Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Recommendations for Road Glide Front Suspension  (Read 10024 times)

td119

• Elite CVO Member
Recommendations for Road Glide Front Suspension
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »

Looking to improve the handling of my 09 SERG, last summer I change the rear shocks to Öhlins which made a great difference.  :bananarock:  Now it is time to improve the front suspension.  Have narrowed the choice down to either  Progressive Mono Tube or Race Tech "gold Valve" and spring kit.  The cost of both are very close, $250-$300.  Would like to hear the pro's and con's and any recommendations......... 
 :)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »

Ricors. Had em for awhile but not installed yet- will be come spring. Heard nothing but good things.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
Re: Recommendations for Road Glide Front Suspension
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »

Ricors at the front, but still not sure, what to do about the back.
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »

Ricors at the front, but still not sure, what to do about the back.

Check out Bitubo shocks...made in Italy.  If you do a search here, you will find many threads on those shocks.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

Looking to improve the handling of my 09 SERG, last summer I change the rear shocks to Öhlins which made a great difference.  :bananarock:  Now it is time to improve the front suspension.  Have narrowed the choice down to either  Progressive Mono Tube or Race Tech "gold Valve" and spring kit.  The cost of both are very close, $250-$300.  Would like to hear the pro's and con's and any recommendations......... 

The AK-20's work!

http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20AxxionCartridgeKit_Harley-Davidson.aspx

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »

If done the Ricors (02 SERK) and the Progressive Monotubes (08 SERK / 11 SESG) in my bikes. The Monotubes work very well. No brake dive. Tracks around corners better.

The Ricors do help but I give the nod to the Monotubes.

JW

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »

Have tried both Monotubes and Ricors. Didn't like the Monotubes--bottomed out and had a terrible clunk when brake applied. Ricors work great. Have them on now and like them.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »

For the money I don't think you can beat the Ricor Intiminators, not sure if there is a CVO discount, check the third party selling category here. I have them in the front of my RK and they made a big improvement over stock. Just slip them in the forks and add the oil that comes in the kit.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/

Craig
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:56:55 AM by Talon »

Desert Dave

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »

Ricor Intiminators for the front,  a noticeable upgrade.  Have Ricors on the back as well, and once they were dialed in, a tremendous upgrade over stock.   Ricor folks are very good to work with, want to make you happy with their products and stand by them.
2009 FLTRSE3 CVO - Black / Orange - Clear View 14" smoked windshield, Full size custom painted tour-pack. SERT, 1.75 inch Fullsacs. Wild 1 517's, lowers, RICOR rear shocks, and Intiminator's on the front.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »

Have tried both Monotubes and Ricors. Didn't like the Monotubes--bottomed out and had a terrible clunk when brake applied. Ricors work great. Have them on now and like them.

That's the first negative review I've seen of the Progressive Monotubes.  Who did the install?  I wonder if the fluid level was correct?  Could you tell if it was one or both forks?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

td119

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »

I agree with Sadunbar, this is the first time I have seen a negative posting about the Progressive Monotubes  ???, would like to hear more about the issue you had Indenial and if you found the tubes defective, bend ………

I was leading towards them  :( any additional insight ………

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 06:47:06 AM »

Definitely check the fluid level on the monotubes, They work great if serviced correctly. Mine were over serviced. If I am correct I believe it took 5.5 oz in each tube. I have the 940s on the back and monotubes on the front on an '08 RK and it handles curves great with no wobble.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »

I had the Progressive Monotubes and 440HD's installed several thousand miles back and they were the best bang for the buck that I have received.  I also asked for and received opinions from riders here on the forum, can be dangerous if you do not have a large savings account, and they were correct. The Progressive Monotubes and shocks stopped the nose dive, rear end rebound and gave me a significant ride improvement.  I had never read a negative experience until the one in this thread about bottoming out.  Find it very hard to believe.  Mine are still rock solid.  :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

The AK-20's work!

http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20AxxionCartridgeKit_Harley-Davidson.aspx

Have ridden a RK that used to belong to me after it had this set-up and a borrowed SERG with these and I have to say they are worth every penny they cost.

B B

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »

I had Progressive monotube and 440s on a 2010 Ultra Classic, and they were a definite improvement over stock. I subsequently sold that bike.

I have Bitubos and Traxxion on my 09 SERG and its a huge improvement over the progressives. Well worth the extra money (for me).

In either case, you need someone installing them who knows suspension and can help set it up for your weight, riding style, etc.
live free and ride safe

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49064.msg726482;topicseen#msg726482

Here's the comparison I posted. They just didn't work out and Progressive wasn't much help. Love the Ricors though.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:37 PM »

Ricor Intiminators for the front,  a noticeable upgrade.  Have Ricors on the back as well, and once they were dialed in, a tremendous upgrade over stock.   Ricor folks are very good to work with, want to make you happy with their products and stand by them.

D D

How much preload you doing with the Ricor rear shocks. I'm not having a lot of luck get them dialed in.

JW

amitchum

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »

This question is for the guys who installed the monotubes on their FLTRSE3s....which monotube kit did use (stock, 1" lowered, etc)?  Looking to put on them on my FLTRSE3 and not sure which one to buy?  Thanks.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

I've a question on the posts about the suspension "bottoming out " Did it really BOTTOM out or did it TOP out ? A lot of times when you beef up your front forks, you stiffen the travel rate to the point where the springs will push the lower tubes to their max when you drop into a pot hole or something. You'll hear a clunking noise when that happens. If you truly bottomed out, I believe your fender would slam into the frame and leave a  nice dent in the top of the fender between the tubes. Just my opinion of course - - I've been known to be wrong and well , it's like you telling me about how great the girl you picked up in the bar last night was - - - I had to be there   :D

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »

This question is for the guys who installed the monotubes on their FLTRSE3s....which monotube kit did use (stock, 1" lowered, etc)?  Looking to put on them on my FLTRSE3 and not sure which one to buy?  Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that your bike came with the lowered suspension...one easy way to check is to measure from bolt to bolt on the rear shock with them fully extended...if it measures 12" you have the lowered suspension, so you would need a 1" lower suspension in the front forks as well.  If you've got the 12" shocks that HD puts on the bikes at the factory to "lower" them, you've also got the "lowering kit" that HD sells and installs on the factory "lowered" bikes.

The only difference is that the stock HD suspension, no matter if it's lowered or not, still sucks.  The "normal" shock length for a HD is 13" from eye to eye.  If you like the lowered look/feel, or if you are vertically challenged (like me), then keep the bike lowered, being mindful that you give up 1" of suspension travel on a bike that already has a pretty short suspension travel.  You can also install the "normal" height Monotubes, and a pair of 13" shocks on the rear to get the bike back up to a full suspension travel.

Then again, if you do nothing to the suspension, you'll never know that it sucks because you have nothing to compare it to, until you ride a bike that has decent suspension, then you won't like the stock setup so much...In that case, ignorance really is bliss... ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:10:09 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

I've a question on the posts about the suspension "bottoming out " Did it really BOTTOM out or did it TOP out ? A lot of times when you beef up your front forks, you stiffen the travel rate to the point where the springs will push the lower tubes to their max when you drop into a pot hole or something. You'll hear a clunking noise when that happens. If you truly bottomed out, I believe your fender would slam into the frame and leave a  nice dent in the top of the fender between the tubes. Just my opinion of course - - I've been known to be wrong and well , it's like you telling me about how great the girl you picked up in the bar last night was - - - I had to be there   :D

B B

B B...I could also be mistaken, but I don't think there is enough travel in the front suspension to ever allow the fender to hit from the suspension bottoming out, UNLESS one has installed a larger front wheel/tire, like a 21".  Then, it might be possible.  With the stock setup, it is certainly possible to top out the front (and the rear too, for that matter) due to poor rebound damping...you can do that on the front just by twisting the throttle in 1st and 2nd.  IMO, the front end can bottom out just by grabbing a good handfull of front brake...it allows waaaay too much dive, actually to the point of being a bit of a safety issue.  That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those... :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh TC  like the old man at the top of the mtn, in your words there are gems of wisdom but one has to mine them.

After some thought, I have reached the conclusion that your post is a testament to why a man should be monogamous.

B B

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »

B B...I could also be mistaken, but I don't think there is enough travel in the front suspension to ever allow the fender to hit from the suspension bottoming out, UNLESS one has installed a larger front wheel/tire, like a 21".  Then, it might be possible.  With the stock setup, it is certainly possible to top out the front (and the rear too, for that matter) due to poor rebound damping...you can do that on the front just by twisting the throttle in 1st and 2nd.  IMO, the front end can bottom out just by grabbing a good handfull of front brake...it allows waaaay too much dive, actually to the point of being a bit of a safety issue.  That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those... :huepfenlol2:
From experience I can tell you that I bottomed out my front forks onto the fender. But the x factor for me was I changed the front brake splitter under the triple tree to a Goodrich part. I got lazy and used the large headed bolt from the stock part and not an Allen head and I have a small half circle divot in the fender. So it gets close real close. To hitting stock.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

From experience I can tell you that I bottomed out my front forks onto the fender. But the x factor for me was I changed the front brake splitter under the triple tree to a Goodrich part. I got lazy and used the large headed bolt from the stock part and not an Allen head and I have a small half circle divot in the fender. So it gets close real close. To hitting stock.

OUCH!!  Didn't know that had happened, Q.  Remembering back to when we were both getting new wheels and the brake lines you mention, I guess it would have been possible for the same to have happened to me, EXCEPT, I had the Traxxion front end, so perhaps that is why it never happened to my '06.  Plus, from what I hear about the roads up in your part of the world, there are some hellish potholes.

TTS Mastertune

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »

I bashed a hell of a dent in one of my 03 SERK front fenders the same way

B B

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »

Should put a little rubber bumper on that screw!

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »

have progressive monotubes and seem to work well.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.