Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Old (Classic) SERG Winter Upgrades  (Read 39209 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Old (Classic) SERG Winter Upgrades
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »

Just sat and looked at that photo for a moment Scott.  Was surprised by how much don't notice the difference.  Knowing the difference is there you obviously recognize it.  But it's not glaring.  The different heights of the spring caps in the center is mitigated by the angle of the tubes.  The front tubes hide the lack of ball mill in the rear tubes.  The upper tube on the old one looks a bit different.  But if you'd not been told they were there most folks would likely never notice the difference or realize it wasn't supposed to be that way.  Maybe what you've really got going for you is just a pair of outer tubes :nixweiss: ?

If it wasn't for the difference in the upper tubes in the rear, I don't think anyone would notice it without some prompting.  But, knowing I can likely make the blllet tubes work, I won't make it to spring without doing so...  One of the advantages (or disadvantages) of a long cold winter...  
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »

I agree that the lifter blocks are the most eye catching part of the pair.  With the TP boxes the pushrod tubes don't have to carry the visual continuity that they need to wth the HD ball milled rocker boxes.  It looks good as it sets there.  All buttoned up and running I'd think twice about tearing it down again just to make the change.  Especially with the extra effort required managing the pushrods because of those TP rocker assemblies.

Actually, it's not a big job to do the swap.  When I took it down for a look see at the cams and lifters, I installed the SE tapered pushrods.  They shorten enough that they can be pulled with everything else intact...  I actually like them quite a lot.  The S&S limited travel lifters have .100 travel.  The SE tapered pushrods move .042 with one revolution - so setting the pushrod length is very easy.  Pulling the rear pushrods and covers would be quick and easy...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:34:56 PM by sadunbar »
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »

If it wasn't for the difference in the upper tubes in the rear, I don't think anyone would notice it without some prompting.  But, knowing I can likely make the blllet tubes work, I won't make it to spring without doing so...  One of the advantages (or disadvantages) of a long cold winter...  

The upper tube is the one area they really do stand out.  However.....   Football air cleaner cover?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:38 PM »

Actually, it's not a big job to do the swap.  When I took it down for a look see at the cams and lifters, I installed the SE tapered pushrods.  They shorten enough that they can be pulled with everything else intact...  I actually like them quite a lot.  The S&S limited travel lifters have .200 travel.  The SE tapered pushrods move .095 with one revolution - so setting the pushrod length is very easy.  Pulling the rear pushrods and covers would be quick and easy...

And who am I to even think about leaving it alone....  I ground the crap out of both of mine to get all four in there :huepfenlol2:

I haven't used the new SE pushrods.  That'd be very convenient that basically the full required adjustment from zero lash can be had with one full turn. 

Nice to know they'll allow for easier install even with the TP boxes and rockers too.  When I lost those nice robust Zippers pushrods during the red bikes reassembly the only thing I could get quickly were the old SE pushrods.  I hate 'em.  But didn't want to wait.  Some time they're coming back out though.  Twice over the years I've had one of them bend.  Straightened one with a rock on the side of the road once and ran it home too :huepfenlol2: .  But some wintery day they'll get replaced before one of them bends again.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »

The upper tube is the one area they really do stand out.  However.....   Football air cleaner cover?

Nope - not the football air cleaner cover -

A ball milled billet Ness round cover...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »

And who am I to even think about leaving it alone....  I ground the crap out of both of mine to get all four in there :huepfenlol2:

I haven't used the new SE pushrods.  That'd be very convenient that basically the full required adjustment from zero lash can be had with one full turn. 

Nice to know they'll allow for easier install even with the TP boxes and rockers too.  When I lost those nice robust Zippers pushrods during the red bikes reassembly the only thing I could get quickly were the old SE pushrods.  I hate 'em.  But didn't want to wait.  Some time they're coming back out though.  Twice over the years I've had one of them bend.  Straightened one with a rock on the side of the road once and ran it home too :huepfenlol2: .  But some wintery day they'll get replaced before one of them bends again.

They are nice...  they take a 1/2 inch wrench to adjust - they are labeled intake/exhaust.  They have six flats on the case (and locknut) and four flats on the stud.  They have a "dot" on one of the case flats so one revolution is easily identified.  Very user friendly...  Plus the tapered end gives added clearance where they pass into the heads...  But the best part is they can be installed/removed without any other disassembly.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »

They are nice...  they take a 1/2 inch wrench to adjust - they are labeled intake/exhaust.  They have six flats on the case (and locknut) and four flats on the stud.  They have a "dot" on one of the case flats so one revolution is easily identified.  Very user friendly...  Plus the tapered end gives added clearance where they pass into the heads...  But the best part is they can be installed/removed without any other disassembly.

Ok.  I'm sold.  Will order a set to have on hand for whenever I get the urge this winter to take the others out of the red bike.

And that air cleaner cover...  What's it looked like turned 90 degrees?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2009, 10:33:48 PM »

Ok.  I'm sold.  Will order a set to have on hand for whenever I get the urge this winter to take the others out of the red bike.

And that air cleaner cover...  What's it looked like turned 90 degrees?

hehe

Now I suppose you want to see it with the rest of the bike rotated 90 degrees??
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »

:oops:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »

hehe
:ROFLOL: You beat me to it I was doing the same thing. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »

TwoLane, you've done it again.  A great documentary of your winter project.  We all love seeing you do these deals and taking the time and effort to take the pics along the way and then post.  Thanks.  Glad it came out well and runs that great.  Now, is the SEEG gonna get any trips this Spring/Summer or will the new-old red bike get all the fun?  :nixweiss:  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2009, 12:20:37 AM »

TwoLane, you've done it again.  A great documentary of your winter project.  We all love seeing you do these deals and taking the time and effort to take the pics along the way and then post.  Thanks.  Glad it came out well and runs that great.  Now, is the SEEG gonna get any trips this Spring/Summer or will the new-old red bike get all the fun?  :nixweiss:  har!  :drink: spyder

Howie and I were talking about just that a day or two ago Spyder.  I still do my best to split time between them so as to avoid either of the bikes copping any attitude.  It is best to keep them happy.

When the group that Howie was herding picked Eureka Springs for the 10th birthday rally my private thought was that it (kinda) sucked.  Just too close to home.  Only 90 minutes away.  Getting to a Gathering is a big part of the event enjoyment.  I love the time with everyone.  But I also like the solitary time on the road to get there.

There will be a benefit to Eureka Springs being so close though.  I'll ride one of the bikes to Eureka and use it to play during the days there.  Saturday thru Tuesday.  Then sometime Tuesday I'll do a quick round trip home and get the other.  Will take it from Eureka Springs to Georgia for Ken's BBQ.  So in May both bikes will get a trip.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »

Howie and I were talking about just that a day or two ago Spyder.  I still do my best to split time between them so as to avoid either of the bikes copping any attitude.  It is best to keep them happy.

When the group that Howie was herding picked Eureka Springs for the 10th birthday rally my private thought was that it (kinda) sucked.  Just too close to home.  Only 90 minutes away.  Getting to a Gathering is a big part of the event enjoyment.  I love the time with everyone.  But I also like the solitary time on the road to get there.

There will be a benefit to Eureka Springs being so close though.  I'll ride one of the bikes to Eureka and use it to play during the days there.  Saturday thru Tuesday.  Then sometime Tuesday I'll do a quick round trip home and get the other.  Will take it from Eureka Springs to Georgia for Ken's BBQ.  So in May both bikes will get a trip.
Which RedBike will make the 'devil run' to Ga?  I might not make the  ES but get to Ga.  Just wondering?   :drink: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »

I installed these today - the HD ball milled lifter blocks and matching pushrod tubes...  Well - at least I installed two of the matching pushrod tubes...  The inner pushrod tubes (closest to the cylinders) do not clear the Axtell cylinders... :(  The combination of the larger cylinders and larger pushrod tubes run out of clearance for each other...

So I installed the ball milled lifter blocks and outer ball mill matching tubes - and left the inner tubes the plain chrome tubes...  The plain inner tubes are somewhat covered - so I think it looks o.k.   Doesn't matter - I like it and think it is an improvement...  I took a picture - but it sucks due to reflection - here it is anyway...   :nixweiss:

Looks good Scott. Thanks for the info on the PRT's not fitting with the Axtells. Are those Lifter Blocks strictly cosmestic, or is there any kinda "strength" or other benefit from them at all? Is the only reason you changed to the SE Tapered adjustables so they can be removed without removing the rocker boxes? Bike looks really good man! :2vrolijk_21:

And a Healthy and Happy New Year to you and Shiela! :drink: :drink: :drink: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »

Looks good Scott. Thanks for the info on the PRT's not fitting with the Axtells. Are those Lifter Blocks strictly cosmestic, or is there any kinda "strength" or other benefit from them at all? Is the only reason you changed to the SE Tapered adjustables so they can be removed without removing the rocker boxes? Bike looks really good man! :2vrolijk_21:

And a Healthy and Happy New Year to you and Shiela! :drink: :drink: :drink: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

Strictly cosmetic, Howie...  And the SE Tapered pushrods were just for convenience...

Thanks...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 25 queries.