Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone ever used True-Track on their Harley  (Read 25415 times)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Anyone ever used True-Track on their Harley
« on: June 10, 2004, 09:59:56 AM »

Anyone ever used True-Track on their Harley. It's not cheap ($395 msrp) so before I go throwing that kind of money down I want to get some real world reviews. Please share any information you may have. Did install it yourself? Was it difficult to install? Does it eliminate that terrible rear wheel wobble (they call it rear steer)? Pictures of any type would be helpful!!! [smiley=cyclist.gif]
[smiley=worthless.gif]
http://www.true-track.com
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:43:14 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Anyone ever used True-Track on their Harley
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 08:27:20 AM »

Think V-Twin also had a tech article on installing one, very easy and good instructions.  And it does correct rear steer.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »

Have been riding RK's since 95.  Crashed my 03 SERK. The used one I bought to replace it had a True-Track installed. At first I wasn't sure I liked it since my new(used) SERK did not feel like my old one or any other RK I'd ever owned. The first several hundred miles I locked up my brakes several times. With no give to the swingarm and rear wheel, the brakes are stronger. SInce I am headed to Daytona from Dago I figured I better get used to it or get rid of it. I have put about 1,500 miles on the bike in the past month on short hops up to La La Land and you couldn't get me to give it up. The bike tracks corners like a Dyna and doesn't drift around on the damn rain grooves we have here in SoCal. One in awhile a product comes along that delivers on the promises made. My opinion- - - - -This one does.

HD2NV

• 120 H.P. 121 TQ Thats the way it is now
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 10:52:52 PM »

I put one on my 05 the best money I have spent on accessoriesfor any Harley NO MORE WOBBLE  [smiley=banana.gif]
A good friend will bail you out of jail.
Your best friend will be sitting beside you saying that was f$%*ing awesome lets do it again

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »

Sounds like a great solution to a universal problem,although I have a question for those who have installed already.
I use a HD Motorcycle Service Lift to store,clean and do some services on my '05 SEEG. The lift seems to be designed to fit perfectly (careful to align) inside the cross member. When used this way the bike is very stable even at the highest elevations of the lift. If you position the lifts rear arm just in front of the cross member it becomes unbalanced and seems that it wouldn't take much for the bike to fall backwards. I do have the Hog Ties but I would't trust them to hold the bike level at anything more than a inch or two off the floor.
If you are using a lift (frame) that will work with the True-Track, I would appreciate the advice. I like the frame lift becase of the ease of rotating the wheels and its compact size. [smiley=jalapeno.gif]
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 12:13:37 PM »

Sounds like a great solution to a universal problem,although I have a question for those who have installed already.
I use a HD Motorcycle Service Lift to store,clean and do some services on my '05 SEEG. The lift seems to be designed to fit perfectly (careful to align) inside the cross member. When used this way the bike is very stable even at the highest elevations of the lift. If you position the lifts rear arm just in front of the cross member it becomes unbalanced and seems that it wouldn't take much for the bike to fall backwards. I do have the Hog Ties but I would't trust them to hold the bike level at anything more than a inch or two off the floor.
If you are using a lift (frame) that will work with the True-Track, I would appreciate the advice. I like the frame lift becase of the ease of rotating the wheels and its compact size. [smiley=jalapeno.gif]

Check out the Ride STR8. It does the same thing as the true track but mounts differently and will allow you to use you lift. Look for info in the group buy area.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 02:43:59 PM »

I run the True-Track on my 05 SEEG also. I found that with the tour pack and the bags removed ,I can position the rear leg of my lift just in front of the crossmember and it is very stable when lifted. I always tie the bike to the lift though ...whenever it's off the ground.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 03:51:05 PM »

Sure enough,when bags and tour pack removed it's a lot more stable. Obvious solution overlooked by me. I wanted to go the True-Track route-Thanks.
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »

i just installed my True Track last week and took it out saturday for the big test,,     no wobble and it really seemed that it was doing what it says its supposed to do..  felt great at 85 and the rear steer,wobble thing was gone,     i love it and didnt notice anything different with the rear brake.   was perfectly normal to me.  the grooves in the road weren't an issue either..   can't believe how simple the istallation was also..  5 bolts from the transmission the 2 for the cross member,,   i'd recommend it to all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:34:04 PM by cvostu »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »

Just wanted to vent something on this issue. I've seen several products advertised that are knock-offs of the True-Track. Just enough of a difference to avoid a patent suit. That's total crap in my book; a legal form of ripping off True-Track. Pi$$es me off big time. I would like to ask that our site members not support these ripoff brands, but it's a free country and everyone can spend their money as they see fit.

I have been running the True-Track for a couple of years now and all of my riding buddies have them. We are all huge fans of the product and talk it up to anyone not using one. . Ease of installation, performance, quality, anyway you want to guage it, True Track is best. And the best part is if one of you wants to do the legwork as Beagle did recently, True Track will work with you on a group discount.

B B 

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »

Anyone ever used True-Track on their Harley. It's not cheap ($395 msrp) so before I go throwing that kind of money down I want to get some real world reviews. Please share any information you may have. Did install it yourself? Was it difficult to install? Does it eliminate that terrible rear wheel wobble (they call it rear steer)? Pictures of any type would be helpful!!!

You may want to check this thread as well:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21601.0

Ride Safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 07:39:58 PM »

Hey B B,
Have you any thoughts to increased gear oil running temp with the Tru Track?

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

Hey B B,
Have you any thoughts to increased gear oil running temp with the Tru Track?

I thought about this when I put the first one on my 03 SERK a couple years back, but never noticed any difference.

B B

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »

wouldnt adding additional metal around the pan act as an additional heat sink
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 09:24:01 PM »

One would think so, but it doesn't appear to affect the oil temp. The "box" that goes over the oil pan is not a solid four sided affair anyway. I suspect some consideration was given to this since when I first saw this item it was indeed a full box that was shown.

B B

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »

wouldn't adding additional metal around the pan act as an additional heat sink

I don't think the True-Track actually butts up to the trans pan, somone correct me if im wrong, their is an air pocked between the two. So i would think that the stock oil pan still does it's job effectively and probably with no notice to temp changes.

My wife rides a 2004 SERG Electra Glide (my old bike) and complains of wobble every time we get above 70 mph and in tight corning. Since this was my ride a few years ago, i know what she is talking about. I have not experienced any wobble at all on my 2008 UC, so the MOCO changes did something. I plan on installling the True Trac on her bike real soon. In fact, reading this forum, put a bug in me.. I'm going to order one up right now. I'll install it without telling her and let her put it to the test. Remember, she is a woman, so she complains about everthing. If the wobble disapears, we will know for sure. I'll post the results in a few weeks. We are planning a week trip up hwy one to Portland. Same rodes she complained about last year.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

I don't think the True-Track actually butts up to the trans pan, somone correct me if im wrong, their is an air pocked between the two. So i would think that the stock oil pan still does it's job effectively and probably with no notice to temp changes.

My wife rides a 2004 SERG Electra Glide (my old bike) and complains of wobble every time we get above 70 mph and in tight corning. Since this was my ride a few years ago, i know what she is talking about. I have not experienced any wobble at all on my 2008 UC, so the MOCO changes did something. I plan on installling the True Trac on her bike real soon. In fact, reading this forum, put a bug in me.. I'm going to order one up right now. I'll install it without telling her and let her put it to the test. Remember, she is a woman, so she complains about everthing. If the wobble disapears, we will know for sure. I'll post the results in a few weeks. We are planning a week trip up hwy one to Portland. Same rodes she complained about last year.

I've installed 6 of em and I assure you they do indeed "butt up" to the oil pan.

B B

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 01:22:29 PM »

connects right to the trans. pan         then to the cross member,.,,,,,   

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »

I used a

http://www.ridestr8.com/

Help nicely

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »

Try switching your shocks out to Progressive 440's. Cures 98% of the high speed wobble issues and the bike corners much nicer, especially on rough roads. I think you would find you no longer need the tru track. I sure didn't..

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »

Try switching your shocks out to Progressive 440's. Cures 98% of the high speed wobble issues and the bike corners much nicer, especially on rough roads. I think you would find you no longer need the tru track. I sure didn't..

You gotta a good point, I just did it at the same time

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »

Yup, and even with Tru Track, you will want to change the shocks. Try the shocks first... It takes away all the "pucker" IMO!  ;)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »

To late, got a True Trac ordered up. I read a write up in one the bike mags awhile ago doing an install. The snap shots looked like True Trac didn't mate up to the trans pan surface. Know I'm a little concerned knowing it does but i guess no one is seeing heat issues. The 440 seem like a good idea too but I'm curious, don't they add a little more lift in aggressive mode over stock height?

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:03 PM »

Just like all performance suspensions, I think you will have less sag to start with. I ride pretty aggressively considering it's a bagger. All I can tell you is there is no comparison stock suspension with the 440's. If you ride easy, the stock stuff will be fine. I run curves and corners 20-25 over the posted speed. Before it was an issue, with the 440's not at all. The are stiffer though, but the rear wheel does stay in contact with the pavement.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »

Awhile back there was discussion about True Track causing heat temps to raise because it blocked the cooling fins on the trans pan. Yesterday I saw an Electraglide with one of these installed by Terry Componets. www.terrycomp.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=81
This looks like a True Track replica but they corrected the cooling issue. I just installed the True Track on my wife's bike and wish I would have seen this option before I went with the True Track. Beside the cooling issues, the Terry Componet version comes in silver to match silver coated engines. The black True Track really stands out on the silver coated trans. I plan to correct this with a powder coat job soon and there goes another $100 buck.
Anyone try the Terry Componets version?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 09:56:32 AM »

There was also that guy TWR with a new one that mounts more like the RIDESTR8, I couldn't find his post. Mounts in place of the right side passenger peg mount, runs behind the pan so it won't interfer with you jack, or rub on speed bumps. I know a few guys had bought his product, but that's it.

REGGAB

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 02:37:08 PM »

There was also that guy TWR with a new one that mounts more like the RIDESTR8, I couldn't find his post. Mounts in place of the right side passenger peg mount, runs behind the pan so it won't interfer with you jack, or rub on speed bumps. I know a few guys had bought his product, but that's it.

Here you go.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21208.0  I have this setup, and I love it!  The bike goes where I tell it to go.  It's barely noticable in appearance, but when you first install and ride with it, the difference is dramatic.  I'm certain True Track and Ride Str8 are good devices, but the TWR device is GREAT! 

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »

I have this setup, and I love it! 

Thats a nice options too, what is the cost of that one? Terry Componest runs $390.

REGGAB

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

Thats a nice options too, what is the cost of that one? Terry Componest runs $390.

Tracy was selling them here for $320 I believe.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »

I have had the True Track on both my 03 SERK Elvis and on LD my 07 Faux CVO Road Glide and I am a HUGE fan. So far as the issue of the oil pan connector being a "heat sink "  I have not seen any evidence of this. Both bikes ran the same relative oil temps before and after the True Track was installed. As to the other similar items for sale. It is my opinion and only mine that they are all more or less copies of the True Track design. I believe the True Track was the original and others saw the potential and made enough changes to cover patent laws.Some enough so that one could argue they are not copies of the True Track (debateable IMO)  A couple seem like downright ripoffs and it's beyond me how they avoid being sued, but such is the free market. Maybe I'm old fashioned or perhaps just weird, but I don't believe in supporting people who copy other peoples ideas. Like I said, that's just a foible of mine. As such I strongly urge anyone looking to improve the handling of their Harley-Davidson motorcycle to buy the True Track. You won't be disappointed.

B B

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »

You mean kind of like S&S,,,,, now they got away with murder..

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »

You mean kind of like S&S,,,,, now they got away with murder..

Somebody had to make these things go fast!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »

I have had the True Track on both my 03 SERK Elvis and on LD my 07 Faux CVO Road Glide and I am a HUGE fan. So far as the issue of the oil pan connector being a "heat sink "  I have not seen any evidence of this. Both bikes ran the same relative oil temps before and after the True Track was installed. As to the other similar items for sale. It is my opinion and only mine that they are all more or less copies of the True Track design. I believe the True Track was the original and others saw the potential and made enough changes to cover patent laws.Some enough so that one could argue they are not copies of the True Track (debateable IMO)  A couple seem like downright ripoffs and it's beyond me how they avoid being sued, but such is the free market. Maybe I'm old fashioned or perhaps just weird, but I don't believe in supporting people who copy other peoples ideas. Like I said, that's just a foible of mine. As such I strongly urge anyone looking to improve the handling of their Harley-Davidson motorcycle to buy the True Track. You won't be disappointed.

B B

My father was involved in one of these issues.  It would put you out of business as a small business owner in legal fees to sue for patent violation.  These suits go on for years.  If you are going against a large corporation with lots of lawyers, the standard defense is to show that you (Plaintiff) should not have been given a patent in the first place.  Government Patent Office searches are often shabby and careless when looking to see if your idea has already been filed.  Most of the time a well funded private search finds something very similar in some that way the nullifies your patent.  Don't forget that as soon as you file a patent application, the design is public record.  If someone can get your product to market before you, they make the money.  In today's society, its smarter to get the product out on the market at the same time patenting the design, once you've done a reasonable investigation of existing designs.  Being right doesn't mean you win.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »

These links dont work??   :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Being 4 years old, I don't doubt it. Four software years is like 52 human years. :huepfenlol2:

:indian_chief:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »

There's a feature article in the July issue of American Iron on the True-Track. Just in case you want more info. Also some good info on cams.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »

i've had mine for 4 months now and i wouldn't want to have a bike without one.  the true track works great and i'd recommend it to everyone.don't miss the rear steer at all and just makes the bike feel like it handles like it's on rails.   it's a great item to have!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »

i've had mine for 4 months now and i wouldn't want to have a bike without one.  the true track works great and i'd recommend it to everyone.don't miss the rear steer at all and just makes the bike feel like it handles like it's on rails.   it's a great item to have!

I agree 100%

True-track is the one, the original and still the best

But hey, it's a free market ecomony so buy whatever you choose

Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings

B B

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:24:35 PM by SPIDERMAN »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »

Rode the dragon and survived.  I'll give some credit to True-Track.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.