Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 serg pulling  (Read 1470 times)

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
09 serg pulling
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »

A buddy of mine was telling me while riding his 09 serg. if he going free handed he ALWAYS has to lean pretty far to the right to keep the bike going straight. He has tested this on all kind of surfaces and alot of diffrent roads and it is always the same. I did a search but did not find anything. Is it possible the wheels are not tracking true or head bearing to loose. Thank`s in advance for your help.

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 09 serg pulling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »

I assume that his saddlebags are equally weighted with the bike...in fact, I put my heavier stuff in my right bag to counter balance the primary side.  Mine seems perfectly balanced with no hands ( you shouldn't ride this way!!!!)
So, somethings out of whack with your buddy's scoot.
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes
#1 = 1960 Cushman Super Eagle

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:53:12 AM »

I load my tools and water-bottles in the left saddlebag , the right one is nearly allmost empty and i have to lean to the right side that the bike runs straight on , the same happened when i have been in Florida in march with a FLHX 09 from bike-the-best ( same frame same shocks ) left saddlebag fully load and the right one nearly nothing , i also had to lean to the right side to keep the bike rolling straight on .
 When i do ride with empty saddlebags ( i tested really because of this reason ) then the bike runs pretty well straight  without leaning on one side .
Summary : load the saddlebags equal ( weight )
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »

here's a thought, keep your hands on the grips. I know alot of guys do this, but IMO it's insane.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »

Hmmm  , that would fix it as well .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »

$.02:  Following the KISS principle, have the friend check the simple (and least expensive) items first. 
Thus, check:

Tire pressure

Saddle bag weight should be close to equal

Steering head bearings

Alignment (motor / trans to rear wheel)

Is the lean on deceleration or does it lean under cruise control too?  No one recommends riding "no hands" but to test the bike... mine seems right on both ways. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »

The early bikes 09 SERG with the 407 dunlops were known to pull and tires were cupping.  Doc

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »

It does it while cruising, Bag weight is equal. Thank`s for the help

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:40:29 PM »

Not that this is relevant, but I have an '08 SERK and it's always pulled to the left.

At first I complained about it to the dealer on the 1k check up.  I also have the handle bars turned slightly to the right.  I don't know if the two are related or not though.

At 6200 they replaced the rear wheel and of course had to realign the rear wheel.  After this the bike was better for tracking, but still not even a lean can you keep it upright without a hand on the bars.  My saddle bags favor the right side as the heavy one, always.

As far as the handle bars, remember in the old day when you would dump your dirt bike and twist the forks?  You would stand straddle the front wheel and give a yank to the handle bars to get them back straight.  I'm thinking that the trees are not adjusted right.  I think the lower clamps need to be loosened and then twisted and re-tightened to straighten the forks.  It's been this way since mile 1 right out of the dealership.  I don't have a problem, but it does bug me that the bars are just a tweak off from being straight while riding on the highway.

Do our newer bikes have side to side / front to rear offset between the tires like some of the older Harleys did?

Just thought I'd throw in my 2¢ of ramblings.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »

Before the MoCo replaced my front D407 for cupping, I started getting the death wobble on decel.  otherwise it tracks true with no hands!

BTW, has he checked to see if one a$$ cheek is larger than the other.  Is the side it pulls to the same hand he masterb.....    nevermind!
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »

Probably rear wheel alignment. only other cause would be a bent frame from too many wheelee's. :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »

JP, if the only time it leans is when he's hands free, his left hand must be heavier than his right.  Tell him to ride backwards and see if it leans the same way then.  If it does, it's all user error.  I thought only crotch rockets guys rode hands free...    :P

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »

Busting the man's chops about riding with his hands off the bars rather than dealing with the issue might be funny for one or two posts, then it's time to take his question seriously.  And the fact of the matter is a motorcycle should no more pull to one side than a car or truck should.  Would you guys accept a car that required you to countersteer all the time to keep it from pulling to one side?

Many legitimate issues have been brought up, like making certain the bags are evenly loaded, verifying correct air pressures and suspension settings, driver positioning on the bike, etc.  It's also a good idea with a pull complaint to try both left and right lanes of a mutiple lane highway to make certain the crown of the road isn't causing the pull.

Assuming none of the above issues is found to be the cause, I would look at the following:

-possible brake drag on one of the front brakes, such as with a sticking caliper piston
-powertrain alignment (not sure how that is checked or adjusted on an '09 frame?)
-rear wheel alignment in swingarm
-steering head bearing adjustment
-if everything else checks out, try a different tire

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 06:26:01 AM »

another thing to check is how much change does he carry in his pocket. does he dress to the left or right. does he have a heavy chain on his wallet. those kinda things right there I tell ya :yes:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »

Busting the man's chops about riding with his hands off the bars rather than dealing with the issue might be funny for one or two posts, then it's time to take his question seriously.  And the fact of the matter is a motorcycle should no more pull to one side than a car or truck should.  Would you guys accept a car that required you to countersteer all the time to keep it from pulling to one side?

Many legitimate issues have been brought up, like making certain the bags are evenly loaded, verifying correct air pressures and suspension settings, driver positioning on the bike, etc.  It's also a good idea with a pull complaint to try both left and right lanes of a mutiple lane highway to make certain the crown of the road isn't causing the pull.

Assuming none of the above issues is found to be the cause, I would look at the following:

-possible brake drag on one of the front brakes, such as with a sticking caliper piston
-powertrain alignment (not sure how that is checked or adjusted on an '09 frame?)
-rear wheel alignment in swingarm
-steering head bearing adjustment
-if everything else checks out, try a different tire

JMHO - Jerry

Thank`s grc

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.