Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 03 SE Roadking to paint or not  (Read 2097 times)

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
03 SE Roadking to paint or not
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:09:06 PM »

I have a nice 03 SE Roadking that I have considered selling and have it listed for sell here. The main reason I want to sell it is because I don't like the paint scheme.
I thought it would grow on me but it hasn't.
I love the bike otherwise and have considered getting it painted.
The problem there is it would still have to have a gold paint scheme because the frame is gold.  I don't care for the gold.  I imagine I could probably come up with a gold base and say some blue and green flames of some sort to offset the gold some.
I figure it would make the bike worth less without the original paint but it would look better to me.  I have thought about buying a used set of tins and bags and having those custom painted and save the old items to go with the bike when I decide to sell it someday.  Or sell the custom gold factory set to help offset the cost of the new items.

What would some of you other guys do?
Sell it and start over, paint it as is, buy tins and paint those and save old, sell old???
It's gonna cost me to do any of the above but it's that or sell it.
Any suggestions?
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

doa

• FLHRSEI2
Re: 03 SE Roadking to paint or not
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »

Do not sell it, You are going to take one hell of a hit on the price.
I would pick on a set of tins and go nuts
[smiley=drink.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:20:12 PM »

Buy new tins and live with the gold frame.   There are only so many of these and in time you will be glad you held on to it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:13:48 PM »

The gold frame is cool.  Buy some black tins and go from there.  Save the Custom CVO tins for sure.     [smiley=cool2.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:44:03 PM »

I had the same thoughts that you are having and I decided it was time to sell it (03 SE)  and get what I really wanted. I got $25,900 for mine with 16,000 miles on it. The bike was in perfect condition with lots of extras, it set at HD dealership for almost 30 days but finally a guy came along and feel in love with it. Life is to short to not have what you really want. Go for it

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 07:22:27 AM »

I had mine painted and kept the gold frame and the gold base on the tins.  There are numerous photos of it on my homepage on this forum, with a link to additional photos.  You may not like the "real fire" scheme that I went with, but it will at least give you an idea of what you can do and keep the basic gold color.  Incidentally, the bike has won shows with this paint scheme.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:22:27 AM »

I like the flames...wow
That really changed the looks a bunch
What's kewl about owning a Harley is everyone has different ideas they want and do

hdrider53

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 09:29:54 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.
I think I will kick around then decide this winter.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 07:03:11 PM by hdrider53 »
2001 SE Roadglide
2002 SE Roadking (1)
2002 SE Roadking (2)
2003 SE Roadking
2007 Ultra

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 11:27:22 AM »

Man, oh man do I feel your pain. I had to have my FLHRSEI2 'cause that was the first 103". Sorry about the user name, but that was my first love...
I hate v that $%*&** gold too. I would sell her. Worth far more as a collectable, once you paint, oh well, it's worth about 10-14 K
I just put a Dragonfly pre-painted fairing on mine, xm satellite, blah, blah. Weren't you po'd when the next year, they bring out a better package and 1500 MSRP lower to boot. What'd you pay? I was 32K out the door, but I did include options. Since then, 10:1 Comp pistons. 1 year only CNCC HTCC Ported heads; .625 lift cams (gear) so you acn see, I peaked mechanically, and opted for more old man luxury.
I also JUST now found you guys....
Regards, And best to you & yours...
Paul
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 01:58:38 PM »

If anyone wants to part with their Centenial Gold "tin" please let me know, I am looking for an extra set as I ride mine so much it is starting to show it's age.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 01:45:45 AM »

If anyone wants to part with their Centenial Gold "tin" please let me know, I am looking for an extra set as I ride mine so much it is starting to show it's age.

Spiderman, you may also want to start a thread in the "Buying" section of the Marketplace.

jachin72

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 05:05:48 PM »

JeffJ,

I walked around your 2003 SERK a couple days after I bought mine.  I have the "other" 2003 SERK sold at the same dealer.  The original owner of mine knows you too.  His name is Dave...  I was rooting for you to get about $28K for it.  I have to agree with what it's worth to the seller and what it's worth to the buyer.  Dave and I haggled for a month before I succumbed to "his" price.  Obviously I wanted it real bad, and he wasn't all that ready to part with it.  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet you over at the dealer some day.

Steve

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 05:24:08 PM »

I wouldn't paint the original tins. What I would do if I wanted to change the color if it where my bike is to get an extra set of tins, decide on a color that works best with gold frame and go for it. Remember your bike is a "limited edition" model, and that color might not appeal to you, but if you ever want to sell it I would think resale would be better with original colors. Once you paint original tins, it's just another custom bike w/a 103 ci motor. Lets not forgot that you have a 100th anniversary model on top of it being a CVO. JMHO.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »

Scratch two off the list on the production run of 03 SERks. Mine which was totaled out in June and a buddy from Mississippi who totaled his out in September. Come to think of it maybe someone should start a thread so we can report this type of thing for all model CVOs

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 12:43:23 PM »

I had an idea for painting up a set of "tin" in Centenial Gold and then doing graphics in Black based on the Two Predator movies. Maybe a pic of the Predator on one saddlebag, one of the Predator's trophy wall on his spaceship from the 2nd movie on the other saddlebag, and some other stuff from the spaceship or the nasty bastards arsenal. The idea being that a CVO bike is a Predator of sorts, epecially the way the gearheads on this site pump em up. I'm not gonna do this, so if someone likes it, go for it.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.