Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: trading bikes  (Read 3542 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: trading bikes
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 03:20:41 AM »

When I traded in my '08 SERK Annie, both dealers I was trying to deal with said that they would give me the same for it modified or as showroom stock.  I took my V&H Dresser duals off, V&H oval mufflers, SE AC, leather tour pak and traded.  They allowed me $23k in on an '09 SERG the week before the '10s came out.  I was holding out thinking they might do another SERG for '10, but when the SESG hit, I was all for getting one of the last '09 SERG's.

They had my bike for almost 9 months and sold it for $25k.  I sold all the take off items for around $1,500.  I consider that a pretty good deal.

Years ago I would try and sell before I would ever trade in, but in my older age, trading in is worth the stress of getting it advertised and dealing with private buyers.  I would still sell locally if someone wanted to buy it, but I would not actively promote a sale.

I think the dealer could cut the adders off the top of the MSRP and that would probably be a pretty decent deal for you. 

I agree with others that your bike is worth more than the trade in price, but there is a cost to the dealership to do the trade and if you push them they will probably cut the prep etc stuff off.  I would ask him straight up if "stock" is worth the same as your bike is now.  Also as someone else said, try another dealership and even if they don't have the same color you want, use their pricing, if better, to push your dealer down a bit.

Good luck with your purchase if you move forward.

What I see more and more is even the Hawaii Dealers willing to deal.... (Typically $5-10K OVER MSRP) unless you know someone.... so MSRP is now approachable and they are willing to not haggle on trade-in and actually give you KBB trade-in.. and they tell you to make the bike as stock as possible before turning it in.... and either sell off your extras or repaint and install on your new scoot.

Thinking long and hard about the 2012 "FLTRXSE-woody", but with losing about 12% of my net pay sure freaking hurt ...

THe big disadvantage here is that it truly is a captive market... unless youre willing to have an out of state dealer ship the bike and do courtesy delivery here through one of 3 on island dealers.... Or trust one of the shipping companies to get it here in one piece... either way its some money out of pocket... I cant just drive to the next state (I might get a little wet)

I guess I'll decide when I see it in person....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »

Trading my 09 CVO road glide on the 12 CVO road glide made sense to me.

1.  I have over 40K on the 09, and do not know the next time a CVO road glide will be made.
2.  I liked the looks of the 12 CVO road glide skunk.
3.  I got a very good price for my trade.
4.  Above lowered the tax on the new bike, to the difference.
5.  Made me Happy.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »

Thanks Arland.  Good to hear. I'm starting to get excited some now about something new.   :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:02:24 PM by cvostu »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »

The skunk is very striking. It took some restraint on my part not to pull the trigger on one sitting on the showroom floor at a dealer near me a couple weeks ago. One of these days ...

MNTransplant

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF Veteran (12 Years), originally from Kansas

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

WOW!!! I Love your Blue one, I wish I had seen one like it when I bought Mine used. If I weren't BROKE I would buy it and add it to my stable!!!!
MNTransplant
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.