Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I've been quiet intentionally  (Read 3586 times)

PAhunter

I've been quiet intentionally
« on: May 16, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »

I've been quiet intentionally, I've posted on other sites but I buried my thoughts inside already started threads.. I just didn't want rumor or such to get in the way of my dealings w the MC and Dealer.. I've had numerous problems w my 2017 CVO. Trans blew 3rd gear, and sumped 3 times for me, and sumped once as the last straw that broke the back for the MC Rep (per him, followed my instructions to a tee on sumping and so it happened for him).. I just picked up my new 2018 CVO at no cost to me an hour ago (rode it home in the rain). It's a beautiful sled. As I was standing there talking w one of the owner today, he ask how I was feeling? And I told him I just don't know if I can hold one of the M8's together, years back I was off-road racing and I really wanted a KTM, but I kept blowing the cases and I fear that my riding style will be the same for the M8, and I have no intentions of changing my riding style, I told him.. He responded w and understand and did say M8 2018 are not coming in w the sumping issues and mine appeared to be more of an issue even though a 2018 long block was put in. However, the Stage 4 was also installed again.

I have access to a low mileage twin cam CVO for a fair price, and was thinking of grabbing that to secure my riding season because of my fears of the M8, possibly selling the M8 or trading it for a documented fixed running 2019, and the selling the twinky.. It's not that I have all kinds of money to throw around. However, I did sell a old car and stored the money for latter use on another project. I just didn't think it would be on another CVO for a good riding season.

With all that said, and I am confident some of you are just tickled to death you did not buy a M8, and some of you are just over joyed w your M8 (they are fine rolling machines especially w the Stage 4's).. If you had the money and knowing maybe what you know? And or what I know and experienced would you buy a Twin Cam if given the chance?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:44:15 PM by PAhunter »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: I've been quiet intentionally
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »

While the dealer told you the 2018's aren't coming in with the sumping issue, the evidence is pretty clear that isn't true.  Read the various sumping threads around here and you'll find the same issue as the 2017's.

I would think you could get a very good deal on a 2014 - 2016 Twin Cam.  Trade in values dropped significantly when the M8 was introduced, which isn't unusual when a manufacturer comes out with a major change.  If you want to make sure you have something to ride this summer, I think your plan to get a TC as insurance makes sense.  I would just caution you to make sure the lifter issue is addressed.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »

While the dealer told you the 2018's aren't coming in with the sumping issue, the evidence is pretty clear that isn't true.  Read the various sumping threads around here and you'll find the same issue as the 2017's.

I would think you could get a very good deal on a 2014 - 2016 Twin Cam.  Trade in values dropped significantly when the M8 was introduced, which isn't unusual when a manufacturer comes out with a major change.  If you want to make sure you have something to ride this summer, I think your plan to get a TC as insurance makes sense.  I would just caution you to make sure the lifter issue is addressed.

JMHO - Jerry
i cannot believe we are now recommending 110 twin cams. Jerry, can you believe it?  wow! this goes to show when you think it cannot get any worse it can and has. lifters now seem like childs play. cam bearing and compensators like a sunday school picnic.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »

Don't remember ever reading a definite solution for the oil migration issue that was occurring between transmissions and primaries.  This issue just wiped that one off the interest map.

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »

I would buy a used Twin Cam.  I would even consider the 103. I have the 110 and have had some work done on it. 
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

vetteman170

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:15:37 AM »

PAhunter        What's your riding style like that would maybe add to this problem ,just curious,  trying to understand   Thanks

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:29:49 AM »

Vetter, that's a question that has been batted around here on the site for a while now and can be based in part to how the MoCo is approaching this issue.  However, riding style has NOTHING to do with this.  If you are operating the motorcycle in the parameters of the design, how you ride said motorcycle doesn't matter.  It should work as designed whether you drive like an 80 year old great grandpa or Scott Parker.  Having a Harley factory/HR/QA/customer relations representative state to a customer "it's your riding style" is a load of horsey poop.  Then that line begins to infect our conversations.

I enjoy reading and participating in good, healthy discussions as much as the next person but the riding style deal is a burr under my saddle.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:34:52 AM by Haird »

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »

As I read this thread I started thinking that the 103 was a really great engine.  Should have never sold the SEEG

mark

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »

Obviously buy what you want, but it's hard to wrap my head around those that have such a bad experience with a product, yet keep buying it.  You want to buy a 110 as a "safety bike," which I consider the worst engine produced by the MoCo, up to the introduction of the M8.  Before buying a 110, re-read the many posts about lifters, compensators, excessive oil consumption, etc.  I, and three CVO riding buddies, all got rid of our 110s...that's not a coincidence.  If buying a "safety bike" I'd look at an Indian, BMW K1600B, etc.  At least get something reliable.             

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »

Vetter, that's a question that has been batted around here on the site for a while now and can be based in part to how the MoCo is approaching this issue.  However, riding style has NOTHING to do with this.  If you are operating the motorcycle in the parameters of the design, how you ride said motorcycle doesn't matter.  It should work as designed whether you drive like an 80 year old great grandpa or Scott Parker.  Having a representative state to a customer "it's your riding style" is a load of horsey poop.  Then that line begins to infect our conversations.

I enjoy reading and participating in good, healthy discussions as much as the next person but the riding style deal is a burr under my saddle.
burrrr, its cold in here!

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »

burrrr, its cold in here!

It was 65 at the house this morning...... ;D :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

PAhunter

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »

PAhunter        What's your riding style like that would maybe add to this problem ,just curious,  trying to understand   Thanks

Haird, I'm going to respond to this.. Because of what the MC rep responded to me under my concerns of holding an M8 together.. He said, "look I get it, you want that Stage 4 power, you want to rev it up through the gears, you want to feel it's torque and it's power, and with us putting this bike back together, the cylinders and pistons are matched and everything looks fine, crank, heads, your going to get back on this bike with the newest oil pump available and your going to love it".. and of course he then takes it out for 1 1/2 hrs (per my instructions) and brings it back sumped, w 1 1/2 quarts coming out of the Crank/block, and then says "it needs Jugs and Pistons". Fortunately I was standing there upon his return, and I said no "I need a new Bike".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:01:44 AM by PAhunter »

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »

Harley is on it's fourth generation oil pump now to solve the problem, while Fueling seems to have it fixed according to my Indy.

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »

Haird, I'm going to respond to this.. Because of what the MC rep responded to me under my concerns of holding an M8 together.. He said, "look I get it, you want that Stage 4 power, you want to rev it up through the gears, you want to feel it's torque and it's power, and with us putting this bike back together, the cylinders and pistons are matched and everything looks fine, crank, heads, your going to get back on this bike with the newest oil pump available and your going to love it".. and of course he then takes it out for 1 1/2 hrs (per my instructions) and brings it back sumped, w 1 1/2 quarts coming out of the Crank/block, and then says "it needs Jugs and Pistons". Fortunately I was standing there upon his return, and I said no "I need a new Bike".

:2vrolijk_21:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

When you do not know what is unknown, best strategy is to make that unknown into a known.  An excellent plan you had, hope others follow suit.  :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 26 queries.