Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2700 to 3000 rpm decel vibration  (Read 4515 times)

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
2700 to 3000 rpm decel vibration
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »

I have a question for all the motorheads on this site.  On my 2011 CVO CUSE6 I have developed a vibration around 2700-3000 rpm that is very noticeable on deceleration in any gear including neutral.  This vibration is noticeable on acceleration but not near as pronounced as when I let off.  Its feels like riding on rumble strips as this rpm range.  I can also hear some sort of rattle type noise coming from the right side of the engine but really hard to tell.  If anybody has had a similar problem or think they might know what this is any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.     

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: 2700 to 3000 rpm decel vibration
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »

I'm no Motor/Gear head.....but I would check your wheels first :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:47:36 AM »

Try loosening and retightening the big exhaust support bolt under the tranny. That can cause vibrations if the exhaust pipes have tension in them.

It could also be a too-tight primary chain.

Hopefully it's not the lifters...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »

I have a question for all the motorheads on this site.  On my 2011 CVO CUSE6 I have developed a vibration around 2700-3000 rpm that is very noticeable on deceleration in any gear including neutral.  This vibration is noticeable on acceleration but not near as pronounced as when I let off.  Its feels like riding on rumble strips as this rpm range.  I can also hear some sort of rattle type noise coming from the right side of the engine but really hard to tell.  If anybody has had a similar problem or think they might know what this is any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.     

Very often this sort of thing is traced to the exhaust system grounding out on other parts, such as a footboard or other solid part.  Your engine is rubber mounted and therefore moves around a certain amount, and at certain rpm's or load conditions it may move even more, allowing the pipes to touch.  I'd start out by checking the entire exhaust system including the heat shields for looseness and/or insufficient clearance to other parts.  One common problem is the bracket from the transmission to the exhaust system, with the two bolts securing the bracket to the trans coming loose.  Btw, has the exhaust system been changed recently?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

I wonder if his crank is so far out that it is causing the vibes?  Oh, it would still be with in the HD speck eh!! What about engine mount?
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »

Primary chain loose!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »

Very often this sort of thing is traced to the exhaust system grounding out on other parts, such as a footboard or other solid part.  Your engine is rubber mounted and therefore moves around a certain amount, and at certain rpm's or load conditions it may move even more, allowing the pipes to touch.  I'd start out by checking the entire exhaust system including the heat shields for looseness and/or insufficient clearance to other parts.  One common problem is the bracket from the transmission to the exhaust system, with the two bolts securing the bracket to the trans coming loose.  Btw, has the exhaust system been changed recently?

Jerry

X2
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »

I wonder if his crank is so far out that it is causing the vibes?  Oh, it would still be with in the HD speck eh!! What about engine mount?

H-D's new specification reads " . . .   .010" more than what you find your customer's crank runout to be." 
Jesus is Lord

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »

Jerry

Thanks grc

I believe you solved my dilemma.  Your analysis was correct.  I found two heat shields that had moved and were grounding out on other parts, one was the floorboard and the other a tranny cover.  Thanks for all the replies.   :2vrolijk_21:

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »

Thanks in advance.     

I am no motor head, I have just had the same issue....Twice. Road Glides are famous for this as I have been told the factory head bearings are adjusted to 2 swing backs. The techs adjust it to 1.5 swing backs. This worked for me and the deceleration wobble (def at 30 MPH and sinking) went away. I then added progressive tubes to the front end and soon after the wobble came back. I had a slight emergency on a long trip and stopped at a dealer for an exhaust bolt missing and the tech fixed it and said "at next service, make sure they tighten the head bearings, they are very loose". Did 20K service soon after and problem once again solved. 

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.