Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: CVO Limited Price  (Read 18997 times)

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
Re: CVO Limited Price
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »

Went to the dealership this weekend to check out CVO's.  They had a Blue CVO Limited priced with an additional mark-up of $7,000!!!!!!  :o
Talk about your STEALERSHIP!  >:(
El Cajon Harley, a southern CA dealer recently bought by the Ridenow Powersports dealer network with about 25 dealers (10 HD) headquartered in AZ.

Imagine what they would buy in mods, but then the person that will pay that 7K above MSRP probably isn't concerned about his/her wallet!  It's just dumb! :nixweiss:
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:55 AM »

Its not good business long term. I saw Battlefield HD in Gettysburg mark up a CVO Limited $5K above MSRP for the first time in years. Walked out of there shaking my head.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »

Never Pay More Than MSRP if you purchased at that Dealer in the past it should be less then MSRP.
DND

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 10:25:32 AM »

Actually, I don't get incensed if the dealer tries to get over MSRP. What's the big deal? If he thinks the market will support a higher profit for his goods and he wants to ask it, there is NOTHING illegal or immoral  about that. He has decided that he's willing to suffer whatever customer relations consequences might accompany his asking it.
  I won't pay it...I'll go elsewhere.
His having made the decision to ASK it doesn't mean he's a thief or extortionist or whatever. He's made a business decision based on his belief that his market will support a greater profit than the SUGGESTED price will provide. Let him give it a shot. MOST of us will walk and buy elsewhere. Someone may decide to pay his price...in which case, he is proven correct. It may well be that enough customers are pissed off by his decision that his future business is damaged. It may not make any real difference. I don't know how it will turn out for him and don't care, but I don't think he's an evil bastard because of his decision.
MSRP is not a cap, it is still a suggestion. If the same dealer decides to DISCOUNT his '13s because his market is soft for those now....are we gonna get pissed and DEMAND that we pay MSRP?

Contrary to popular rumor, those black marks on the floor are from the tires, NOT from the heels of the customers being dragged in and FORCED to buy motorcycles.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

cooterbrown

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Fat Bob CVO
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »

I paid MSRP plus DMV fee's and misc. dealer costs... $ 40k out the door.

CVOglider
; I'm a fellow Cali guy and I got to call you out a little on the 40k OTD number - MSRP = 39,200 + approx. 10% in tax, lic., doc. is a bit over 40k ... if you paid 40k OTD that means you paid around 36,500 before fee's - If that's the case good for you because that's a very good deal for the 14 Limited CVO. Please clarify because that may set a new bar for some of us.... Thanks, Cooterbrown

jcd520

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »

grey one on the floor at Kents HD , Abilene , Tx. ------MSRP------------Ask for Larry, 325 673 7103

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »

MSRP in Canada is $44,409, a bit less than the price of a new Lexus ES 350 Touring Pkg. Hmm...a new CVO Water Glide or a new Lexus?  ;D   

That's exactly what it's coming too.  MOCO seems to be pricing these CVO's out of the market.  When you see leftover '13's around, that's not good news.  We can only pray that the Indians and the rest of the competitors keep chipping away, as that's the only thing that will rein them in.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »

Actually, I don't get incensed if the dealer tries to get over MSRP. What's the big deal? If he thinks the market will support a higher profit for his goods and he wants to ask it, there is NOTHING illegal or immoral  about that. He has decided that he's willing to suffer whatever customer relations consequences might accompany his asking it.
  I won't pay it...I'll go elsewhere.
His having made the decision to ASK it doesn't mean he's a thief or extortionist or whatever. He's made a business decision based on his belief that his market will support a greater profit than the SUGGESTED price will provide. Let him give it a shot. MOST of us will walk and buy elsewhere. Someone may decide to pay his price...in which case, he is proven correct. It may well be that enough customers are pissed off by his decision that his future business is damaged. It may not make any real difference. I don't know how it will turn out for him and don't care, but I don't think he's an evil bastard because of his decision.
MSRP is not a cap, it is still a suggestion. If the same dealer decides to DISCOUNT his '13s because his market is soft for those now....are we gonna get pissed and DEMAND that we pay MSRP?

Contrary to popular rumor, those black marks on the floor are from the tires, NOT from the heels of the customers being dragged in and FORCED to buy motorcycles.
Sorry, I don't agree. Worked in retail for 30 years and to me, this is a short sighted strategy that takes advantage of customers. I remember selling generators after an ice storm in the NE and not marking them up even through there were over 100 people in line for hours in freezing weather. Generates goodwill and loyalty when you treat customers right,
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »

Sorry, I don't agree. Worked in retail for 30 years and to me, this is a short sighted strategy that takes advantage of customers. I remember selling generators after an ice storm in the NE and not marking them up even through there were over 100 people in line for hours in freezing weather. Generates goodwill and loyalty when you treat customers right,

Which should have brought you repeat business. I agree with MrSurly. It's supply and demand. It's pretty much what this country is about. If I really, really want something I may be willing to pay more than the average to get it in my time frame. If I don't, I won't.

I remember when VCR's first came out they were over $600 and people who could afford them paid it to have what others could not. Personally, I never paid that and will not pay more than MSRP for pretty much anything I buy. Most of the time much less if I am a repeat customer.

Remember, the dealer only needs one ass for that seat. 100 people may look at it and scoff, but usually...someone will buy it. Sometimes it works in their favor, sometimes they end up with left over models when the new ones come out...but...they probably made enough selling those units over MSRP to take a bath and come out way ahead on the one or two they got "stuck" with.

cooterbrown

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »

The problem for the dealer is perception and long term customer loyalty - how do you treat your customer base now and in the future - most folks that can afford a 40k bike aren't stupid and know when they are being gouged and won't appreciate the treatment - it will come back and haunt them through repeat business and referrals - if 20% or 8k dealer margin isn't sufficient than it's all about greed and taking advantage of people - who want's that type of reputation ?

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »

I went through this in 2011 when I tried to buy a skunk from the local dealer (Brighton Mi) which would have been my 4th bike from them and they tried to get me for $3,000.00 over, but they said they wouldn't charge me set up?  They can do as they want, they have the right to make money on something based on supply and demand.  I agree with the others, it's very short sighted to do that to loyal returning customers.  At the end of the day, someone somewhere will sell you the bike for MSRP and in the end, they lose a long term customer, not to mention the referrals and parts and accessories that would have gone with the bike!  I run a car dealership and I preach that daily to my sales managers and sales people.  Think long term, think about your loyal customers and the business they bring you if you right by them.  That will add up to a lot more than the 1 time $3000.00 burn.  Bad business as far as I'm concerned.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

CVOgliderider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Ultra
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »

CVOglider
; I'm a fellow Cali guy and I got to call you out a little on the 40k OTD number - MSRP = 39,200 + approx. 10% in tax, lic., doc. is a bit over 40k ... if you paid 40k OTD that means you paid around 36,500 before fee's - If that's the case good for you because that's a very good deal for the 14 Limited CVO. Please clarify because that may set a new bar for some of us.... Thanks, Cooterbrown
I live in Oregon and work in California, bought the bike in Oregon.

cooterbrown

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 12:14:53 AM »

That makes sense enjoy the ride w/ 0 % tax rate - I'm jealous....

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 01:04:56 AM »

Bottom line is, Harley is the leader of the cruiser/touring market.  Harley has a unique sound and appearance, and is the most customizeable motorcycle on the market with a world wide following.  110 years of production!  Others can only hope to emulate Moco's success. 

Granted any big MFG. can end up on the ropes, as G.M. has demonstrated, but in 2014 Moco made a positive step in the right direction to maintain their dominance.  It wasn't long ago that we spoke of Indian's nice looking bikes but a price point that compromised any chances of real success.  Now with Victory they may get there best chance of cutting into the market, giving Victory a traditional segment was well as Victory's orginal updated verions of the cruiser/tourer.

As priced, I would agree that Moco is at the limits of the price point for the mass produced CVO cruiser/tourer.  I'm not sure younger folks in general can afford the upper end bikes, but Moco has bikes priced at every level as well.

This is the first time in a long time that dealers (at least in Nor-Cal) sense that MSRP and no mark up will be their only chance of moving the top end bikes.  Moco will have to tap into a new demographic of customer base to stay on top, to continue their success.  They haven't alienated their traditional buyers and have worked hard to successfully encourage women and younger buyers to buy their brand so I expect they will maintain their market share.

Just my random thoughts on Harley Davidson in general.
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »

Remember, the dealer only needs one ass for that seat. 100 people may look at it and scoff, but usually...someone will buy it. Sometimes it works in their favor, sometimes they end up with left over models when the new ones come out...but...they probably made enough selling those units over MSRP to take a bath and come out way ahead on the one or two they got "stuck" with.

:ROFLOL:

Rob, I don't know if you meant that like I am inferring you did... as in the ASS who will pay several thousand over MSRP just for the privilege of riding a CVO and getting royally ripped of in the process?

My day is just starting, but that line already made it for me!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.