Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: trading bikes  (Read 3541 times)

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
trading bikes
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »

seen a red 2012 sesg today at local dealer wow beautiful i want it. so dealer prices her up for me msrp plus freight prep tax doc fee etc 35800  still not turned off so i tell him about my trade 2010 sesg blue chopped tour pak exhaust etc etc etc. 3000 miles perfect condition well 22000 trade in price think im a little turned off. anyone know what my bike could sell for im thinkin 25 to 27 am i close   thanks terry    sidenote computer crashed lost all my piks but heres one when im loadin it my pkup to go to tenesee
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

Re: trading bikes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »

04 cvo duece blue sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »

Realistic $25k if lucky
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »

At least $25,000   :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »

Looking at the other 2010 and 2011 SESGs that have sold on this forum in the past few weeks......listed at $25k.  But who knows what the seller has been accepting. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »

KBB shows trade-in value about $23,800.  Not sure if the tour pack is going to add much on a trade.  I doubt if the dealer is going to give you $25k...that's probably what they'll hope to sell it for.

Good luck.         

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:22:16 AM »

Salem HD gave me an extra $1,000 for my tour pak on my 04 SEEG when I traded it in.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »

KBB shows trade-in value about $23,800.  Not sure if the tour pack is going to add much on a trade.  I doubt if the dealer is going to give you $25k...that's probably what they'll hope to sell it for.

Good luck.         

I believe his question was how much his bike could sell for, NOT what he can get from the stealer.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

It's almost always better for you to sell your bike to an individual through the newspaper, internet, word of mouth, etc. than trading it in to the stealer. This is true for most all vehicles, especially motorcycles.  The stealer is not out to do you any favors.  Sell it and take the cash and then go make your best deal. Just my opinion.
Jesus is Lord

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

Blue is uncommon color based on what's on the market.  Put it on the site and try to get $25/$26.  $22k is too low for the color & miles......just thinking?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

As best I can tell from checking a few industry sources, average trade-in value will be in the $22-23k neighborhood, not including the value of any add-ons, and retail around $28-29k.  The days of getting what you paid, or anywhere close, when you trade in your Harley are just a distant memory.  These days your Harley depreciates the moment you sign the contract, just like other vehicles.  It's something to think about if you're the type to tire of a vehicle quickly.  Paying premium prices for stuff that depreciates is not a highly recommended practice, especially if you plan to trade every year or two.

You don't mention if there are any other dealers you could work with, but if there are I would suggest getting some numbers from them.  And in the current economy and motorcycle market I wouldn't even consider paying a penny over MSRP for a new bike.  Tell them to take the bogus "extra profit" charges like prep and other fees and put them where the sun don't shine.  If the dealer doesn't want to give you a decent price for your add-ons, take them off and put the bike back to stock.  You can use the parts on the new bike, or sell them on ebay, or whatever.  I'd much rather give them away to a friend or acquaintance versus letting a dealer have them for nothing.  Btw, as noted by others you will be better served financially if you sell your bike privately versus trading it in.  If you split the difference between average trade-in and retail  and use that as your minimum private sale price, you'd be looking at around $26k plus whatever a private customer would be willing to pay for the Tour Pak and other extras.  Another question to ask yourself is how much is it worth to you to not have to deal with selling the bike.  Trading it in is definitely more convenient, but you pay for that convenience.  Nothing a dealer does is out of the goodness of his heart, he is in business to turn as much of a profit as he can.  For some of us it is worth something to not have to get involved with private sales and possibly unscrupulous people or scams, but for others who buy and sell stuff all the time the private sale idea can be well worth the extra time and effort.

What's so special about a 2012 that makes you want to get rid of a very low mileage 2010 that you've already customized to your liking?  If it's the audio stuff, you can add that sort of thing to your 2010 for one hell of a lot less than the $12k plus you stand to lose on a trade with that dealer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

The market is incredibly soft right now.  I bought a bike off this site before Thanksgiving and I picked it up on December 3rd.  If I hadn't, I would have certainly purchase something else by now because there are some incredible deals.  I would have paid $25k for your bike with $3,000 miles in Concord Blue without thinking twice!  Be patient unless money isn't important to you.  Typically things pick up by the end of January.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

mark

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »

I believe his question was how much his bike could sell for, NOT what he can get from the stealer.

I thought he was looking for a negotiation starting point on his trade-in.  Working out the math, if the dealer would give the KBB trade-in value, one may come out better than selling straight out to a third party for 25K.  Not sure what the state sales  tax is, but let's say 9%....if I worked this out correctly, it would cost less to trade-in than to sell the SESG yourself and then have to pay sales tax on the entire sale...plus you avoid the hassle of selling it yourself. 

It may just be me, but I detest having to sell anything to the general public.   

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

thanks for the replies. sure do like that new red bike. but i dont think their givin me any deal on the price of the new one and surely not gonna sell mine that short. ill just wait this type of thing always works itself out. happy holidays terry
04 cvo duece blue sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 04:46:25 PM »

I would definitely consider the savings on the taxes at the dealer on the trade in value as Mark mentioned. Plus, I would keep the tour pack and anything else that wasn't stock and sell it here or on ebay. If you could get them to bump your trade up a grand you would come out ahead of a 25k sale on the street.

23k x 6%= $1,380.00 which makes it the same as a $24,380.00 sale on the street. Then you sell your TP and any other little goodies you might have and you are better than 25k.

If it were me and I wanted that red, I would tell em 23k and I'll leave all the stuff on it! But then that's probably why I don't have any money... :drink:

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »

I would definitely consider the savings on the taxes at the dealer on the trade in value as Mark mentioned. Plus, I would keep the tour pack and anything else that wasn't stock and sell it here or on ebay. If you could get them to bump your trade up a grand you would come out ahead of a 25k sale on the street.

23k x 6%= $1,380.00 which makes it the same as a $24,380.00 sale on the street. Then you sell your TP and any other little goodies you might have and you are better than 25k.

If it were me and I wanted that red, I would tell em 23k and I'll leave all the stuff on it! But then that's probably why I don't have any money... :drink:

My math works the same.  Except here, it's 5%.
Big Lew
IBA #595

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »

Go to ChopperExchange.com, see what the world is selling your bike for, list it there, and see what it does.
Sawyer Ghost

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »

As best I can tell from checking a few industry sources, average trade-in value will be in the $22-23k neighborhood, not including the value of any add-ons, and retail around $28-29k.  The days of getting what you paid, or anywhere close, when you trade in your Harley are just a distant memory.  These days your Harley depreciates the moment you sign the contract, just like other vehicles.  It's something to think about if you're the type to tire of a vehicle quickly.  Paying premium prices for stuff that depreciates is not a highly recommended practice, especially if you plan to trade every year or two.

You don't mention if there are any other dealers you could work with, but if there are I would suggest getting some numbers from them.  And in the current economy and motorcycle market I wouldn't even consider paying a penny over MSRP for a new bike.  Tell them to take the bogus "extra profit" charges like prep and other fees and put them where the sun don't shine.  If the dealer doesn't want to give you a decent price for your add-ons, take them off and put the bike back to stock.  You can use the parts on the new bike, or sell them on ebay, or whatever.  I'd much rather give them away to a friend or acquaintance versus letting a dealer have them for nothing.  Btw, as noted by others you will be better served financially if you sell your bike privately versus trading it in.  If you split the difference between average trade-in and retail  and use that as your minimum private sale price, you'd be looking at around $26k plus whatever a private customer would be willing to pay for the Tour Pak and other extras.  Another question to ask yourself is how much is it worth to you to not have to deal with selling the bike.  Trading it in is definitely more convenient, but you pay for that convenience.  Nothing a dealer does is out of the goodness of his heart, he is in business to turn as much of a profit as he can.  For some of us it is worth something to not have to get involved with private sales and possibly unscrupulous people or scams, but for others who buy and sell stuff all the time the private sale idea can be well worth the extra time and effort.

What's so special about a 2012 that makes you want to get rid of a very low mileage 2010 that you've already customized to your liking?  If it's the audio stuff, you can add that sort of thing to your 2010 for one hell of a lot less than the $12k plus you stand to lose on a trade with that dealer.

Jerry
X2 Agree with Jerry 100%.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »

I thought he was looking for a negotiation starting point on his trade-in.  Working out the math, if the dealer would give the KBB trade-in value, one may come out better than selling straight out to a third party for 25K.  Not sure what the state sales  tax is, but let's say 9%....if I worked this out correctly, it would cost less to trade-in than to sell the SESG yourself and then have to pay sales tax on the entire sale...plus you avoid the hassle of selling it yourself. 

It may just be me, but I detest having to sell anything to the general public.   

Michigan sales tax is only 6%, and there is no trade reduction credit.  If the dealer give his $22K that's all he gets, he still pays tax on the full sale price of the new bike.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »

Go to ChopperExchange.com, see what the world is selling your bike for, list it there, and see what it does.
Pretty good idea but he will only see what the world "thinks" his bike should sell for. I don't think most of them are selling for anything close to what most people are asking for them. I listed my 99' Road King Classic on ChopperExchange for nearly a year, it had about 35,000 miles, price was $10,500, it received over 1000 views but I only had about 4 calls, those calls all wanted to trade me something that I didn't need (truck,trailer) or offer me $7,000. That was the way it went for me, I don't know about anyone else. I would guess he might experience the same thing.     

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »

When I traded in my '08 SERK Annie, both dealers I was trying to deal with said that they would give me the same for it modified or as showroom stock.  I took my V&H Dresser duals off, V&H oval mufflers, SE AC, leather tour pak and traded.  They allowed me $23k in on an '09 SERG the week before the '10s came out.  I was holding out thinking they might do another SERG for '10, but when the SESG hit, I was all for getting one of the last '09 SERG's.

They had my bike for almost 9 months and sold it for $25k.  I sold all the take off items for around $1,500.  I consider that a pretty good deal.

Years ago I would try and sell before I would ever trade in, but in my older age, trading in is worth the stress of getting it advertised and dealing with private buyers.  I would still sell locally if someone wanted to buy it, but I would not actively promote a sale.

I think the dealer could cut the adders off the top of the MSRP and that would probably be a pretty decent deal for you. 

I agree with others that your bike is worth more than the trade in price, but there is a cost to the dealership to do the trade and if you push them they will probably cut the prep etc stuff off.  I would ask him straight up if "stock" is worth the same as your bike is now.  Also as someone else said, try another dealership and even if they don't have the same color you want, use their pricing, if better, to push your dealer down a bit.

Good luck with your purchase if you move forward.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

Just so you know.  I just saw another 2010 blue with 5166 miles.  Asking 27,500.  Not that bad. 

mark

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »

Michigan sales tax is only 6%, and there is no trade reduction credit.  If the dealer give his $22K that's all he gets, he still pays tax on the full sale price of the new bike.

Yikes...no credit on your sales tax for a trade-in in Michigan.   

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »

You may want to consider your bike may never be worth more than it is today. Next year 18k who knows? But if it is a bike you enjoy thats  how u earn your dollars invested by having all that fun riding! an investment in enjoyment!

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »

You may want to consider your bike may never be worth more than it is today. Next year 18k who knows? But if it is a bike you enjoy thats  how u earn your dollars invested by having all that fun riding! an investment in enjoyment!

So go buy a new one and let that depreciate $5k plus throw another $3k minimum in accessories to make it yours?  I run car dealerships, we strive on that thought process, but as brothers in arms, not smart unless you have no issues burning Benjamins!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »

My question here,  is it better to just hang onto them for as long as you can anj just keep piling up the miles? Mine is now 8 yes old and now I have 72k miles.  I bet I can get a bunch for that now.  So I have name on a new sesg3 in black.  But now I am thinking about Hot Citris.   Decisions decisions.     :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

The answer to that question is different for everybody.  For some like the OP, a simple difference like the change in color seems to be the main driver.  For others, that, along with the new frame, ABS, and other changes are needed in order to cough up the cash.  It hasn't happened yet for me, but then again, I did get rid of a perfectly fine '02 Electra Glide Classic to get my '04 SEEG and then I bought a '00 SERG to add to the stable just 'cause I liked the looks of 'em.

It should be obvious that the best fiscal decision is to keep what you have, at least to the point it no longer becomes reliable and maintenance costs and the related downtime get to be too much.  But, buying a motorcycle is usually more of an emotional experience than a rational one.  And that's the way it probably should be.  :2vrolijk_21:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »

Brian.  I agree totally with that.  I still have mine and still love it.  I am thinking about new frames. Abs and all that. Maybe that's the driver this time.  But really, is it smart to keep piling them up.  I could have 90 k miles on that soon and I'm thinking how long can I go on this one.  So it just be my time soon while I still have it me me and I can somehow afford it.  I'll keep you posted if anyone really cares. 

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »

My question here,  is it better to just hang onto them for as long as you can anj just keep piling up the miles? Mine is now 8 yes old and now I have 72k miles.  I bet I can get a bunch for that now.  So I have name on a new sesg3 in black.  But now I am thinking about Hot Citris.   Decisions decisions.     :nixweiss:
Hot Citris is well...HOT! But I've always loved black bikes, cars, boats. Tuff call. I wanted to keep the 99RKC but she wouldn't let me...I mean we decided to trade it in, yeah thats my story and I'm sticking to it.lol

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »

Brian.  I agree totally with that.  I still have mine and still love it.  I am thinking about new frames. Abs and all that. Maybe that's the driver this time.  But really, is it smart to keep piling them up.  I could have 90 k miles on that soon and I'm thinking how long can I go on this one.  So it just be my time soon while I still have it me me and I can somehow afford it.  I'll keep you posted if anyone really cares. 
I care buddy! You need to ride a new one, you will say what took me so long! ABS brakes are worth the price of admission. IMO

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 03:20:41 AM »

When I traded in my '08 SERK Annie, both dealers I was trying to deal with said that they would give me the same for it modified or as showroom stock.  I took my V&H Dresser duals off, V&H oval mufflers, SE AC, leather tour pak and traded.  They allowed me $23k in on an '09 SERG the week before the '10s came out.  I was holding out thinking they might do another SERG for '10, but when the SESG hit, I was all for getting one of the last '09 SERG's.

They had my bike for almost 9 months and sold it for $25k.  I sold all the take off items for around $1,500.  I consider that a pretty good deal.

Years ago I would try and sell before I would ever trade in, but in my older age, trading in is worth the stress of getting it advertised and dealing with private buyers.  I would still sell locally if someone wanted to buy it, but I would not actively promote a sale.

I think the dealer could cut the adders off the top of the MSRP and that would probably be a pretty decent deal for you. 

I agree with others that your bike is worth more than the trade in price, but there is a cost to the dealership to do the trade and if you push them they will probably cut the prep etc stuff off.  I would ask him straight up if "stock" is worth the same as your bike is now.  Also as someone else said, try another dealership and even if they don't have the same color you want, use their pricing, if better, to push your dealer down a bit.

Good luck with your purchase if you move forward.

What I see more and more is even the Hawaii Dealers willing to deal.... (Typically $5-10K OVER MSRP) unless you know someone.... so MSRP is now approachable and they are willing to not haggle on trade-in and actually give you KBB trade-in.. and they tell you to make the bike as stock as possible before turning it in.... and either sell off your extras or repaint and install on your new scoot.

Thinking long and hard about the 2012 "FLTRXSE-woody", but with losing about 12% of my net pay sure freaking hurt ...

THe big disadvantage here is that it truly is a captive market... unless youre willing to have an out of state dealer ship the bike and do courtesy delivery here through one of 3 on island dealers.... Or trust one of the shipping companies to get it here in one piece... either way its some money out of pocket... I cant just drive to the next state (I might get a little wet)

I guess I'll decide when I see it in person....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »

Trading my 09 CVO road glide on the 12 CVO road glide made sense to me.

1.  I have over 40K on the 09, and do not know the next time a CVO road glide will be made.
2.  I liked the looks of the 12 CVO road glide skunk.
3.  I got a very good price for my trade.
4.  Above lowered the tax on the new bike, to the difference.
5.  Made me Happy.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »

Thanks Arland.  Good to hear. I'm starting to get excited some now about something new.   :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:02:24 PM by cvostu »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »

The skunk is very striking. It took some restraint on my part not to pull the trigger on one sitting on the showroom floor at a dealer near me a couple weeks ago. One of these days ...

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

WOW!!! I Love your Blue one, I wish I had seen one like it when I bought Mine used. If I weren't BROKE I would buy it and add it to my stable!!!!
MNTransplant
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 21 queries.