Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greasing the Springer front end - Steering head and rocker  (Read 13202 times)

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Greasing the Springer front end - Steering head and rocker
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »

Hi guys,

A couple of CVO springers here. I am about to undertake my first maintence for my bike, an FXSTSSE2 in inferno orange!

There is maintenance every 2500 mi. for the Steering head bearings. I have now reached a whopping 2500 mi. since I bought the bike (used with 12065 mi. on it). I am planning an oil change and inspection/maintenance. I did purchase the service manual supplement and also looked on this site and on the web for how to grease the springer steering head bearings. I have a chrome K&N oil filter and will pick up some AMSOIL SYN3 20W50 (I ride in South Florida) for the oil change. I have a set of basic harley tools.

Can anyone share the how to for the steering head bearings grease maintenance? The H-D supplement is a bit confusing (or is it). It talks about raising the bike and pluming the front end with a string and ruler, etc.. (summary). I would need a Springer Steering Head Bearing Tool (HD-47255). If I need to do all that, no problem, just need to get the right tools including a bike lift. Is there an easy way to inspect and grease the steering bearings (i.e. use a grease gun on the nipple, squirt until starts to come out, wipe excess with clean shop cloth). OR, do I need to do the bigger maintenance.

Also, rocker bearing maintenance thoughts would be cool too!

Any assistance feedback from any do-it-your-selfers CVO Springer riders would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Carl
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Greasing the Springer front end - Steering head and rocker
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

Carl, what you have described is the "fall away" or tension check on the neck bearings and is really quite easy to perform.  I only had to adjust mine once and they have been fine ever since.  I believe that once you have ridden it and allowed the bearings to seat in from all the bumps and turns you have made that the first adjustment will take out any free play and that all it will need is greasing periodically .  On my first adjustment I tightened them just as the manual says and then added about 1/8 turn when I put the front end back on the ground.  As far as grease, you are correct in just pumping it in until it oozes out then wipe off the excess. This is best done while bike is on lift. Expect that grease will need to be cleaned off the next couple of washings too.  Have fun working on it and realize that you will take better care of it than any dealer will, because it's yours.
Jesus is Lord

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »

:beatdeadhorse: Hello Carl,
Make sure you use the multi purpose grease.  That's what the manual calls for.  Do not use the axle
neck bearing grease that some one may try to sell you.  That crap does not have the sticking power
of multi purpose and is a dark grease and may eventually end up on your cylinder heads and change
its color.  The multi purpose grease that is called for in the manual is a translucent orange/yellow
grease that will not discolor the cylinder heads.  There is a red grease that may discolor the heads
as well.  The dynamics of the Springer has loads that are much different than any other neck head.
The multi purpose will cling much better and you will be able to wipe it off much easier than that
other crap.  Hang a roll of TP on your handle grips when you do the grease job. Tear off one square
fold it over and make a wipe,  you will be surprised at how clean of a job it will do. Generally I pump
5 into the neck after an oil change, 3 pumps each time I detail my bike which is quite often, but I
have 36,000 + miles. Don't put too much in as it all comes out eventually, with the new stuff forcing
out the old.  You will eventually get to a happy medium where you will not put too much grease in to
wipe to often, but enough to satisfy the needs of maintenance.......Jack
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »

Just a follow up. greasing was easy as can be! That little nipple stares right at you like a chick in a cold breeze. chirp!

Oil change, tranny oil change, and crankcase oil change easy too!

I now control my bike fully since I bought it used. Ahhh!!!

PS: Youtube doesn't have good videos on how to change these fluids for a harley. there are a few, but part 1 of 7 takes forever... Service manual is a definite help!

:orange: :orange: :orange:
Livin' Large

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »

Just a follow up. greasing was easy as can be! That little nipple stares right at you like a chick in a cold breeze. chirp!

Oil change, tranny oil change, and crankcase oil change easy too!

I now control my bike fully since I bought it used. Ahhh!!!

PS: Youtube doesn't have good videos on how to change these fluids for a harley. there are a few, but part 1 of 7 takes forever... Service manual is a definite help!

:orange: :orange: :orange:

You should have made a video of your work! 

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »

:beatdeadhorse: Usually when I have cleaned my bike, I will lightly oil the shafts inside the
Springers above the bushings. You will be able to tell if this needs attention if you hold the front brake fast,
and undulate the suspension.  You should be able to hear the noise thats screaming for attention.

I use a Q-tip flattened out, sparingly dipped in a light oil (3in1?) that will not attract dirt. Usually done when
the bike is on a lift with the suspension extended. There are light oils (clock oils ?) in containers with long
needle type applications that might make it easier/messier.......J
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »

Hi Jack,

without changing this thread, Jack, good sound advice. Appreciate it. Liked the Youtube comments as well. I have some exposure based on number of views and if I can capture more attention with sound HD advice and tips/tricks. it is a world of difference in a positive front!

The tip on the 3 in 1 oil is great too!  :orange: :orange: :orange:

I will get my trusty video camera out for the next oil change too Wild Card!  :orange: :orange:

Now off to Ride the Wind!

Where's the Harley emoticon? This site needs a little cartoon character riding a motorcycle.
Livin' Large

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »

or maybe this one....
Livin' Large

pogo622

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »

Regarding greasing the neck bearings on the head of Springer. I own a 2007 FXSTSSE and when I recently had it in for 2500 mile maintenance of the front end at my local HD shop, the mechanic said to use  WURTH  SIG 3000 super grease.  Better for water resistance, won't pound out, won't melt like standard grease in hot weather, special rust and corrosion inhibitors, higher Timken load than regular grease.  Mechanic says you can buy a 3000 grease like this or another brand online.
Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »

:beatdeadhorse:

Wurth is a German co. You probably can't do better than this but some similar to the 65 bearing load this offers.

Coming up on 67k on the clock, had neck bearings replaced couple of seasons past.  Had a knock that wouldn't go away.  Been looking for this kind of tolerance, thanks for the info.

With a shop manual some simple tools and a digital gauge you can set the pre load on the Springer set up at the headlamp area.

30k on Amsoil then 30k on Mobil 1.  Now Quicksilver: http://www.quicksilver-products.com/powersports/motorcycle/engine-oils/

I highly recommend Mercury Marine "Quicksilver' Heavy air cooled v twin 20w50 full synthetic in motor (rated SM) highest rating.

Cooler running, quieter.

Recreational watercraft are constantly under load, not so for land vehicles.

Found on Walmart shelf gal jug $30.50 out the door....... J
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 26 queries.