my bags now. After the second one took a dive I put a sign in my garage to "CHECK BAGS" before leaving. I was 90% sure they were locked before the second incident and now after hearing this has happened to so many others makes me believe there may be a defect here. Given how expensive these bags are to replace I will be making SURE I check them before every ride. If it happens again it will be a warranty claim as I will be 100% sure it is not an oversight on my part.

MikeV

I hear that! I was certain I had mine locked also. I usually lock, unlock, lock with finger underneath to be sure. I went to Surdyke for the replacement and saved a few dollars, but if it happens again I will go bagless from then on because they sure as hell are not worth $545 per bag. A simple clip put on the bag support where it attatches to the bottom frame is all it would take to be sure they don't slide back and come loose. I think I'll work on one and let you guys know what I come up with.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:52:34 PM by ezpgh »

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »

I hear that! I was certain I had mine locked also. I usually lock, unlock, lock with finger underneath to be sure. I went to Surdyke for the replacement and saved a few dollars, but if it happens again I will go bagless from then on because they sure as hell are not worth $545 per bag. A simple clip put on the bag support where it attatches to the bottom frame is all it would take to be sure they don't slide back and come loose. I think I'll work on one and let you guys know what I come up with.

You know? I think you got something there . . .

I'm not very creative but I remember my dad having a trigger lock on his 38 special. Something like that would also serve to keep some low-life from lifting our bags while we're away...
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »

My right bag goes on and locks slick as a whistle.  My left one needs a firm "smack" with my hand to drive the mechanism home.  The left one was originally almost impossible to remove as whoever handled the bag last got things misaligned and jammed it so bad I had to replace the spacers at the dealership.  What I consider a deficiency on the part of the moco is the fact the bags are 33% less usable space than stock bags on the Heritage.  Look behind your bags and tell me what is occupying all that extra space back there??? Air!  Think of all the space back there that could have been incorporated into the saddle bag!  My immediate thought was that the bags were really not custom built for this bike.  Must have been custom made for something else and somebody thought, "Gee, we could use them on this bike at $545 (???) per !   A shame.  I would love riding down the road with some real "stuff" in the bags on this bike.   Pork

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

Pork,

Here's how to fix that sticky left bag: Loosen the 3 bolts that hold on the lower mounting bracket and put the bag on the bike. Tighten them up once the bag is on the bike and fully in place. It will operate as smoothly as the right one. I found that out after I replaced the arm that got bent when the bag took a tumble.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:10 AM »

"Well, that certainly makes sense.  I'll try that when I get home today.  thanks.   Pork

Paulie

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »

The dealer test rode my bike and lost a bag.  They order a new one.  You are right - check many times.......'

San Jancinto Harly in Pasadena TX also lost my key and fob....................Oh well

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »

The first time my left bag came off I had to replace the bar attached to the bag because it got bent. I was sure I had secured the bag, but decided maybe it was my error. Now this past weekend the bag came off again and is now somewhere on the highway. Prior to leaving on the trip I triple checked the bags before I took off. So I am contacting HD to file a claim. Do any of you know who to contact and what the procedure is to take care of it? Thanks for the help.
Live To Win!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »

The first time my left bag came off I had to replace the bar attached to the bag because it got bent. I was sure I had secured the bag, but decided maybe it was my error. Now this past weekend the bag came off again and is now somewhere on the highway. Prior to leaving on the trip I triple checked the bags before I took off. So I am contacting HD to file a claim. Do any of you know who to contact and what the procedure is to take care of it? Thanks for the help.
To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.