Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Quietest mufflers  (Read 30360 times)

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: Quietest mufflers
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 06:28:46 PM »

True dual head pipes will make your stock mufflers sound louder so true duals may not be the answer.
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »

Dave,

I've also got the V&H Duals and Ovals.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 06:32:33 PM by dakotazeb »

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »

Oh they're definitely removable - there's a couple of button head allen screws on each

Remove those, tip some penetrating oil around the edge of the oval and out they come - well actually, I had to beat on them with a long stick from the pipe end but they do come out (and go back in...)

I got these muffelers pre-owned (I'm a poor Brit - Awwww  ;)) and just wondered if wrapping was an option

Cheers

Dave

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 10:12:31 PM »

Dave, I can't find where "I thought" I read on another forum about a fellow who emailed S&S and they told him they were best with the stock headers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:11:06 PM by Boatman »

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 12:44:24 PM »

Dave, I can't find where "I thought" I read on another forum about a fellow who emailed S&S and they told him they were best with the stock headers.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 03:43:31 PM »

Bumping this back up... any more comments?  I don't like the SE slip-ons that I am running now... at 2,300 and up they have a 'bark' that's not pleasant.  
I like what's been said about the V&H Ovals.
Don't know that I'd put on the dual pipes or just use slip-ons with stock rear 'y'.  Any feelings one way or t'other? :-/

See on the V&H site that the duals come with mounts for factory O2 sensors. That might be a plus if I ever decided to go with Tmax, wouldn't it?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »

OKAY!!!!

Here's a recap of the events since I started this thread.

Put on the Fulsac true duals and SE air kit.  The idle became very rough.
Installed the PCIII and tried several maps.  Had the bike dyno'd with the PCIII and still could not get the idle to settle. Removed the PCIII, because I didn't like the extra cranking the PCIII slow processor caused.
Took it to Harley.  They said I had an intake leak from the breather bolts that hold the backing plate of the air kit in place.  This they said caused the plugs to foul.  I explained that the idle problem started immediately after the duals were installed and before the air kit so that may have made the problem worse but not the initial cause.  I wanted the idle increased and the bike remapped.  It was like butting heads with them but I finally prevailed.  They increased the idle and decided that with the SE ECU, I didn't need a remap when keeping the stock mufflers.  

The bike now runs extremely well.  I have a little shaking at idle but not enough to be uncomfortable, and the tech at HD said the bike is performing very well.  Of course everyone has their own opinion on how it should be. He said that a stroker engine won't idle perfectly.  I think if I decide to go RACE TUNER it would straighten out even more, but for now, I'm satisfied.  One of the most important issues of this whole thing, is that I can keep the true duals and not have the blast furnace on the right side.
One last thing, the V&H ovals sound good, but I have heard of problems with the baffle welds breaking from more than one source.

Thanks for all of you opinions and advice, Framemaker.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »

Framemaker, thanks for starting the thread, and your information. Interesting about the V&H baffle problems; I was thinking about getting used slip-ons off of Ebay, but that may not be a good idea. :(
I have the race tuner, but haven't had a good dyno yet. Still holding out hope.
I'm not discarding the idea of 2-1, maybe D&D. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
CLKKelley said:
D & D has a new QUIET Baffle for their Fat Cat's ($40) which is what I am putting on my JESTER on 9-28-06, after which I will give you all a full report!!  D &D  told me that this baffle is 20% quieter than their normal baffle.  How it compares to the Police Unit I do not know!
So, how's it sound, Craig?

Ideally, I'd like a deep, mellow sound, no bark, especially cruising at 3,000 rpm (don't we all). :)
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

CLKKELLEY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »

GARZ,

I am STILL waiting for the new D & D's to arrive from Steve @ Automotive Machine in Texas!

D & D had a problem with their oxygen sensor location on their initial run, and had to go back to the drawing board and do some work on their jig, or so I am told.  

Steve is supposed to call me back TODAY or TOMORROW with a newly-scheduled ship time on the Fat Cats with the new Quiet Baffle.

I can't WAIT to get them on my WAY-TOO-QUIET Jester, and report back to all of you GREAT people on sound quality AND performance characteristics!!  

Craig
PROUD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF THE CVO FAMILY!!  HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS IS TILL DEAD!!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »

The only part of the 07SERK that needs to go is/are the mufflers.  On my 04 RKC I did the Rineharts, Power Commander and a DR. Dyno tune.  I just could not stand the decel popping, I mean it was horrible after the dyno tune.  Apparently perfectly tuned is not what I want.  I want a good harley rumble without the snap, crackle and pop as I call it.  
Those of you that have made changes:  I would like to put on the V&H Ovals without any other changes.  If the stock air filter is not that free flowing, then maybe the pipes won't be affecting the A/F mixture enought to warrant a Race tuner or other foreign devices.  I want to Keep it Simple.  I put on a set of Race Only SE mufflers, that I had, temporarliy but they pop a lot. I am going to check the plugs to see how it is running without any mods.  I believe that I have read somewhere that the O2 sensors though narrow band, can compensate for minor mods.
This site is great, keep up the good work, and being a newbie, feel free to correct me.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »

check this out from the picture thread

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1160343360

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 09:34:28 AM »

...I need to know the quietest after market muffler out their ...Rhineharts are way too loud!!
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »

Continuing the thread:
Yesterday I got to test drive a new 06 RG 88" with SE a/c, SERT and S&S SPO slip-ons.
Conclusion: Weird looking, like they came off a Gold Wing, but I like the sound.
Idle sounds good; deep, no bark. Hard accelleration produced sound, kind of a roar, but no bark or raspyness.  They didn't want me to go on the hiway (bike only had 28 miles on it) but I played enough on the surface streets to believe that they will be real nice for cruising. Couldn't get them to 'bark' or get irritating to me (as the rider).
All-in-all, pretty quiet.  People hangin' around the front of the store all liked the sound. Said they heard me get on it as I left the parking lot, louder than a stock muffler.

I'm betting they'll be a little louder on the 103" than on that 88", which ought to make them perfect.
Thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on them, using the stock head pipes. Then have it Dyno tuned.  
Spent party-time this weekend with a guy that does dyno tuning, and he said of the 3 or 4 sets he's installed and tuned, everyone has liked them. . . You just have to get past the look :-/
Wife thinks they's look better with the ends black... I think so, too. Gimme a can of BBQ spray paint.  
The bike they have them on is darker blue (with flames), so I don't think those big things would be noticed quite as much on my pumpkin (the cool pumpkin color catches the eye ;).)

...OK, OK, I'm tryin' to convince meself to spend that money.  (Then I'll have a set of SE Pros for sale [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif])

Garz

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »

Tried to find S&S website but only came up with the car headers. Do you have the motorcycle site?
Also what is SERT.

Thanks, Framemaker

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »

Tried to find S&S website but only came up with the car headers. Do you have the motorcycle site?
Also what is SERT.

Thanks, Framemaker

S&S: http://www.sscycle.com/
SERT: Screaming Eagle Race Tuner - a device that interfaces with your ECM to allow for adjustments to many aspects of your engine (ie: air/fuel mixture)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.