Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installed My New ZUMO!!!!  (Read 3288 times)

REGGAB

Installed My New ZUMO!!!!
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:57:29 PM »

I installed my new Garmin ZUMO 550 and Techmount this evening.  It was a fairly straightforward and simple installation.  I ran power from the back of the cigarette lighter using solder joints to the hot and gound points, ran the wire bundle over the top of the radio, down the right side of the tach, through the right handle bar hole in the inner fairing and up to the ZUMO cradle.  I ran sound from the ZUMO, down the handlebar through the throttle/idle cable hole in the inner fairing, bundled the excess, and ran the other end through the right handlebar hole and to the AUX outlet on the front of the HK.  Works like a champ.

REGGAB

Re: Installed My New ZUMO!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:59:15 PM »

Now I just have to take the mount off the post and Dremel off the protruding lengths of cradle mount screws.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »

Good job glad you got it done now the fun begins. :2vrolijk_21:

Got a question for you. Why did you decide to put it on the right side vs the left? Because of most of the controls on the left of the Zumo and not having to take hand off throttle to use them I felt the left side was the best place to mount it. Only others that I've seen not mounted on left were bikes that already had some device on the left side.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »

Good job glad you got it done now the fun begins. :2vrolijk_21:

Got a question for you. Why did you decide to put it on the right side vs the left? Because of most of the controls on the left of the Zumo and not having to take hand off throttle to use them I felt the left side was the best place to mount it. Only others that I've seen not mounted on left were bikes that already had some device on the left side.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Excellent question, Gary.  Thanks.
I mounted on the right because I have a bottle caddy on the left.  The caddy isn't installed in the picture, but the mount is.  One just barely can see it.  My thought process was one of ease.  If I moved the bottle caddy to the right, it would have obscured my view of the oil pressure guage.........and I MUST see that guage.  The ZUMO doesn't do that.  Further, if the bottle caddy was on the right, I would have to really extend my reach to retrieve it's contents.  Further, the fit of the caddy liner does require significant force to insert and remove a bottle.  Once set, the ZUMO doesn't require much in the way of button pushing, and when it does, the manipulation is easy......it is a simple button push or screen tap.  Basically Gary, for me, and the way I ride, this was the lesser threatening of two "less than desireable means of execution."  Just trying to manage risk......'cause my hand doesn't come off the throttle unless I'm on cruise control.

Again, thanks for asking.  Now, I'm gonna go prove everything I just wrote.   ;D ;D ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:02:10 AM »

That answers my question perfectly as most I've seen go on that side was because of something else already mounted on the left. There isn't much button pushing needed once you get going and have the map screen up so you should be fine. I do fine myself because I've gotten friendlier w/the unit pushing more buttons playing with it while I safely can do so just to familiarize myself.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »

Great job, Henry........you're gonna love the zumo.  I fell in love w/ mine on the 1st trip w/ it to Memphis.  Now, just gotta go back and finish my mounting of the XM antenna (still not sure on where).  It is a lot more 'user-friendly' than I had expected, even for a oldster like me.  :confused5: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 01:43:21 PM »

Great job, Henry........you're gonna love the zumo.  I fell in love w/ mine on the 1st trip w/ it to Memphis.  Now, just gotta go back and finish my mounting of the XM antenna (still not sure on where).  It is a lot more 'user-friendly' than I had expected, even for a oldster like me.  :confused5: har!  spyder

Thanks Spyde!  I really like it.  It's pretty handy.  I just hope it doesn't make me lazy.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

Excellent question, Gary.  Thanks.
I mounted on the right because I have a bottle caddy on the left.  The caddy isn't installed in the picture, but the mount is.  One just barely can see it.  My thought process was one of ease.  If I moved the bottle caddy to the right, it would have obscured my view of the oil pressure guage.........and I MUST see that guage.  The ZUMO doesn't do that.  Further, if the bottle caddy was on the right, I would have to really extend my reach to retrieve it's contents.  Further, the fit of the caddy liner does require significant force to insert and remove a bottle.  Once set, the ZUMO doesn't require much in the way of button pushing, and when it does, the manipulation is easy......it is a simple button push or screen tap.  Basically Gary, for me, and the way I ride, this was the lesser threatening of two "less than desireable means of execution."  Just trying to manage risk......'cause my hand doesn't come off the throttle unless I'm on cruise control.

Again, thanks for asking.  Now, I'm gonna go prove everything I just wrote.   ;D ;D ;D

Had the same situation and I went the opposite way, on the left and took the bottle holder off. My reasoning was due to having had the HD Quest 2 on the right and I was constantly messing with it, either hitting the cruise or having to coast.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 06:11:32 PM »

If you are wondering what's with the mirror in the foreground of the picture, it is from the other bike. My wife only allows me a very small area of the garage. >:( >:( >:( >:(

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »

If you are wondering what's with the mirror in the foreground of the picture, it is from the other bike. My wife only allows me a very small area of the garage. >:( >:( >:( >:(

WOW.  I guess so.  That would suck.  Precondition to my marriage:  The garage is mine!!!!!!   :)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 06:52:36 PM »

WOW.  I guess so.  That would suck.  Precondition to my marriage:  The garage is mine!!!!!!   :)
"........and the scooter was here before you."  Better to just 'up front' settle the non-negociables, huh?  :-*  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »

"........and the scooter was here before you."  Better to just 'up front' settle the non-negociables, huh?  :-*  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

Yessir.  It's a package deal..........'cause I'm too old to change.   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »

Yessir.  It's a package deal..........'cause I'm too old to change.   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

We worked out the ultimate compromise...his and her garages.  Hers is attached to the house, mine is behind the house -

perfect harmony!   :sweetheart:

later...Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »

We worked out the ultimate compromise...his and her garages.  Hers is attached to the house, mine is behind the house -

perfect harmony!   :sweetheart:

later...Scott

Now THAT's perfect!!!  The time is drawing near for us to build a detached garage, and when we do, we'll have the same arrangement.  Seems the more toys I acquire, the more room I need.............plus, we're getting ready to get a vehicle for Stephanie, which is going to leave three vehicles in the driveway, which means we have to park vehicles the night before in the order of planned departure the next morning, which will be a hassle.....especially with my big ass truck.  Things would be much easier if I had my own garage out back, and I bequethed the attached garage to the Girls.  ::sigh::

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.