Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Low(er) speed wobble.  (Read 6654 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Low(er) speed wobble.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »

Those tires shouldn't give you the flat spots you've referred to.  I ran them on a 600# Honda at higher speeds without ever having a problem with them.  I'd look very closely at the wheels- make sure they're properly round and straight.
Especially should not get flat spots on the rear.  Normally, flat spotting is caused by improper balance and poor damping (shocks).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 02:31:13 PM »

Especially should not get flat spots on the rear.  Normally, flat spotting is caused by improper balance and poor damping (shocks).

Jerry
Well as far as balancing the rear tire, it was never balanced. (On any of my bikes) I did have the new one balanced just to try and rule that out. The shocks could have contributed to it as it is an air ride system and I do ride with all the air dumped while in town and at close to max inflation while cruising down the highway.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

GVC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »

I had exactly the same problem on my 01 FLHRSEI2.  It was caused by the front rotor (s) being warped.  The brake pads made just enough contact to cause the oscillation back and forth. My bike did everything you are describing at low speed, and it was simply the warped rotors.  It had about around 10,000 miles on it, when it began.  Hope this helps.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 09:06:32 PM »

A buddy of mine mentioned that the other day to me. I have a set of TC rotors in the attic, I should try them out. The wobble bothers me more than the occasional squeak.
2023 CVO Road Glide

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »

Well, you've tried just about everything else....
Only other thing I can throw out there is the wheels.  Are you sure they're runing true?
If tires are new and balanced...steering neck greased and fallaway checked, I'd look into the rotors next providing wheels are true.  
Check it out by taking it on a long straight stretch of road...get er up to speed...pull clutch in and VERY gently touch the front brake lever.  See if it get's worse or better.  Then try it on just the rear brake.  Again, very gently.  
Also, make sure rear wheel is properly adjusted in swingarm.  I've seen where inproper alignment causes this kind of reaction but usually shows up when a new tire is installed. Suddenly    

let us know what you find out.  
Cheers,
J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

GVC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 06:24:12 PM »

By all means give the rotors a try, just make sure they are running true. Simply looking at them you could not tell they were warped. I first got suspcious of the rotors when I would put on the front  brake, I noticed somewhat of a reduction in the low speed front end wobble.  If I took my hands off the bars, it really increased in the oscillation frequency.  I had new Harley floating brake rotors installed.  It absolutely smoothed out all the wobble. My Bike is an 01 FLTRSEI2, I inadvertently identified it incorrectly in the last message.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 06:24:13 PM »

I spent a good portion of the afternoon today tearing everything down so I had easy access to the bearing. I tightened it maybe a 1/4". My "fall" away is just a touch on the tight side now (to my liking). While I was in there I changed the fork oil so it was worth while to check it out. A quick test ride around the block and it is better but not entirely gone. I'm thinking tire. However I'll live with it until this tire is toast.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

Have you tried taking a long straight edge and checking the alignment of the wheels, front and back? You'll probably need two people, if you have a jack get the bike upright on the jack, but not off the ground, or have someone hold the bike up. lay a straight edge along the side of the tires, should contact on the front and back of both tires with the front held straight. This can cause a wobble if the alignment is off, rear pushing at an angle on the front.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »

mine did the same thing ,a new sneaker was the cure,ride-on,headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

Headpan in the end that was the problem. After my last post in this thread I replaced both wheels with another set of RC Comps (not for this reason). I never had the problem again. Still curious as to why I had the wobble I replaced the front tire on the old wheels before selling them. I installed the old wheels on the new owners bike and he has never said a thing about any sort of wobble. Front tire! I'm sure someone said tire all along and my thick head had it in it that the tires were new. Since the initial problem I picked up my own tire machine and balancer and that sure makes me feel better balancing my own wheels. Having never balanced a rear before on my bikes both bikes are now done, hey I own the balancer! :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »

Puzzled,lucky mofo,,how much the tire machine set you back??.been thinking about getting one,,..wish I knew you were selling those rims...the ones pictured ,,,rite?..b
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »

Similar to the ones pictured. They were 18/18. I now run 18/21.

I was in the right place at the right time for once. I was with a bud at the house of a previous owner of one of the local mc shops and he had the equipment in his basement. I asked what he wanted for them and threw out $1500.... Let me go get the truck.......................

2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »

Balancer.
2023 CVO Road Glide
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.