Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Unresolved removable Tourpak LED Wiring Issue with 2011 CVO Street Glide  (Read 8891 times)

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)

Thunderbueller, just took a few pictures of the molex connectors for my existing tail lights. Here's one of the ECM bay with taillight harness to the lower right of the picture. Have a few others to post and one or two of the HD molex wire harness with RTB module wired in from HD.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

This one shows where the wires split off to go to the left and right tail lights and the license plate light. Not the clearest picture, but you get the idea.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Here is a pic of the two Molex connectors joined together. The uper one with the brow and violet wires visible is what carries power to the tail lights and the and the license plate light. I am thinking a Molex Y connector needs to go in between these two connectors to provide power to the HD R/T/B module and the LED tourpak lights and to my existing tail lights.
The upper 8 pin Molex connector that goes to the existing tail lights has two rows of four pins each numbered 1 to 4 and 5 to 8. 1 to 4 is wired as follows:
1 brown wire;
2 blank or white plastic pin;
3 violet wire;
4 blank or white plastic pin;
5 black;
6 red with yellow stripe;
7 blue; and
8 blank or white plastic pin.
The wires coming off the main harness are arranged somewhat differently:
1 brown;
2 orange with white stripe;
3 violet;
4 blank or white plastic pin;
5 black;
6 red with yellow stripe;
7 blue; and
8 blank or white plastic pin.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

The part of the harness that goes to the rear fender LED lights and the license plate light is the same harness they used of the 2009 CVO Roadglide, which is the first time HD came out with the new style of fender and integrated tail lights in the fascia.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

Thunderbueller, just took a few pictures of the molex connectors for my existing tail lights. Here's one of the ECM bay with taillight harness to the lower right of the picture. Have a few others to post and one or two of the HD molex wire harness with RTB module wired in from HD.

It's at this junction where you would plug in the Y that goes to the TP. You don't need to concern yourself with left or right. Really, for the relatively low cost of it you can't beat Ride Time's Y harness.

TIF2's bike was modified to use the AMP Multilock connectors, thus modifying two much more expensive harnesses than just a Y that can be removed at any time and the bike is back to being completely stock. Thanks TIF2 for clearing this up. I was REALLY having some doubts.  :-\
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

I'd add the third leg of that Y IS AMP Multilock to go the TP harness, the 8-pin Molex that comes in the kit goes inside the TP. Look at the Figure 3 diagram in your instructions, the two unplugged ends are the ends that need to be Molex to plug in at the connection at the top post of this thread page that you posted.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Thanks again Thunderbueller, I did look at that in the instructions which clearly state the RTB module goes inside the TP, not under the saddle.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

Really, for the relatively low cost of it you can't beat Ride Time's Y harness.

For the Ride Time harness - are you talking about the one that goes under the side cover? Or do they make one that connects between the molex connectors? If they make one with an MX150 interface, do you have the part number?

TIF2's bike was modified to use the AMP Multilock connectors, thus modifying two much more expensive harnesses than just a Y that can be removed at any time and the bike is back to being completely stock. Thanks TIF2 for clearing this up. I was REALLY having some doubts.  :-\

Would have been nice if they mentioned they would have to modify the connection from Molex to Multilock. I guess in the end it doesn't matter but I probably would have built my own MX150 Y-harness had I known. I may restore this over the winter if I need some busy work  :)

Of course, mine is now more like a CVO Ultra which may or may not be a good thing.   When I did the RTB conversion on my bro's 2012 CVO Ultra it went in exactly like my FLHXSE2 is wired. Can't decide which way is better over the long haul  :-\
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

For the Ride Time harness - are you talking about the one that goes under the side cover? Or do they make one that connects between the molex connectors? If they make one with an MX150 interface, do you have the part number?

Would have been nice if they mentioned they would have to modify the connection from Molex to Multilock. I guess in the end it doesn't matter but I probably would have built my own MX150 Y-harness had I known. I may restore this over the winter if I need some busy work  :)

Of course, mine is now more like a CVO Ultra which may or may not be a good thing.   When I did the RTB conversion on my bro's 2012 CVO Ultra it went in exactly like my FLHXSE2 is wired. Can't decide which way is better over the long haul  :-\

The Ride Time module also is made for the Ultra so I swapped out the Y it comes with for one with Molex connectors, Keith was very accommodating and just did a straight-up swap for them, no charge. Also rather than use the part of the module wiring that would go to the harness under the side cover I had him make the Y to accept that part of the wiring too. So for me it all goes to the flat 6-pin AMP at the Y under the seat so I only have to unplug one plug for the lighting.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

^^
So Thunder - are you using the 3-wire connector under the side cover (even if those wires ultimately wind up in the single multilock for the TP harness)?

TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

^^
So Thunder - are you using the 3-wire connector under the side cover (even if those wires ultimately wind up in the single multilock for the TP harness)?

No. Those wires run with the harness that goes to the Y under the seat.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I seem to be getting more confused.
Is the connector under the side cover used by the Ride Time wiring, or is the RideTime simply a 2-connector Molex to single connector Multilock?

On my implementation, the 3-wire connector under the sidecover is open (not used), like it came from the factory.
I think it's time to pull my seat and see what's going on.
TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

I seem to be getting more confused.
Is the connector under the side cover used by the Ride Time wiring, it was intended to be wired that way or is the RideTime simply a 2-connector Molex to single connector Multilock? This is what I had made for mine to eliminate having to use the side cover connector.

On my implementation, the 3-wire connector under the sidecover is open (not used), like it came from the factory.
I think it's time to pull my seat and see what's going on.

Simply put part #13 in the instructions for the OP's kit has been changed to have the 2 Molex connectors to integrate into the taillight wiring and the third connector is an AMP Multilink to connect the wiring to the Tour Pak. To eliminate having to use the connector under the side cover I ran those two wires down to the Y instead. Like I said, Ride Time's kit was also intended for Ultra's. No one makes a complete plug-n-play setup for these bikes with removable TP's. Connector's have to be changed and accommodations have to be made. I wish it had been p-n-p.

I'd like to hear from gg to see if this is helping at all. If not I'm bowing out.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

^^
Sorry for all the questions, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I have all the info I need now to build a plug-n-play Y-harness. No other connections needed (it will act exaclty like they do for Ultra's).

Opposite gender Molex MX150 to interface to the bike, a single Multilock for the TP harness.
Just have to ge the wire and Multilock connectors in and I can do some prototypes.

I would have had them done sooner but (silly me) I thought these bikes used an Ultra setup.
Stay tuned
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

ThunderBueller and TIF2, this has definitely helped me and I do now have a far better understanding of what needs to be done. As you said ThunderBueller, the base and the left arm of the Y harness need to be Molex connectors wired to mimic the existing Molex connector tail light wiring setup. The base and the left arm of the Y will connect the main harness coming out of the frame to the existing tail light harness that goes into and on either side of the fender. The other arm that will go to the tourpak needs to be wired using an AMP lock connector. Thank you so much for hanging in there with me to help figure this out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 20 queries.