Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 03 centennial gold color mismatch  (Read 2237 times)

scre103

03 centennial gold color mismatch
« on: April 15, 2004, 09:31:32 PM »

just got my 03 serk back yesterday after waiting most of the winter for the chopped tour pack and bag lids to be replaced because of the color mismatch. and boy am i p.o'd now. the lids are so gold(with no bluish tint) that now the lower pack and bags appear bluish gold!!! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] what am i going to do now, i was almost better off with the whole mess the way it was originally. now i have to go back to the dealer and request that all the bags/pack be replaced. what a mess. i am so pi--ed about this i can barely stand it!!!! [smiley=furious.gif]. the dealership opens up at 10 am , whish me luck [smiley=confused.gif]
03 flhrsei2
01 motoguzzi v11 sport rosso mandello
87 honda elite 150 scooter(for the kids)
se high flow air kit
kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs
se efi chip
se performance mufflers
chopped tour pack
standard clea

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: 03 centennial gold color mismatch
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 07:28:27 AM »

good luck, take a stand and dont back down. let us know how it goes
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 10:10:04 AM »

Scre I wish you the best of luck.  The thing I would caution is to stay calm but firm.  You'll accomplish more and gettin PO'd only takes a toll on yourself.  Keep us posted on this....I suspect this will be a back and forth thing.  But I do believe that it's not right till it's right and they need to stand behind that.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TCSTD

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 09:11:49 AM »

http://www.cyclecolor.com/id3.htm

You might try this link, maybe they could hook you up with the right color. Any shop that has a mixing system and a computer to analize the paint should be able to get it right if they are any good at all

TC
03 FXSTDSEI ,  K&N & Kit , Stage 2 download ,SE II slipons,  Low profile anniversary windshield , Replaced  smoked lenses with red/amber, headlight and turn signal extensions ,Some extra chrome.

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 01:38:16 PM »

just got my 03 serk back yesterday after waiting most of the winter for the chopped tour pack and bag lids to be replaced because of the color mismatch. and boy am i p.o'd now. the lids are so gold(with no bluish tint) that now the lower pack and bags appear bluish gold!!! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] what am i going to do now, i was almost better off with the whole mess the way it was originally. now i have to go back to the dealer and request that all the bags/pack be replaced. what a mess. i am so pi--ed about this i can barely stand it!!!! [smiley=furious.gif]. the dealership opens up at 10 am , whish me luck [smiley=confused.gif]
These CVO specialty paint jobs are done by company named KALIBER located in Grafton, Wisconsin.  I ran into difficulty through H-D as these paints produced by PPG are 'protected' (proprietary formulation) parts and a serial number of the bike must be supplied for the purchase of said parts. The color is called 'scooby' gold named after the scooby project which was the name of the 2003 SERK prior to its release. Because of the way that the metallic lays on this 03 you have to watch the angle that you light and view it the silvery metallic particles cast a grey-isgh sheen that means that the plane has to be the same on both pieces to get a view of the color match.The CVO paint is a protected part from H-D and as such seems to have a snail mail response from the Customer service group.  I had a paint match problem on the lids of my saddlegags and I felt the response was unnecessarily slow.  The response although slow in being resolved was very positive and I received a new set of lids within a couple of weeks or so.  I expect that H-D will give their usual excellent response to the problems should they arise.  
Kaliber used to do a lot of the CVO paint jobs as well as some of the other custom paint jobs that H-D has offered.  I think that many of those are now being handled by the H-D facility at Tomahawk,WI.  I have not been able to get a straight answer on how that exactly works as of this date.  I can't tell whether the parts are painted in Grafton,WI at Kaliber and then shipped to H-D Tomahawk, then to distribution and on to the dealer or how it is all handled but seems sort of slow and inefficient. About a year ago, I went down to the H-D manufacturing plant at 3700 Juneau in Milwaukee late in the afternoon and a customer service rep(Katie) brought a Q.C. engineer (Rusty) outside the building to look at the bike.  Both agreed that color did not match and asked how I would like the problem resolved. The question about different substrates affecting the color came up and since both substrates are primed to the same color the finish coats should render the same results.  I told them that I would prefer to not put on the saddlebag bras to cover the paint, however, I had considered it.  They said that would talk to CVO in York, PA to find out how they wanted resolve it.  Seemed fairly successful after a sixty mile (one way)  ride in the rain through interstate construction and early rush hour traffic.  We'll see what's up with that. 05-02-03  ;DGot response from H-D that new stuff coming in to local dealer.  

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.