Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making my Pioneer 2400NEX head unit weather resistant  (Read 688 times)

Timinfla2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Making my Pioneer 2400NEX head unit weather resistant
« on: December 18, 2020, 09:03:46 AM »

OK - If y'all are unfamiliar with the backstory, I'll give you the reader's digest version: I bought an incredibly good looking 2018 CVORG from a great guy who had a different style than me - he liked to ride to the bar and back or just leave the bike in the garage and crank the stereo. 

I actually ride, everywhere and almost every day.  So he did some things to the bike that were more suited for him than for me.  Most of the areas of concern have been addressed, save one - the aftermarket Pioneer 2400-NEX that he installed in place of the stock head unit. 

I have zero problems with the functionality of the head unit at all, my issue is that because I ride everywhere/all the time and live in FL, the rainstorms here can be biblical in nature.  I worry that the head unit won't stand up to the rain, and even worse when I'm making a cross country trip and I park it outside, it will be subject to whatever elements happen to be conjured up by the weather gods. 

Besides re-replacing the head unit with stock, does anybody have any ideas what I can do to make the head unit a bit more weather resistant?  I know I can cover the bike while parked.  But I'm looking for something that's idiot proof so when i get off my bike and forget to cover it, I don't come out the next morning with a useless head unit.

I have always been amazed at the good/creative ideas that come up from this forum so since I'm out of ideas, I figured I'd throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

Thanks folks!

-Tim

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Making my Pioneer 2400NEX head unit weather resistant
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »

I looked forever to find something to cover the head unit with on trips, one day I decided to use Saran Wrap or cling wrap that you use when needing to cover a bowl in microwave or just cover leftovers up on a plate.
Have kept a roll of it in the saddlebag for about the past 3 years now

Timinfla2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »

Thank you for passing that along - I might end up doing the same thing if I can't find an alternative.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »

Not sure if these will work but they make radio covers for marine application...

Scosche ACM1

Marine Radio Covers on Amazon

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »

could also try something like this: 
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »

I looked forever to find something to cover the head unit with on trips, one day I decided to use Saran Wrap or cling wrap that you use when needing to cover a bowl in microwave or just cover leftovers up on a plate.
Have kept a roll of it in the saddlebag for about the past 3 years now

I had a'16 RG and added a Sony head unit, had it in for 2 years and also lived in FL, never had any issues with water damage. Mine had the removable face plate and I NEVER removed it. I am betting you will be OK with doing nothing.  Most do not realize, marine head units are no more waterproof than non, they just have more weather resistant wiring and fittings.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.