Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: A simply unbelievable service episode  (Read 4444 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: A simply unbelievable service episode
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »

Don,

I hope he paid with a credit card and will dispute the charges based on the repair that you documented for him.    Also who is the dealership others might want to know to Steer Way clear of this place.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »

You titled this thread as "A simply unbelievable service episode". I was expecting to read that the H-D service department treated their customer with respect and diagnosed the problem through sound troubleshooting, made the repair correctly the first time and only charged him what it should have cost.  I think you should have left the "un" off of unbelievable and then I would have agreed.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »

You titled this thread as "A simply unbelievable service episode". I was expecting to read that the H-D service department treated their customer with respect and diagnosed the problem through sound troubleshooting, made the repair correctly the first time and only charged him what it should have cost.  I think you should have left the "un" off of unbelievable and then I would have agreed.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Sadly, you have hit the nail squarely on the head.  The norm seems to be lousy service; the only time Harley service is noteworthy seems to be the rare times when one of the shops actually gets it right the first time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »

Don,

I hope he paid with a credit card and will dispute the charges based on the repair that you documented for him.    Also who is the dealership others might want to know to Steer Way clear of this place.

He did pay with a credit card.  And that is one of the avenues he is going to pursue.  I was asked not to specifically name the shop he dealt with until he finds out whatever he might from HD.  Since it's his deal and not mine I'll go along.  I don't necessarily agree but I'll go along. 

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »

This sort of service I find to be common with most businesses, not just HD. If you don't think so, think about your past experiences with the medical proffession (typically the most well educated and trained professionals out there). Diagnosing a problem can sometimes be tough..It takes a certain sort of mind to be good at it. Anybody can change parts. Not trying to take the dealer's side here...quite the opposite. He has to use people. People mess up. Thing is, he should take responsibility for mis-diagnosing the problem and at a bare minimum credit the costs of the parts that were wrongly used. Asking for a 100% refund isn't totally unreasonable either, but, good luck with that.

Recently the sound on the Zumo on my 2011 went nuts. Nothing but static blowing through the sound system. It was terrible to hear. Sometimes, the sound works fine. So, I turned the volume to zero. Loaded the bike on a trailer and dropped it off at the dealership, explaining the situation on the Zumo and the other items that needed attention. I asked for a brand new Zumo. About 2 hours later, they call and the bike is ready..Wow..that was fast. I go back the next day to retrieve the bike..trailer in tow. When I ask what they find with the Zumo...the inform me they turned the volume up.  :wall: :wall: Makes a guy want to show his azz. I simply chuckled. Checked it..the sound was fine.  :nixweiss:. I figue down the road, it'll go nuts again. Just after the warranty expires. And you know who will be paying for a new one...
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »

He did pay with a credit card.  And that is one of the avenues he is going to pursue.  I was asked not to specifically name the shop he dealt with until he finds out whatever he might from HD.  Since it's his deal and not mine I'll go along.  I don't necessarily agree but I'll go along. 

Don,

No problems with that, it was just a hope we might steer some unsuspecting person away to avoid another episode of the same.   Hope it works out for him as this is really a travesty all the way around.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Jerry/MD

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me how supposed 'service experts' don't pay a lick of attention to the symptons they are given. Truly unbelievable.  :(

BTW Twolanerider...nice job diagnosing and fixing what was an obvious electrical problem.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »

Sorry, I totally disagree with the title of the thread... Unfortunately it is 100% believable.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me how supposed 'service experts' don't pay a lick of attention to the symptons they are given. Truly unbelievable.  :(

BTW Twolanerider...nice job diagnosing and fixing what was an obvious electrical problem.

Funny. I just had a problem with my truck, HVAC blower went out. On vacation pulling an 18K pound trailer with two Golden Retrievers who were not pleased with the lack of AC.
Did some checking and found the blower relay was real hot. Thinking it was bad I swapped it with an unused relay (DEF heater), no help.

Took 4 Ford dealers to find one that was willing to help "travelers" 600+ miles from home, half way through a 2 week trip.

My point, the Dealer that fixed it took my preliminary testing and passed it on. I needed a blower motor but the first line on the service order was the tech confirming the customer's find.
Sometimes they really do listen.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »

Don,

No problems with that, it was just a hope we might steer some unsuspecting person away to avoid another episode of the same.   Hope it works out for him as this is really a travesty all the way around.

Hopefully someone won't have to be totaly unsuspecting.  Enough of a description in the first post to narrow the options down.  It's still just (another) terrible example of what's too often done.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:09 AM »

Hopefully someone won't have to be totaly unsuspecting.  Enough of a description in the first post to narrow the options down.  It's still just (another) terrible example of what's too often done.
Let the guessing begin.  Hmmm, could it be the dealer who owns multiple H-D shops and multiple automobile dealerships whose last name is the same as the well known (now deceased) advice columnist?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »

Let the guessing begin.  Hmmm, could it be the dealer who owns multiple H-D shops and multiple automobile dealerships whose last name is the same as the well known (now deceased) advice columnist?

...and sounds like ??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »

Got a call a few minutes ago; he'd had another "breakdown."  Could tell by tone of voice a little chain yanking was going on though.  On the way last night "riding home from bingo" (god I hope that's a euphemism) he had a flat tire.  Not a big deal though.  Plugged and portable compressor and he was home only a little later than expected. 

From what he's said before this isn't a terribly uncommon thing.  Some of the small roads in the area are apparently used by lumber or logging companies regularly and their debris is hard on tires.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »

This sort of service I find to be common with most businesses, not just HD. If you don't think so, think about your past experiences with the medical proffession (typically the most well educated and trained professionals out there). Diagnosing a problem can sometimes be tough..It takes a certain sort of mind to be good at it. Anybody can change parts. Not trying to take the dealer's side here...quite the opposite. He has to use people. People mess up. Thing is, he should take responsibility for mis-diagnosing the problem and at a bare minimum credit the costs of the parts that were wrongly used. Asking for a 100% refund isn't totally unreasonable either, but, good luck with that.

Recently the sound on the Zumo on my 2011 went nuts. Nothing but static blowing through the sound system. It was terrible to hear. Sometimes, the sound works fine. So, I turned the volume to zero. Loaded the bike on a trailer and dropped it off at the dealership, explaining the situation on the Zumo and the other items that needed attention. I asked for a brand new Zumo. About 2 hours later, they call and the bike is ready..Wow..that was fast. I go back the next day to retrieve the bike..trailer in tow. When I ask what they find with the Zumo...the inform me they turned the volume up.  :wall: :wall: Makes a guy want to show his azz. I simply chuckled. Checked it..the sound was fine.  :nixweiss:. I figue down the road, it'll go nuts again. Just after the warranty expires. And you know who will be paying for a new one...

Ken...don't waste your time with the dealer on this, unless it's the NIM.  Mine had the NIM problem, so I had the dealer replace that after explaining to them how it worked and what it was doing to let them know it was NOT working as designed.  They replaced it.  However, the Roadtech started doing something similar to what yours did a month or so later.  The dealer would have sent it to Garmin for me, but it would just have delayed the process.  I called Garmin myself and got the unit replaced...they won't give you a "new" one in the box, but a "New" refurbished one.  Took about a week for the exchange.  The Garmin tech support will just make sure you've got the latest firmware update in the unit (I did) while on the phone with them, then they'll make it right.  Mine was doing the static thing, plus it would emit this ear piercing tone from time to time.  It's all Gee-Hawing together now...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »

That's my next plan of attack Terry. But for now, it seems to be working.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.