Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Same Old Newbie Questions!  (Read 2126 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Same Old Newbie Questions!
« on: September 15, 2005, 03:22:44 PM »

Well, I've had my 04 FXSTDSE2 for 2 weeks now and the urge to make some adjustments is already yanking at me.

Has anyone ever put together a listing of the std bolt-on perfromance parts for these specific bikes?  In researching various the various HD accessories and HP parts, its hard to tell what we already have in some cases? For instance, while keeping the stock AC cover, I'd like to upgrade the air filter and back plate for more flow if possible.

Also, a couple of quick observations / thoughts I noticed.

1.  Has anyone attempted to change the color of the fuel gauge lighting so that it matches the red of the gauges? Seems a bit retard to have everything red with the white fuel guage.

2.  I rode for the first time last night and hit the brights. Holy cow!, that blue High Beam indicator light almost blew me right off the bike! What is with that?  Has anyone looked into dimming this to a more comfortable level? I suppose I could put a piece of tinted tape over it, or even disconnect that bulb, but would prefer more professional solution.

3.  I saw the chrome button kit #71804-03 and the dope at the dealer claimed they pop right in without any disassembly.  Just looking at the pieces, it looks more involved than that.  Anyone do this one? Any feedback on what's involved?

4.  When I engage the alarm, I get a high-pitched chirp. I assume this means I have the optional addon std siren system the manual mentions?  Anyway, I have noticed the pager addon for the alarm.  Has anyone tackled this?  I'm wondering if I replace my existing siren box (whatever it is) with the Smart Siren II #68328-06.  I assume this is a quick plug and play swap?  Then I get the Pager Received II #91660-06 and that's it?

5.  I bought a Sears aluminum lift:

However, upon a quick look this morning, the blue chin spoiler the runs under the bike seems that it would interfere.  Does this piece remove easily? Are there any know issues with using these kinds of lifts on this particular model that i should be aware of?

Sorry this got longer than I was planning, but I hope you all understand.  Before someone askes, yes, the service manual and parts book are on the way. I'm sure those will help as well.

Thanks!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Same Old Newbie Questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:01:26 PM »

Hmmm...  Rough crowd?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »

I'll try to answer a couple of your q's:

1st on bolt on performance I would recommend talking to Brad at Freedom cycles. They have a pakage for the Softails similar to what many of us have on our baggers, A modified version of the Reinharts, Stage 1 AC, and a PCIII power commander.

I'm not positive on the fuel gauge but other gauges are sealed units and you cannot get into them to change the lights.

If you want to tone down the high beam light you could wire a resistor in series with the power lead which would drop the voltage to the light and dim it.

I have installed the chrome button kit on a few bikes. Its really not that difficult but you do have to take the switch housings apart and remove the switches to do it.

I don't know about the security question but someone here will pick it up i'm sure.

Good Luck!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 04:37:14 PM »

4.  When I engage the alarm, I get a high-pitched chirp. I assume this means I have the optional addon std siren system the manual mentions?  Anyway, I have noticed the pager addon for the alarm.  Has anyone tackled this?  I'm wondering if I replace my existing siren box (whatever it is) with the Smart Siren II #68328-06.  I assume this is a quick plug and play swap?  Then I get the Pager Received II #91660-06 and that's it?

Had missed all this it's first time through.  Will try to pick up on the alarm question where Dude left on everything else.  

Have looked at the sounder/transmitter combination unit (the Smart Siren II).  It's just like you describe.  Replaces the original siren unit and combines the siren function and the transmitter function to an alarm pager all in one unit.  Pick up the pager separately and your bike can call and tell you when it's hungry  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:53:07 PM »

Thanks guys! That should be good enough to get me rolling - Thx!

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.