Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Who is the best dyno technician with the TTS Mastertuner in the Midwest?  (Read 19916 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Maybe it would help if you capitalized (SHOUTED) some of that? ::)

WHAT ?                       :huepfenlol2:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"

LOL!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

I'm going to go ride my bike which is probably poorly tuned and I just don't know it.  

JW  

It's ok Jeff.  Nothing to get wurked_up about.....   ::)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:56:38 PM by Twolanerider »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

Gee, that's funny ..... I sent Jim a PM on HTT and he called me back the very same day. :2vrolijk_21:

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down

yep everytime I have also called Jim and left message's  he's return my  phone  called
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member

There is an old saying   "The best you know is what you've had/have"

Jim does refuse to use the tools in Mastertune and DataMaster, he has stated this many times. He doesn't want to learn and is happy with doing things his old way. If that's what you want thats fine but we cannot recommend anyone who believes they are getting what CAN be gotten if all the tools were being used properly. There is just too much there to throw it away which is how he tunes. The biggest difference comes in part throttle operation and fuel economy where you spend 90% of your riding time, WOT will remain around the same.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member

Yup, I AM a dick for telling the truth.  I have never said he could not tune, I have stated he could not tune with TTS using all that TTS has to offer.

And Bucknut Greg?  Why do YOU jump in with all these these guys and get on a 'bandwagon?'  DO you KNOW me?  DO you KNOW Jim?  I would say NOT.  But... I, me, am the bad guy here?

Well, I DO know Jim very well, actually!  He is a really good tuner, too.  I learned a whole lot from Jim, we were friends until he could no longer stand that I liked Doc and Steve Cole, and that THEY were teaching me different.... to use the tools within TTS for a decent tune.  I felt like I had visited 6th grade all over again.  It was downright WEIRD.

SO, the OP was all about a TTS technician, I stated facts.  I offer a good TTS technician, (Robin) and now I am a jerk?  Wurk Jerk?  I guess, being trained by the help of Doc and Steve, shown the ropes by Lonewolf and Hrdtail78 counts for NOTHING?

Maybe if some wouldn't have worded the PM, that you wish to pick my brain about tuning, of which I am NOT doing right now, due to my wife's chemo and radiation, made me decide YOU Bucknut was NOT worth my time presently.  I WILL answer questions but nothing open ended right now, ya dig?  Who, exactly, Bucknut would YOU wish for a tuner?  For your TTS?  Someone that does NOT use the tools?  Or someone that does?  Doesn't Steve Cole's response make you go...  hmmmmmm......?  He is, after all, the manufacturer of the tuning product in question.  If he ALSO says Jim is a good tuner, but not for TTS, does THAT not make you wonder?

Yup, ride those CVOs. That's a good response.  You HAVE a nice bike and I do not.  And.... I AM jealous, as MY bike is a totalled 2010 Ultra.  Not ONE good tin on it, all scratches.  Looks like ass.  That should make one feel better, right?  You have more disposable income than I do.  Cool, actually.  But... does THAT make YOU know all the ins and outs of using a TTS?

I placed MY money into a dyno and not fixing that POS Ultra, I installed a a 120r in it, and I feel that IS good enough for me.. Actually, Jim and I were online when I was bidding on that very bike!

I bought the dyno to HELP members and not make money.  I bought the dyno to learn the truth of things and not tell lies about products.  And... even Steve's product, if there is something wrong, I will shout it out.  I know Steve will fix things if I do, just like Jim can shout out on a PV and that may get changed.

You, Black DIamond like your tune, and most likely it is a very good one.  (Where did I say that it would be a poor one?), but I would also surmise the TTS tools were not used.  THAT is all I was saying.  The OP asked for a Midwest 'Doc', and Jim is NOT that!!!! a Midwest Doc.  Doc will NOT answer a phone call from Jim, so I figured that HE is not what the OP asked for.  I wanted to give the OP the BEST answer I could.  Wouldn't the rest of you want to have that?  The best answer to YOUR question?

If someone asked for a tuner good on a PV?  Or an open loop tune on an older bike?  Jim would have been one of my top picks , and... I HAVE sent folks his way, even if Jim dislikes me.

Mister Dick.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:31:05 AM by wurk_truk »
Never Ever Forget; Never Ever Forgive

Durwood

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Sheffer Performance H-D

If I was in Florida, I would go see Doc.  If I was in Arizona, I would see Steve George.  Is there anyone in the Midwest that is as proficient with the TTS as the two mentioned above?

Cowboy
Jim Kennedy in Mattoon Illinois gets my vote for best on the midwest as well, :2vrolijk_21:

Jim has tuned 7 builds for me, 3 were on my personal bikes, and 4 others for friends and All were tuned with a TTS interface/dongle.  My bikes run flawless at every throttle position and rpm, and my 2011 RGU gets low to mid 40's for mileage.  

Great product Steve :2vrolijk_21:

Alot of experienced/Professional dyno operators,Not just Jim, use different methods/TOOLS, like DTT Twinscan/wego with wide band O2 sensors and Herko blocks to obtain what I feel are better final results, than a DIY guy can get with smart/v-tune and stock sensors. Not knocking the DIY tuners, I have done some street tuning myself, I am just pointing out what I have learned to be true,over the course of the last 6 years.

This is my opinion,from my experiences.

Respectfully Daren

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician

The simple truth is all these guys mentioned are top notch, so that does make a choice between them tough IMO.  I think they all have a very good understanding of the Delphi ecm, and how to tune with TTS.  The difference is all these guys have slightly different tuning philosophies (and none more right than another IMO), so I would recommend not just limiting yourself to one in particular until you talked to at least a couple so you can get an idea of what exactly you are getting for your tuning money and to make sure you line yourself up to someone who is aligned with your expectations.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Best tuner with TTS?  Educate yourself a little and ask the tuner good questions. Doc had a pretty good set of questions out there but a lot has changed with the Delphi system since I have read it. Maybe another needs to be made. The more you understand how the different tools work and what is available with each system. The more likely you will find a good tuner. IMO there isn't a question about the best tuner out there, but there sure is a list to stay away from.

PS  As a business, I try not to do business over forum, PM's or text. I like phone calls.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2

Wow!  Some of you guys are really emotional about your tuners.  Passionate even.   :soapbox:
Jesus is Lord

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Wow!  Some of you guys are really emotional about your tuners.  Passionate even.   :soapbox:

...and they're just getting smaller and smaller.

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech

You have no idea how "passionate" they can be. But the above is a small, very small, glimpse of it.    :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

The average person knows very little, if anything, about modern engine management systems, and as long as the guy they take their bike to for tuning manages to make the bike run better than it did with the stock tune they think they got a great tune.  The fact he may have left a lot on the table, or didn't optimize part throttle settings where the highest percentage of normal riding occurs, tends to go over their heads.  And of course some people still think richer is always better, so they equate crappy cruise fuel economy with a good tune.  I see it all the time around here, with people offering advice to "richen it up" to reduce temps for instance.  It's really not that effective for temp reduction, and it wastes fuel and adds to HC emissions, but since we read it on the internet then by god that's what we're going to do.

Anyhow, there's no sense in getting emotional about it.  Until all the old school folks finally hang it up we will continue to see people embrace the old "open loop and rich across the board" philosophy, thus throwing away one of the best changes Harley has incorporated in engine management.  I sometimes ask those who preach the old school stuff why they don't just throw the entire EFI away and install a carb.  They really don't need a sophisticated electronic fuel system if all they want to do is run really rich all the time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member

The simple truth is all these guys mentioned are top notch, so that does make a choice between them tough IMO.  I think they all have a very good understanding of the Delphi ecm, and how to tune with TTS.  The difference is all these guys have slightly different tuning philosophies (and none more right than another IMO), so I would recommend not just limiting yourself to one in particular until you talked to at least a couple so you can get an idea of what exactly you are getting for your tuning money and to make sure you line yourself up to someone who is aligned with your expectations.

If this were even close to true then people would be using the tools provided instead of burying there head in the sand so to speak. Since the OP stated "with the TTS Mastertune" recommending someone that refuses to learn and use the tools takes them clearly off that list. Things have changed and will continue to evolve and it has passed by several that refuse to learn how to work with the newer parts of tuning. Those things are what set tuners apart. Just a few years ago (2008) we introduced a new concept of tuning to the harley world called Vtune, now everyone has there version of it. We next introduced Cam tuning and EGR tuning (2010). Soon enough we will have more to introduce but for those who refused to learn, it's passed them by. So all your going to get from them is that the new stuff is not necessary. Do you have to have it , NO, but thats no different than saying EFI was/is not necessary! As I said before "The best YOU know is what you've had/have"
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.844 seconds with 21 queries.