Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Quietest mufflers  (Read 30362 times)

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Quietest mufflers
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:25:52 PM »

Okay I give up! apparently stock mufflers just don't handle mods very well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 08:45:06 PM by Framemaker »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Quietest mufflers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »

True dual head pipes will make your stock mufflers sound louder so true duals may not be the answer.  A lot of fellows like the V&H Ovals with the stock headers or true duals.  S&S SPO mufflers sound like a big block Chevy..  S&S does not recommend the SPO's with true dual head pipes-at least that's what I have heard on another site a while back.  I'm in the minority running the stock Touring mufflers.  My bike had Rinehart's on it when I bought it and were too loud for me even with the not so quiet "quiet" baffles.  I don't believe there is an exhaust for me out there between almost too quiet to all together too loud.  Good luck in your search-I have given up for now.

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »

Stock headpipes with fullsac mufflers is what I did.  http://www.fullsac.com  Give them a try they are a nice sound but not too obnoxious.
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:32:10 PM »

D&D has a baffle for their 2into1 pipes. It is a police baffle that is amazingly quiet. They say this baffle does not affect performance either.

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:21:12 PM »

Thanks for the info on the D&D police baffle Hogasm. Have been around the block on the exhaust issue with same results as Framemaker, those rigs he mentions are too loud for me also. Call me a sissy-boy, but I at least want to hear some tunes and the weather band on the radio occasionally. I would love to tune my motor to the D&D Fatcats if I can have "not loud" as well. Thundermax ECM mapped for Fatcats, Redshift 575 Geardrives.... Hmmm nice and mellow.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:46:27 PM »

I think there are a lot of us that would love a muffler some where between stock and too loud.  I've tried a bunch and will give you my thoughts.  I have a '06 CUSE with a Ness Big Sucker, V&H Dresser Duals and a Power Commander.  I tried the Freedom Cycle setup - way too loud.  I tried two different sets of Screamin Eagle Performance mufflers - both too loud and I didn't like the sound.  Next was a set of modified stock mufflers - crappy sound.  Then a set of Hookers - again, too loud. Next was a set of Rush mufflers with the new 1.50" baffles - not bad and the best so far. Not too loud but not exactly the sound I was looking for. Then I got a great deal on a set of V&H Ovals.  These are the best thus far.  Great low sound.  Maybe borderline loud but not bad.  Can still hear the radio with no problem crusin' down the highway.  My wife and my friends that have followed my buying and selling of all these mufflers agree that the Ovals are the best.  Good luck!

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »

That was excellent info.  I have heard that the V & H ovals are pretty good.  I think a club member has them, now to remember who :o).

Framemaker

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:37:30 PM »

I put the V&H oval slipons on my '07 SE Ultra. Look great. They are louder than stock but I can still hear the stereo while going down the  road, though you have to turn the volume up a notch or two. They do put out a good sound when you get on it, but at highway speed in top gear, they are tolerable. Definitely not as quiet as stock. Got mine for a little over $400 on the internet. Do a google search, prices vary from $400+ to $500. Shipping was free.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 02:49:02 AM »

2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

CLKKELLEY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 10:21:36 AM »

AND REMEMBER, D & D has a new QUIET Baffle for their Fat Cat's ($40) which is what I am putting on my JESTER on 9-28-06, after which I will give you all a full report!!  D &D  told me that this baffle is 20% quieter than their normal baffle.  How it compares to the Police Unit I do not know!

Craig in Omaha
PROUD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF THE CVO FAMILY!!  HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS IS TILL DEAD!!

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 08:20:27 PM »

Keep the feedback coming folks, I think we are on the right track here. Hope to get this all figured out in time for the '07 riding season. I'm not giving up on this season, just have to curtail spending for awhile.

cvTony

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »

SuperTrapp is advertising a performance slip-on muffler for dressers that is only 3 db louder than stock. And, they're nice looking with a variety of end caps. Check out their website. I will add that V&H basic slip-ons are too loud (my opinion) with my 103 and the V&H ovals I have heard on a friend's 95" bike are noticably quieter than mine.
2006 FLHTCUSE B/C
1993 Sportster 883/1220
1990 FLHTC Peace Officer S/E (gone and missed)
1974 XLCH 1000 (gone, thank God)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 05:59:47 PM »

The SuperTrapp SE with the end caps is the same muffler as the Screamin Eagle performance mufflers with changeable end caps.  SuperTrapp use to make them for Harley and now that Harley isn't offering them SuperTrapp is selling them.  When I was looking for something quieter I looked at these and even talked to a rep at SuperTrapp.  He said they were more than 3 db louder than stock. Think about it, if they are the same as the Screamin Eagle performance mufflers they have to be.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »

I have the V&H ovals with the V&H true duals - sound is good - not too loud, but it's there - I can hear the music at 85 no problem.  :)

BTW - could/should I wrap the removable baffles with fibreglass wadding??  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I just received (thanks Shayne) a set of (very) low mileage S&S BIG ovals but have yet to fit them

I'm expecting similar performance but much less noise - time will tell

Did someone say S&S don't recommend true duals - WTF?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »

D&D has a baffle for their 2into1 pipes. It is a police baffle that is [highlight]amazingly quiet[/highlight]. They say this baffle [highlight]does not affect performance [/highlight]either.

If that's really the case they will sell a million - buy shares NOW

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.