Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoking the LED spoiler light  (Read 2425 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
smoking the LED spoiler light
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »

I'm getting ready to install my tourpak on my 12 FLTRXSE... but the spoiler LED light is red, whereasa everything else on the back of the scoot is dark. I'd like to apply some type of "smoke" color over the lens so it matches the taillights.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: smoking the LED spoiler light
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »

Check out this product

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/

x2 :2vrolijk_21: I know a few people from the truck clubs I'm in that have used this to great success.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »

Good lord.. this stuffs been around since I did mini-trucks back in the 80's... now.. to find it here...

Thanks for the tips guys...

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »

Here's what it will look like. I used VHT Lens Tint. One of the issues with "spray" tint is getting just the level of tint you want, while making it an even tint level. What I did was to lay it on heavy, then polish off the excess until I was happy with the tint level.

Anyway ... here is my 2011 SESG with detachable KTP and the LED spoiler smoked.

Hope this helps ... you can click the pic for more detail.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

TIF 2, perfect.. thanks for the pic!

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »

I like the way they indemnify themselves from liability:

VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating for creating a custom European styling. When applied to tail lights, fog lights or turn indicators, VHT Nite-Shades™ appears black until they are lit, then the natural red color appears. Warning: Once applied to a plastic lens, VHT Nite-Shades™ cannot be satisfactorily removed. For off-road use only.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »

I like the way they indemnify themselves from liability:

VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating for creating a custom European styling. When applied to tail lights, fog lights or turn indicators, VHT Nite-Shades™ appears black until they are lit, then the natural red color appears. Warning: Once applied to a plastic lens, VHT Nite-Shades™ cannot be satisfactorily removed. For off-road use only.

Right ... I've seen some people get CRAZY with it. So dark it lets VERY little light through.
Probably a legality thing for sale as well. If they didn't put that on there, I would assume the DOT may come calling.

The LED spoiler is a third brake light for me and isn't as dark as it looks in the pic. It matches the "brightness" level (both in run operation as well as brake) as the other factory LEDs on the bike. The only issue I have now is making the LED light bar match the "glossy level" of both the stock SESG fender lamps and the smoked LED spoiler.

Bugs the absolute SH*T outta me that the LED lighbar uses a matte finish plastic for the smoked version. I'll fix it this winter.
TIF2

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »

Right ... I've seen some people get CRAZY with it. So dark it lets VERY little light through.
Probably a legality thing for sale as well. If they didn't put that on there, I would assume the DOT may come calling.

The LED spoiler is a third brake light for me and isn't as dark as it looks in the pic. It matches the "brightness" level (both in run operation as well as brake) as the other factory LEDs on the bike. The only issue I have now is making the LED light bar match the "glossy level" of both the stock SESG fender lamps and the smoked LED spoiler.

Bugs the absolute SH*T outta me that the LED lighbar uses a matte finish plastic for the smoked version. I'll fix it this winter.

since you have the desired brightness now.. shoot clear over it to get the gloss is should have and match...

I'm one of the guilty ones that had my truck lights crazy dark... I wound up polishing them out to be reasonable at night.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »

since you have the desired brightness now.. shoot clear over it to get the gloss is should have and match...

It's the clear lenses on the LED wrap-around light bar that remain a matte finish. Both the LED spoiler and the SESG fender lights have a high gloss finish.

When they say "smoked finish" on the LED TP light bar, the lenses aren't "smoked". They use a clear matte-finish lens with a dark background and while LEDs.
I don't feel like pulling the light bar apart and shooting all 3 lenses with clear but I'll get to it this winter  :)

Wish they would have used glossy plastic "smoked" lenses to match the stock fender lights on the SESG - would look MUCH better.
TIF2

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »

For what it's worth, a few years ago I was sick of the rather large and ugly red taillights on my Navigator and was told to use the VHT paint.  I purchased a can disassembled the lights (including the brake light above the rear window) and got to work spraying.

Let me be the first to say that I'm no painter!  The job came out okay and did tone down the lights quite a bit.  However I was also not happy with the dullness of the finished product... Tried waxing them, but that didn't do much to match the lenses up with the rest of the vehicle.  I was never really happy with the results, but with no source for purchasing already smoked lenses, that was the best I could do.

On a recent trip to Florida I checked with numerous car shops looking for custom lenses to no avail.  I took my Navi to the car wash one day and asked there if they knew where a good place to look for lenses would be... One of the guys who worked at the car wash gave me a card of a friend of his who is a painter, and apparently smokes lenses all the time.

A trip to the paint shop and within an hour he had strip off the VHT paint and resprayed the lenses black (with a nice shine) and they now look FANTASTIC!  He never even took them apart, just papered and taped off the entire rear end of the truck and sprayed away!

The best part was that the entire job only cost me $45.

If you are familiar with Lincoln Navigators and their incredibly ugly (IMHO) LARGE red rear lights, I'm sure you will appreciate how much better my Navi now looks.

They are now almost invisible and still shine bright when running or the brake is applied.

I'm sure any good painter can assist in giving you the look you want at a reasonable price.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:39:27 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

jrice454

• Junior CVO Member
  • A rock is a rock...

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 - Black Diamond/Crimson Tag
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

Hi Grizzly,

Different subject, I really like that trailer, what is the make/model?  Thanks.

Jim

For what it's worth, a few years ago I was sick of the rather large and ugly red taillights on my Navigator and was told to use the VHT paint.  I purchased a can disassembled the lights (including the brake light above the rear window) and got to work spraying.

Let me be the first to say that I'm no painter!  The job came out okay and did tone down the lights quite a bit.  However I was also not happy with the dullness of the finished product... Tried waxing them, but that didn't do much to match the lenses up with the rest of the vehicle.  I was never really happy with the results, but with no source for purchasing already smoked lenses, that was the best I could do.

On a recent trip to Florida I checked with numerous car shops looking for custom lenses to no avail.  I took my Navi to the car wash one day and asked there if they knew where a good place to look for lenses would be... One of the guys who worked at the car wash gave me a card of a friend of his who is a painter, and apparently smokes lenses all the time.

A trip to the paint shop and within an hour he had strip off the VHT paint and resprayed the lenses black (with a nice shine) and they now look FANTASTIC!  He never even took them apart, just papered and taped off the entire rear end of the truck and sprayed away!

The best part was that the entire job only cost me $45.

If you are familiar with Lincoln Navigators and their incredibly ugly (IMHO) LARGE red rear lights, I'm sure you will appreciate how much better my Navi now looks.

They are now almost invisible and still shine bright when running or the brake is applied.

I'm sure any good painter can assist in giving you the look you want at a reasonable price.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »

Hi Grizzly,

Different subject, I really like that trailer, what is the make/model?  Thanks.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the compliment.  I did a lot of research prior to purchasing this Wells Cargo "ME Series" trailer 8 years ago and love it.  It is specially configured for motorcycles and I have two

http://www.wheeldock.com/

chocks installed in it, even though it did come equipped with two.

Actually, my truck & trailer is featured on the website with a picture from Utah on one of our first trips with the trailer... Check it our here

http://wellscargo.com/wellscargo-trailers/motorcycle-trailers/me-series/overview/

and you will notice right away the big red rear lenses on my Navi that I finally managed to get rid of.

The Wells Cargo trailer has served me very well and I highly reccomend this make.

Take care,
Grizzly
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:12:12 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

jrice454

• Junior CVO Member
  • A rock is a rock...

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 - Black Diamond/Crimson Tag
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the compliment.  I did a lot of research prior to purchasing this Wells Cargo "ME Series" trailer 8 years ago and love it.  It is specially configured for motorcycles and I have two

Actually, my truck & trailer is featured on the website with a picture from Utah on one of our first trips with the trailer... Check it our here

http://wellscargo.com/wellscargo-trailers/motorcycle-trailers/me-series/overview/

and you will notice right away the big red rear lenses on my Navi that I finally managed to get rid of.

The Wells Cargo trailer has served me very well and I highly reccomend this make.

Take care,
Grizzly

Thanks Grizzly, that's a nice setup, great looking rig.  I'll be looking at trailers shortly so this is a big help.  :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Jim

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »

Hey Jim,

Take care,
Grizzly

I'll agree the Navi looks great with the smoked lights... the paint is probably a black mixed with a lot of clear... will ask a few paint shops.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.