Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Has anyone use a HawksHead tire pressure monitor?  (Read 5547 times)

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
Has anyone use a HawksHead tire pressure monitor?
« on: March 01, 2014, 02:54:28 AM »

I'm thinking about getting a HawksHead tire pressure monitor for my bike. It looks good and I have read good things about it but have not spoke to anyone using it on a bike. Here is the website for it http://www.tpms.ca/

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Has anyone use a HawksHead tire pressure monitor?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:40:24 AM »

Interesting. If feedback comes back positive I might get one.
Bill

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »

I did find some good stuff about it for trailers, bad cars but not a lot on bikes.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »

The new Garmin Zumo 390LM has a similar feature.

I have a Tire Minder (similar product) I run on my truck and motorcycle trailer.  I does give you a piece of mind to know you might have an advanced warning if you have a tire issue.  Every second counts during an blowout/flat situation.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

I always forget to check my pressures. I love the idea. ordering now
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »

Don't forget, a pressure monitor does not take the place of a proper tire inspection on a regular basis.  As far as that goes, I'd still want to do a manual check of cold inflation with a known accurate gauge even if I had a monitor.  There is no assurance that the monitor will be accurate and remain accurate over time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »

We have an OEM system on our BMW RT which has already come in handy. Although it's accuracy is questionable, monitoring any change is key to problem avoidance. It also has a red dash light that illuminates during a rapid pressure loss or when pressure drops below a certain point.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »

I put this system on my bike last fall and I'm very happy with it. http://www.bikerhiway.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitors-tpms-c-520_537_236.html?gclid=CJjF-pmZ0LcCFVEV7AodhmEASg . It looks like the same set up.

I do, do a manual inspection and pressure check before I leave home and then use the TPMS gauge to do quick checks when I make stops on the road. I haven't yet, but I plan to mount it on the inner fairing somewhere (probably with velcro) so I can keep an eye on it while riding.

Overall, I'm very happy with it!

Joe

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »

Joe, what kind of battery life are you seeing?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »

I googled and read some reviews of the TireGuard TPMS system like you have JoeVibe.  Overall it looks good but several articles referenced reports (none documented) of failures, some multiple.  Could not find any write up by someone who had experienced a failure so may be exaggerated - can't trust anything you read on the internet - well, that's what dealers say, lol!

I may give it a try as it is inexpensive enough and easy enough to install.  Couple points noted:  the display is not waterproof and hard to see if one should decide to mount it with velcro, etc.  Display uses AAA battery with life of about six months.  Sensors use 3v watch type battery with claimed life of one to two years.

Sensors weigh 45 gms and while no wheel balance problems reported it was noted that the weight may be too much for some valve stems (rubber), causing sudden failure, and they suggest that the product should be used with metal valve stems only.  No problem since I think all CVOs have metal valve stems but non-CVOs may not.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:50:18 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »

TireGurad TPMS has a new handlebar mount system now available:

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=13-318&GroupGuid=16

IBA member # 45520

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »

Joe, what kind of battery life are you seeing?

One set of batteries made it through last year, but I don't ride as much as many on this site. The manufacturer says six months on the display batteries and 1-2 years on the sensor batteries.

Sensors weigh 45 gms and while no wheel balance problems reported it was noted that the weight may be too much for some valve stems (rubber), causing sudden failure, and they suggest that the product should be used with metal valve stems only.  No problem since I think all CVOs have metal valve stems but non-CVOs may not.

The sensors are much lighter than 45 grams. The paperwork I have says about 9 grams each. If you subtract the weight of the original cap, (1 or 2 grams) and you're at 1/4 ounce. My bike's in the shop so I can't weigh them right now but, If I remember, I'll weigh them when I can. I haven't noticed any vibration after adding them.

the display is not waterproof and hard to see if one should decide to mount it with velcro, etc.

the display is hard to see in direct sunlight and that's part of the reason I haven't mounted it yet. It does light up if it alarms (and it vibrates but who would notice) so that may catch your attention when riding.

I'm going to look into the handlebar mount. Thanks for that info.

Joe

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »

One set of batteries made it through last year, but I don't ride as much as many on this site. The manufacturer says six months on the display batteries and 1-2 years on the sensor batteries.

The sensors are much lighter than 45 grams. The paperwork I have says about 9 grams each. If you subtract the weight of the original cap, (1 or 2 grams) and you're at 1/4 ounce. My bike's in the shop so I can't weigh them right now but, If I remember, I'll weigh them when I can. I haven't noticed any vibration after adding them.

the display is not waterproof and hard to see if one should decide to mount it with velcro, etc.

the display is hard to see in direct sunlight and that's part of the reason I haven't mounted it yet. It does light up if it alarms (and it vibrates but who would notice) so that may catch your attention when riding.

I'm going to look into the handlebar mount. Thanks for that info.

Joe
Agree about the weight - no one mentioned any balance / vibration problem.  Probably nothing to worry about unless you had rubber valve stems especially if old and brittle.

I'm looking at the 4 piece set up - for bike and trailer.  Thinking that if I'm not using my Bushtec I could put the extra set on my other bike.  Don't see why that would not work but I'll call them and ask.

IBA member # 45520

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »

Agree about the weight - no one mentioned any balance / vibration problem.  Probably nothing to worry about unless you had rubber valve stems especially if old and brittle.

I'm looking at the 4 piece set up - for bike and trailer.  Thinking that if I'm not using my Bushtec I could put the extra set on my other bike.  Don't see why that would not work but I'll call them and ask.

If you're talking about using them on two bikes on the road at the same time, the only issue I could see is range. As long as they're close together I'm sure you could read all four tires.

I did test putting the sensors on my enclosed trailer while pulling it with my truck and I got readings with no problem. Ironically, when I pulled my bike out of state I forgot to move the sensors to the trailer tires. Oh well, maybe I'll remember next trip.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »

If you're talking about using them on two bikes on the road at the same time, the only issue I could see is range. As long as they're close together I'm sure you could read all four tires.

I did test putting the sensors on my enclosed trailer while pulling it with my truck and I got readings with no problem. Ironically, when I pulled my bike out of state I forgot to move the sensors to the trailer tires. Oh well, maybe I'll remember next trip.
I do have two bikes but I am the only rider.  Co-rider navigates and gives me a dope slap if I get going to fast or riding too 'sporty', lol.  So it would only be one bike or one bike plus trailer.  Should work I think.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 21 queries.