Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 03 SERK are the Wheels supposed to have wheel WEIGHTS????  (Read 1780 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
03 SERK are the Wheels supposed to have wheel WEIGHTS????
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:37:03 PM »

I posted earlier that I was getting vibration through the foot-boards between 50 to 70mph its the worse beteen 60 and 70.

Well I put the bike up on the lift today and  when I was cleaning the solid wheels I noticed that neither the front or rear wheel has balance weights on them. Upon looking closer I could see no left over glue so it looks like the bike never did.

TIA<
John
JR

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 03 SERK are the Wheels supposed to have wheel WEIGHTS????
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »

I posted earlier that I was getting vibration through the foot-boards between 50 to 70mph its the worse beteen 60 and 70.

Well I put the bike up on the lift today and  when I was cleaning the solid wheels I noticed that neither the front or rear wheel has balance weights on them. Upon looking closer I could see no left over glue so it looks like the bike never did.

TIA<
John

Yeah John. Not liking the stick on weights they use on the Chrome Wheels. When cleaning it yesterday, we noticed mine came off already. But no adverse effects noticible. Will have them rebalanced next week when bike is in for everything else that's falling apart on it too! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »

Yeah John. Not liking the stick on weights they use on the Chrome Wheels. When cleaning it yesterday, we noticed mine came off already. But no adverse effects noticible. Will have them rebalanced next week when bike is in for everything else that's falling apart on it too! Hoist! 8)

Jesus the bike only had 740 miles on it when I got it and now 1K it looks like they were never mounted! F*ck more dough! :P

Many thanks,
john
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:09:51 PM by Fired00d »
JR

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:11:07 PM »

My original tires didn't have weights on the wheels either. I thought this was odd, but I never had any shimmy/shakes. Since replacing the tires weights have been added.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:56:18 PM »

Hey Howie whadya mean when cleaning it yesterday WE noticed that yours came off ??

;)

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:11:15 PM »

Hey Howie whadya mean when cleaning it yesterday WE noticed that yours came off ??

;)

Nige

Hey Nige, did you hear me say I was doing the cleaning? Thanks for that though! And I appreciate you pointing out more defficiencies on this bike. ::) I guess it's better to know than to not know, but I'm getting tired of finding so many! Glad you had a safe trip home. It was great hanging with you and Jan. Hopefully we'll ride the country together next year! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »

My original tires didn't have weights on the wheels either. I thought this was odd, but I never had any shimmy/shakes. Since replacing the tires weights have been added.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Ok so today I checked the air pressure in the rear shocks and it was at 7lbs. This would be my first ride with air in them as I did not have a pump.

So I ran out on the Expressway to the exact same spot where I expreianced all the original vibration in the foot boads. BIG DIFFERENCE, it was about 80% gone , I was riding in about a 15mph crosswind doing about 65 so I did experiance the wind effect on those solid wheels.

At this point I do not know if I should still have the wheels balanced ? Perhaps only the front?

Any feedback?

JR

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »

If your getting wheel wobble or anything associated with that than have them balanced.

I've balanced wheels that didn't need weight or such a small amount that I don't have a weight that small. I only started recently balancing my own rear wheels as I've never balanced them. (Figured I own the machine so why not?!)
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »

Funny, on my last two rides I noticed or thought I was perhaps imagining an increase in overall vibration which got progressively worse with an increase in speed. This was especially noticeable above 60 mph. Also seemed like this didn't happen until I had been riding for several hours and then started pushing the bike a bit. No noticeable change in get up and go, just in smoothness.
Thought perhaps it was all in my head --- kind of like a sensory perception change kind of thing, but then it happened on the next ride on a very smooth appearing stretch of road.
Not much wind either. I started running the bike up to the 60-70 mph range and then pulling in the clutch to try to see if it was more engine or more chassis related. Seemed to be some of both and there's also the component from the goofy stock windshield causing a staccato-like chop chop of the airstream.

Started thinking maybe a motor mount. Got about 1400 miles on total. I suppose it's possible one could fail already.
Then I started thinking wheel balance today as some small group of intermittently functioning neurons in my grey matter turned on and said "wheel weights --- where's the wheel weights that were on when I first got the bike?" I still have one on the rear wheel, but there's none on the front. I'm pretty sure there was one on the front but I can't be sure as I did polish the wheels a few times since I got the bike so no adhesive residue is visible. Might get to my dealer tomorrow to have the wheels rebalanced.

The amount of vibration is severe enough that I don't want to ride at sustained speeds above 60 mph. Are these bikes supposed to shake/vibrate this much? Did I pay $30K for a bike that's only comfortable to ride at or below 60 mph?

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »

While out on a ride over the weekend I heard what I thought was a rock hitting the bike somewhere. I figured maybe the front tire had kicked something up that I hadn't seen in the road. Then on Sunday while washing the bike (yes, Hoist et. al. I DO wash my own bike -makes it easier to spot problems/loose parts etc.) I noticed that there was a big sticky thingie on the rear wheel, but no weight attached to it! The dealer is rebalancing the wheel/tire under warranty.  :) I figured I would have to pay for it...

On the subject of vibration I was cruising smoothly along at about 75 or so on that same ride, and after a few miles I noticed that I hadn't shifted into 6th gear. As soon as I upshifted I could feel a vibration from the engine. I carry a very sensitive vibration detector on the back seat, and was immediately notified that there was "too much vibration". Hmmm, I'm thinking that these new 110's with their longer stroke may have more inherent vibration. Or maybe they have revised the motor mount design? My "vibration detector" keeps reminding me that our '05 RK Classic was smooth as silk all the time.

About the chop chop from the windshield I think it is "normal". Typically round or cylindrical objects exposed to a stream of air will begin to shed vortices from each side in alternating succession. As each vortex hits your head/body it causes a local change in air pressure that results in the buffeting you experience. (Sorry -I'm an engineer, and boring explanations are part of my job  :nixweiss: )

Bikerboy
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »

Yea, ya'll got me paranoid too, just went and checked the SERK...weights on both front and rear. WEW!

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 09:25:54 PM »

bikerboy;
Vortices, huh? Well, they're unpleasant enough that I sure wouldn't consider riding this bike in it's present form for any longer than maybe 4-5 hours nonstop, OR at sustained high speed ---- say 70 or above.
I know it's primarily the windshield because if I take it off the bike the buffeting is completely gone though the total amount of felt wind is of course much greater. My half helmet was also contributing to this pulsatile effect. The net result is that one becomes fatigued very quickly by all this 'dribbling' of one's head and eyewear.
I am expecting the arrival of an 18" high (4" higher than the stock windshield) Clearview windshield with the recurve on the top few inches any day now. I hope that it eliminates this effect completely. Makes me wonder if Harley has or uses a wind tunnel in their design process. My 28 year-old BMW with a quarter (cafe-style) fairing does NOT produce this effect at all -- and it has less frontal area than the SERK's stock 14" high windshield.

strohkr

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »

Yup - check the wheel weights. Originally mine had them but for whatever reason they came off - had the wheels rebalanced. Seems to ride better - less vibration at speed.

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.