Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What is the cost to replace lifters?  (Read 24716 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: What is the cost to replace lifters?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »

Just reading some posts on lifters going bad and am wondering how much it costs to proactively have them replaced?

Scott

If you are at all mechanically inclined, or if you have a mechanically inclined friend who can perform the labor, you can replace lifters for no more than the cost of the lifters - $100 to $300 - depending on the brand of lifters.  It's a simple task that requires no special tools.  Refer to your service manual for instruction and torque specs...

I'd recommend using S&S premium lifters...  p/n 330-0175   

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showcase/motorcycle-engine-components/premium-high-performance-tappets/
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »

Just reading some posts on lifters going bad and am wondering how much it costs to proactively have them replaced?

Scott
My thought is the more appropriate question is how much does it cost if your lifters chit the bed and dump metal all through your motor and damage other parts? IMO that's putting the cost of replacing them into perspective over not replacing them. If it's a known (lot or little) weak point why not correct it before it bites you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »

My thought is the more appropriate question is how much does it cost if your lifters chit the bed and dump metal all through your motor and damage other parts? IMO that's putting the cost of replacing them into perspective over not replacing them. If it's a known (lot or little) weak point why not correct it before it bites you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

And that is why I pulled mine. Well said!

Jesse

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »

on the '09 SERG;

'Having had a crank replaced at 10k, and a lifter go out and take out the whole motor at 22k, for me the upgrade lifters are the inexpensive way to go (if you can get away from the "may as well, while we're in there")

It made fiscal sense for me ("while we were in there") to Build the motor to 117 with "all the goodies" and S&S Premium Lifters, also, we will be doing Cam Chest inspections every 15-20k (barring any issues)... 

The '05 SEEG;
'Upgraded the Cam Tensioners (preventative). Bike has been drama free...

The '81 FXWG Shovel;
'Had lifter issues (even back then) the "fix" was to replace with solid lifters. "While I was in there" I installed the 470 Sifton Solid Lift Cam :pepper: 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:51:39 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

Here is what my dealer charged a couple months ago when I had him change the lifters and cam bearings on my '07.  He removed the stock push rods from the top and re-used them so no cost for adjustable push rods - just a little more labor.  The engine in this bike was replaced a while back and had about 8k on it when this work was done.

S&S Premium Lifters             269.95
cam service gasket kit          112.99
cam bearings                        19.99
cam drive gear retention          6.99
6 hrs labor @ 91.00              546.00
  Total                               955.92 plus tax of course

My dealer has a discount program for parts of which I am a member so I saved 15% off the above prices.  And since the work was done the first part of February and the shop was slow he gave me some discount on the labor also.  The above are regular 'list' prices with no discount.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »

Only 6300 miles on my Ultra but am going to be installing the S&S Premiums in the next week or two. Just waiting on lifter delivery. Not going to take a chance with the stock lifters.  Since I am doing the work myself total cost is about $400.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

S&S Premium Lifters             269.95
cam service gasket kit          112.99
cam bearings                        19.99
cam drive gear retention          6.99
6 hrs labor @ 91.00              546.00
  Total                               955.92 plus tax of course

The S&S cam installation kit P/N 106-5929 is $26.95.  Comes with inner bearing, snap ring, and cam cover gasket.  Rest of the gaskets (lifter cover, breather gasket and valve, rocker gaskets, push rod orings) will be about $40.  Add S&S premiums are $269 or GMR lifters for $190.  Whole job can be done from $270-$350 for parts.  6hrs labor seems about right and of course tax.  I would suggest finding an Indy shop.  (Maybe one that is a CVO member and claim another 10% off.)  Looks like the whole job could cost about $700-800 to have someone else do it. 

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

Interesting...

Simple question...  If I do this myself, I guess that it will void my warranty ?   ???

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »

No it will not void waranty
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »

my dealer did mine ( labor) for less than 300  bucks that was pulling the tank and heads they do not like adjustable pushrods  S@S lifters must be in demand a few websites I checked were on backorder i found a set in Ohio ....

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:06 PM »

my dealer did mine ( labor) for less than 300  bucks that was pulling the tank and heads they do not like adjustable pushrods  S@S lifters must be in demand a few websites I checked were on backorder i found a set in Ohio ....

Got mine from Amazon.  Saved about $30.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »

Interesting...

Simple question...  If I do this myself, I guess that it will void my warranty ?   ???

It all depends.  First, you're in Canada so you need to find out what the rules and laws say in your country versus the USA.  Second, if your question is about the difference between having a dealership do the work versus doing it yourself, here in the US the answer would be no, they couldn't void coverage just because you did the work yourself.  Once again, I don't know the law in Canada.  As for using nonstandard parts however, I'm pretty sure it's the same regardless of the country involved.  Harley is not going to warrant nonstandard parts, and if they can find any way to possibly blame those nonstandard parts for other failures they will do so in a heartbeat. 

With a 2014 you already have the latest upgraded lifters and inner cam bearings, so I'm not sure you need to be jumping the gun on changing any parts.  Don't get spooked by all the failures on earlier models that didn't have the latest lifters or bearings.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

You can save some money on the lifters if you try GMR's new ones. ;)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »

The other side of the warranty question is the "extended warranty" coverage.  If you have or are considering the "extended warranty" will they deny coverage to any engine damage because you changed the lifters?

I have the extended warranty and am considering checking/replacing my lifters.  My main concern is what will happen if some other part in my engine fails and CNA denies me coverage because I no longer have the OEM screw holding my passenger floorboards.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »

Black and white deal is they HAVE to prove the part you installed caused the failure. But without a lawyer good luck.  I have never seen a factory or after factory warranty claim denied due to lifters, rocker arms etc. I mean if a lifter you installed blew up and trashed the engine sure it could be an issue. But the flip side is you are more likely to have the stock lifter blow up leave you on the road and then you get a new engine and since HD feels it does not need to clean oil tank out,.... blow metal through new engine :pepper:. At least that is what we have seen first hand.. If the customer has no idea about oil pan and such HD does not go out of there way to do extra in most cases. Some HD shops are killer but its not the norm and we all know that to be true. Good luck 
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.