Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New speaker change upgrade  (Read 1066 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

New speaker change upgrade
« on: January 08, 2021, 08:06:30 AM »

Doing a upgrade of the speakers have changed the rear speakers so far but it's a little more involved in changing the front  ???
Will be interesting pulling the bat wing off.
So far just with the rear speakers there's a big difference in the quality of sound,...happy so far :)

Glenncarp

Re: New speaker change upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »

Doing a upgrade of the speakers have changed the rear speakers so far but it's a little more involved in changing the front  ???
Will be interesting pulling the bat wing off.
So far just with the rear speakers there's a big difference in the quality of sound,...happy so far :)

Are these 2 OHM speakers? I do not believe they are as there are only a few who make them. I am thinking Pioneer are 4 OHM. If you are using the stock HD head unit and/or Amp, the volume output is going to be significantly less as HD components are 2 OHM. Went down this road a year ago.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »

Are these 2 OHM speakers? I do not believe they are as there are only a few who make them. I am thinking Pioneer are 4 OHM. If you are using the stock HD head unit and/or Amp, the volume output is going to be significantly less as HD components are 2 OHM. Went down this road a year ago.

Hehe, found out JBL makes some 2 ohm......I am in the process of acquiring parts to upgrade the stereo on mine and "thought" I had ordered 6.5" 4 ohm. Well, word to the wise.....don't do online shopping after a few beers. They came in and were 2 ohm. So I tossed them in, so I still need some 4 ohm 6.5's,  :confused5:

Cheers

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »

Hehe, found out JBL makes some 2 ohm......I am in the process of acquiring parts to upgrade the stereo on mine and "thought" I had ordered 6.5" 4 ohm. Well, word to the wise.....don't do online shopping after a few beers. They came in and were 2 ohm. So I tossed them in, so I still need some 4 ohm 6.5's,  :confused5:

Cheers

Paul

I would not mix 4 OHM with 2, heard that is really not good

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 07:37:37 PM »

They are 4 OHMs, I went with the 4 instead of the 2 OHMs because i find they have a better quality sound  more depth to the sound (at least for me they do)
I checked into the difference between the two and it says it's roughly 2.5dB difference in loudness not that I can notice that my hearing isn't that fine tuned. But I can notice the depth and quality of the sound.

From what I was reading 2 OHM speakers also don't last as long as 4 OHM one. That could be why I was finding the sound on mine to be getting sort of tinny sound (that's the best way I can describe it) I would have to turn it off. On some certain songs the sound was rubbish yet on another the sound was better.

So I'll try out these ones and see how they perform then go from there.

BTW,....I always listen to my tunes when riding and always though the external speakers.

Chucker57

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »

Let me know ow the 4 ohm's work. I'm not impressed with the sound of my stock speakers, 2019 CVO Street Glide. Not good bass and very treble sound.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »

I would not mix 4 OHM with 2, heard that is really not good

Not mixed, was gathering goods to upgrade all to 4ohm, new amp and speakers, but mistakenly ordered some 2ohm fronts. So put them in and will need to buy more 4ohm fronts. Moving from the stock 5x7, 5.25 and 200 watt amp to a 400 watt amp and 6x9's and 6.5's.

:drink:
2013 CVO RoadKing

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 10:06:58 AM »

Replaced all 4 speakers with 4 ohm from the 2 ohm stock big difference. Sounds great did a little mod on the fronts.
Did notice one thing that the rears were sounding better then the fronts. When I run the fade from rear to the front they did sounded tinny.
I'm sure it's because the rears are closed/boxed in that improves the sound quality. So I've improvised and cut the bottoms out of two 4L plastic milk containers and used the speaker fasteners to hold them on.

Made a little video, it'll give a general idea how it sounds. 

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.