Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 124 s&s engine 585-640 question  (Read 33588 times)

sAs

Re: 124 s&s engine 585-640 question
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 06:26:13 AM »

Dan Thayer of Thayers Sales & Service, Corfu, N.Y., recently tuned our 124" low-compression version (185 ccp)trailer-towing bagger-combo, with the use of the .585's, OE cylinder head castings, re-worked, 58mm S&S t/hog. 129/137. :)
Scott

and I might add I just got back from approx 1000 mile trip out West. Temps ranged from 55*-85* and was very consistent and dependable. It had plenty of low end grunt and fun at the high end, two up, loaded..(not me, the bike)  ::) We ran into different qualities of gas also, didnt seem to make much difference. Im not one to please very easy, but in all honesty this one is a home run for me..Thanks Scott :2vrolijk_21:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »

Decisions..... Decisions......
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:15 AM »

Thanks for everyones help ;D :2vrolijk_21:  Put in my order for a granite t124 LC 585 Thanks again for all your input , now the real fun begins  :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »

Good Luck!

BigLew

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »

Good move, Zee! You wont be disappointed! Best bang for the buck out there IMO if you want some real power and not have to worry about breaking something. You have a warranty! I just got an email from a guy I sold one to Down in Louisiana and hes running about the worst exhaust a man could use for performance (V&H true duals) and they just finished up the final tune after break in on it. It is the LC version with the 585's and it came up with 146 TQ and 125 HP./ Not too shabby for a detuned (lower compression than you could run with those cams) and no headwork, literally box stock engine with a crappy exhaust (from a performance perspective). Tons of fun and no worries because hes got a warranty!  :bananarock:
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »

Good move, Zee! You wont be disappointed! Best bang for the buck out there IMO if you want some real power and not have to worry about breaking something. You have a warranty! I just got an email from a guy I sold one to Down in Louisiana and hes running about the worst exhaust a man could use for performance (V&H true duals) and they just finished up the final tune after break in on it. It is the LC version with the 585's and it came up with 146 TQ and 125 HP./ Not too shabby for a detuned (lower compression than you could run with those cams) and no headwork, literally box stock engine with a crappy exhaust (from a performance perspective). Tons of fun and no worries because hes got a warranty!  :bananarock:

James between you and Tab you all are about to cost me some money

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »

Sometimes the woman has wear the pants, Dave! Lol I think it will be more cost effective in the long run. I think you'll be happy with the power, the bike will be worth more to the right buyer and you will probably have less money in replacing lifters, building another motor cause the next isn't enough power, you can sell your old engine and if one failure occurs in the next 2 years, the extra cost paid for itself with the warranty. Not to mention labor costs to swap a motor out is less than building one from the ground up. S&S has stepped up with these crate motors and when they lowered their prices on them, it's difficult to argue that there's other ways to make this kind of power let alone get a warranty for the money required to do so.

independentmcshop.com

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Sometimes the woman has wear the pants, Dave! Lol I think it will be more cost effective in the long run. I think you'll be happy with the power, the bike will be worth more to the right buyer and you will probably have less money in replacing lifters, building another motor cause the next isn't enough power, you can sell your old engine and if one failure occurs in the next 2 years, the extra cost paid for itself with the warranty. Not to mention labor costs to swap a motor out is less than building one from the ground up. S&S has stepped up with these crate motors and when they lowered their prices on them, it's difficult to argue that there's other ways to make this kind of power let alone get a warranty for the money required to do so.
X2

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

Good read!  :2vrolijk_21:
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »

David,
My feelings are hurt since you'll listen to them, and you'd never listen to me... LOL

My prediction is that a lot of Builders are going to be luvin' the S&S 124 (especially the warranty), and I don't blame them for being tired of eating labor because of component issues that a lot of manufacturers won't stand behind.
Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »

Ed you know how it is when the wife speaks......LOL. Problem starts when I don't pay enough attention to what it was she said...

Several really good point in this thread and with this being introduced it will probably change the way performance work is done for a lot of us. You look at the motors that are built just by the members here and how much money is spent building a 110/113/117 right and when it's finished you have no warranty and are dang near the price of the 124 with warranty included. Makes it pretty simple decision when you look at it like that or for me it does. Thinking I have some motor parts that are getting ready to be for sale.

David

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »

David I have been told by the folks I ride with that the 124 sounds different. No one can put there finger on it, just different.

Biglew

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

David I have been told by the folks I ride with that the 124 sounds different. No one can put there finger on it, just different.

Biglew

That's exactly what people say about me too!  LOL

I have listened to the 124 on Independent_1's bike a few times and not sure I hear a difference.....except for like comparing the sound of a small block to an old rat motor.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »

They sound distant because they're out in front if you. That's also the same reason you can't put your finger on im them.  ;D

independentmcshop.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »

Ed you know how it is when the wife speaks......LOL. Problem starts when I don't pay enough attention to what it was she said...

Several really good point in this thread and with this being introduced it will probably change the way performance work is done for a lot of us. You look at the motors that are built just by the members here and how much money is spent building a 110/113/117 right and when it's finished you have no warranty and are dang near the price of the 124 with warranty included. Makes it pretty simple decision when you look at it like that or for me it does. Thinking I have some motor parts that are getting ready to be for sale.

David
The Defense rests... :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.