Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: zumo 550  (Read 4318 times)

harleymikeny

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
zumo 550
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »

just ordered zumo 550 hope its not a disapointment

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: zumo 550
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »

Just bought one myself - used it all day - not disappointing at all.  Adjusts to route changes very well. MP3 player works ok, too. 

Not completely sure, but it also appears the femalian voice on the Zumo is flirting with me.  ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:16:42 AM »

You will not be disapointed in the Zumo 550 as long as you take the time to learn the basic skills of setting up your Favorites, Routes and using the built-in features the Zumo has to offer.  Rich

harleymikeny

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
zumo 550
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »

how can i hard wire the zumo to the assc. switch

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »

I think someone answered this in another thread, Mike.....a plug under the seat somewhere, I think, but not sure.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »

I looked into doing that & it was too much work for me (too lazy to look for which color coded wires in the harness maze) so I wired mine into the back of the cigarette lighter.  Be sure & use the 2 amp fuse, regardless how its wired.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:12 PM »

Our HOG club has set up it's website so those that have Garmins can download routes of our club rides.  Until recently, I've had no trouble with the directions and the turn commands were right on.  However, our Activities officer updated her Garmin software to the 2008 map update and now I am getting the occasional misdirection.  Of course we have written back up, but that doesn't fix the problem I'm having.  Does anyone know if I install the 2008 map update will it fix the problem or is there something else going on with my 550??

Thanks, Framemaker

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »

There's a good installation article on the Zumo Forum. It covers just about any method.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=226.0

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »

Our HOG club has set up it's website so those that have Garmins can download routes of our club rides.  Until recently, I've had no trouble with the directions and the turn commands were right on.  However, our Activities officer updated her Garmin software to the 2008 map update and now I am getting the occasional misdirection.  Of course we have written back up, but that doesn't fix the problem I'm having.  Does anyone know if I install the 2008 map update will it fix the problem or is there something else going on with my 550??

Thanks, Framemaker
I had a similar problem with the 2008 update for my 2610 when we were using it in our car on a recent trip to Colorado and New Mexico.  Garmin had me turning into walls and dirt lots!  I would contact Garmin to see what they have to say.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

BigR55

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »

I bought the "Y" adapter for under seat connection to the accessory circuit. Pin out is a little confusing. On my first try, What I thought was a "-" caused the computer to read an error. Swithced to using frame for ground and it works OK.

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:20:16 AM »

I bought the "Y" adapter for under seat connection to the accessory circuit. Pin out is a little confusing. On my first try, What I thought was a "-" caused the computer to read an error. Switched to using frame for ground and it works OK.

The Accessory plug can be confusing.  All four pins are active, one of which is the negative post.
1. Is + when you turn the ignition on
2. Is + only when you turn the Accessory switch on with the ignition on. (Switched)
3. Is the Negative
4. is a positive lead from the brake light when the brake is applied.

I have my GPS connected to the switched lead on one section of the "Y" connector and the other section is used for my Wig Wag module for my brake lights.  Very handy circuit.

I had to use a volt meter and the manual to sort it all out.

BigR55

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 12:36:45 AM »

Thanks for the pin out Magic. I have a LED brake light strip to put under the tour pak. :)

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »

Thanks for the pin out Magic. I have a LED brake light strip to put under the tour pak. :)

Don't hold me to the number sequence just yet.  I will check "under the hood" in the morning and give you the exact sequence for each unless you intend to use a volt meter to check yours out.
I have the Led light strip on my trunk that connects to a lead under the trunk liner.  I added the "spoiler lights" to my side bags and they come with a harnes that hooks into the Accessory plug under the seat.  If it is the same one you are installing there are some links on this site with great instructions and pictures.  I will locate them and PM you with the link so we don't Hijack this Zumo post.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 06:28:41 AM »

I found it real easy to wire it to the battery.  It needs to be powered when used so a switch didn't seem necessary.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »

I found it real easy to wire it to the battery.  It needs to be powered when used so a switch didn't seem necessary.
The power connection on the Zumo may be different than my 2610.  If I had the unit removed, the contacts on the skid pad were exposed unless I remembered to have the plastic cover on, so I ran the risk of shorting out the contacts.  The Accessory Switch prevented that as I could power off the unit or the plug contacts.

However, you are correct as far as the ease with connecting to the battery.  Assembling the wires and connectors for the accessory plug near the battery is a bit of a PITA!

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

Magicl1;
The Zumo bike mount has a rubber magnetic cover the flips under the mount and attaches magnetically.  When the unit is off the bike, you flip it back up and over the skid pad and it protects it from the elements.  The first mounts they came out with, had a defective material that snapped in half after a couple of months use.  Garmin has changed the formula and will replace the defective covers with a phone call.  They attach with 2 small screws, so the whole base doesn't need to be replaced.

Framemaker

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 10:19:10 PM »

Magicl1;
The Zumo bike mount has a rubber magnetic cover the flips under the mount and attaches magnetically.  When the unit is off the bike, you flip it back up and over the skid pad and it protects it from the elements.  The first mounts they came out with, had a defective material that snapped in half after a couple of months use.  Garmin has changed the formula and will replace the defective covers with a phone call.  They attach with 2 small screws, so the whole base doesn't need to be replaced.

Framemaker
Hey Framemaker....thanks for that bit of info.  Do you know about when the 'change' to the better cover occurred?   :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

Spyder,
Haven't had the "dreaded rot" w/mine and I got it long before you got yours. If you do notice anything Garmin has been replacing them no questions asked, and as was stated earlier they are easy to replace. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 10:49:12 PM »

Spyder,
Haven't had the "dreaded rot" w/mine and I got it long before you got yours. If you do notice anything Garmin has been replacing them no questions asked, and as was stated earlier they are easy to replace. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
I know.....that's great to hear that the factory support is there w/ Garmin.  It's good to be 'loved'.  :-* har!   :drink:spyder

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 12:15:54 AM »

Hey Spyder:
I was one of the first to receive the 550,December 06, have actually had 2 replaced for various reasons. A friend of mine got his about 6 weeks after me, but his wore out sooner.  I believe mine was replaced in March of 07.  You don't have to send the old one back either.

Framemaker
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.