Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: 103 builds, recommend big bore kits, best bang for your buck, questions  (Read 18963 times)

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2005 Fatboy CVO Plaitum Mist Slate

fellas I'm looking to do a build on my 103.  Its built decent right now it makes 109 HP and 113 foot pounds.  It runs well.  More is always better in my book.  Im looking into big bore kits.  I was wondering what is the best bang for my buck is.  I seen 124 kits up to 131 kits if I'm correct.  what do all you recommend?  I still want it some what streetable as well.  what kind of power do some of this kits make?  If any one has a complete lists with line items so I can do a little research on these on products that would be much appreciated.  Any information is GOOD information thanks again. 

Brandon.

MCE

I've had great results with S&S' 110 kits. 127/127 was the lowest one so far. 129/130 is typical
with my heads and a good pipe. One of these has close to 30,000 miles on it and still runs strong.

that one made 129/129. The sheet is on my website, and there's another one on MCE Performance
FB page.

You have to bore your cases to go any bigger than 110. I start with the stock 103 heads and work
them over heavily, custom made Manley valves and Manley's springs, I've had great results with
all of them. fyi....

MCE

Properly done, the 103 ACR heads work extremely well on larger than 110 too.
Over 120CI the SE110 heads are a good place to start. But they're really too big
for a 110 that's not going to be spinning above 6000 on a regular basis.

The SE110s need even larger valves put in them to get them to work right. The
throats are just too damn big in stock form. IDK what Harley was thinking when
they did that. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

It is easy to just do the heads cam and throttle body. Even my cheapie heads will get you 120 sq or close. Stock bottom end

MCE

fellas I'm looking to do a build on my 103.  Its built decent right now it makes 109 HP and 113 foot pounds.  It runs well.  More is always better in my book.  Im looking into big bore kits.  I was wondering what is the best bang for my buck is.  I seen 124 kits up to 131 kits if I'm correct.  what do all you recommend?  I still want it some what streetable as well.  what kind of power do some of this kits make?  If any one has a complete lists with line items so I can do a little research on these on products that would be much appreciated.  Any information is GOOD information thanks again. 

Brandon.

124 kits making 131 is nothing to write home about. I've been getting 130/130 out of 110 drop ons. Using re-worked 103 heads.

A 124ci a should put out north of 140 square.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:10:55 PM by MCE Performance »

MCE

You should be pretty close to 120/120 now (with 103ci) (If the heads are half-way decent).
If your heads are stock, I'd say you're doing pretty well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:33:53 PM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Matt notice a trend? Guys buy groups of parts above and beyond the stage the hd stage kits results are the same or less. Then this is tried to be molded into the new normal.  Look at the hp/ cu. in.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

So a 103 with stock heads makes 120?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

124 kits making 131 is nothing to write home about.

i do believe he was talking about 124ci to 131ci.  not a 124 making 131....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

MCE

i do believe he was talking about 124ci to 131ci.  not a 124 making 131....

Yeah, I see that now. My bad, misread it. (I'm trying to do 5 things at once)

I'm saying a 103 with a decent combination of parts and tune should be close to 120
Like high teens.

There's no mention of real specifics besides "its built decent". 109/113 is not horrible
but I have no idea what all has been done to get to that point.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:00:26 PM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

'm saying a 103 with a decent combination of parts and tune should be close to 120 
Like high teens

Matt, and that is without head work?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

103 can get their (or a bit more) with head work.  I didn't try it without. 

The 103 in my old 05 was built around Mackie 598 cams.  107 in build with those cams and some nice head work.  On different machines (one I knew and trusted one was a normal "oh we're at a rally let's waste $40 and loser buys the beer) had comparable numbers.  It was in to the low 120s but would suffer slight bit of detonation in really hot weather.  Just because I'm impatient with such nonsense had a little timing out and it ran reliably and really well running in the high 1-teens.  Would do that all day long and did so on long trips and a couple thousand mile days.  Man I liked that bike  8) .

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Ok so we are getting closer to reality..
05 5 sp bike, less drag than a 6 sp bike
250deg cam, healthy. I am sure there was a head package with that build that was not of the budget variety. And also sure there was a healthy amount of compression to get there and a larger TB likely.

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=115440.msg1463549#msg1463549

Here is my build. I can't say enough about it. Whole new bike.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Ok so we are getting closer to reality..
05 5 sp bike, less drag than a 6 sp bike
250deg cam, healthy. I am sure there was a head package with that build that was not of the budget variety. And also sure there was a healthy amount of compression to get there and a larger TB likely.

Definitely so.  Would never have gotten where it did without it.  Some nice head work.  Best amateur's math had it in at about 10.25:1.  Only a 50mm TB though.  Didn't want to start trading bottom end for top end.

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

So far I have mild cams, air cleaner, tts master tune, vance and Hines short shots, heads are stock. Id like to get in the high 120's Horse power range if possible.  Mainly I'm looking for tried and true builds / advices. What kit to get 110, 124,131. Money is not an issue but always would like to save money where I can.    If the attachment worked heres a pic of the old gal.  Fellas I appreciate all your information. 

Thanks Brandon.

MCE

'm saying a 103 with a decent combination of parts and tune should be close to 120
Like high teens

Matt, and that is without head work?

Head work. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:21:50 AM by MCE Performance »

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold

I would say to get to high 120's your going to have to go to 113 - 117 to get there. Both of which or anything bigger and your going to have to bore the cases. Low 120's for a very reliable 110ci. My experience/my opinion only.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Phaq2

• Junior CVO Member

Brandon.

Since you mentioned 124" -131" do yourself a favor...have a repritable builder  build your motor to 124" and get everything you want. That will be your biggest money saver. I did it the hard way. There are a few great engine builders out there. Kendal Johnson, Greg Dahl to name a couple..I suggest Jim Libonati @ Mega Flo. My dyno sheet is on here somewhere. It now has 25k on the motor and I tour with it! Good luck
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:20:16 AM by Phaq2 »

MCE

I would say to get to high 120's your going to have to go to 113 - 117 to get there. Both of which or anything bigger and your going to have to bore the cases. Low 120's for a very reliable 110ci. My experience/my opinion only.

I'll have to respectfully disagree; I've been getting 129/129 out of 110s pretty consistently. (using 103 ACR heads)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:00:15 AM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

So far I have mild cams, air cleaner, tts master tune, vance and Hines short shots, heads are stock. Id like to get in the high 120's Horse power range if possible.  Mainly I'm looking for tried and true builds / advices. What kit to get 110, 124,131. Money is not an issue but always would like to save money where I can.    If the attachment worked heres a pic of the old gal.  Fellas I appreciate all your information. 

Thanks Brandon.
Besides heads I build engines. The pipes will have to go. I can recommend what will get you where you want to be at. Mild head work with a 1.9 valve, added compression and taking your motor up to a 113, case bore required, with your crank reworked would be my approach. It is a softail so a concession needs to be made for that. They are a little down on power vs an A motor.

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

What pipes do you guys recommend that give you the most Power.  Im leaning towards that fuel Moto 110 kit possibly.  still diving into research.  Fellas many thanks again with all the feed back it is very appreciated.   

MCE

If you have time for it, great! (I don't)

There are LOTs of very good engine builders around here. They're factory certified techs running their
own shop or working at dealers.

They do all their own work including tuning. So there's no need for me to be doing it (even if I did have the time).
I used to build them here, but machine work and R&D eats up all my time. I can't even get around to putting my
own engine together, the machine work is done, but it's been sitting in boxes for a year.

Everyone's situation (and preferences) is different. I just don't have the time to be building the motors right now.
(I'll probably get one of my customers to do it)

Cheers now,
-MC

MCE

What pipes do you guys recommend that give you the most Power.  Im leaning towards that fuel Moto 110 kit possibly.  still diving into research.  Fellas many thanks again with all the feed back it is very appreciated.

Do you want to stay with duals? Or is a 2->1 an option?

MCE

A D&D Borezilla works well on 110ci, RB Racing has a good reputation, and Frank Drago makes some nice stuff.
Generally speaking, A 2:1 with stepped, equal length primaries will give you great TQ over a broad RPM range.

There are many good pipes out there.

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

pipe wise it doesn't really matter to me.  Looking for what makes the most..  Looking to dude this little build over winter.  I have a few good minds helping me.  MCE do your recommend the fuel Moto 110 vs the 110 S&S kit.  which is a better quality product?

MCE

pipe wise it doesn't really matter to me.  Looking for what makes the most..  Looking to dude this little build over winter.  I have a few good minds helping me.  MCE do your recommend the fuel Moto 110 vs the 110 S&S kit.  which is a better quality product?

I've only used the S&S kits. One of them has 30,000 miles on it and was still going strong until he
had a valve spring break but it didn't destroy the motor. S&S makes the liners from steel. They're very
durable. Don't know anything about the FM ones.

Hope that helps.
-Matt

ScotW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

I could be wrong but I believe the FM cylinders are S&S

MCE

I had heard that. I'm pretty sure he's not making them himself. But who knows?

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

The s&s 110 bolt on cylinders are no longer steel....some form of centrifical cast iron

If you want an honest 130/130 build a 113/117

Last one that left here with a pretty mild cam made 129/141 with a junk eBay Dan Moto pipe
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

if your looking for good HP/TQ but still truly tour & do long distances on the bike,i would really look into doing a 124",even in a very mild build,your going to do more than a aggressive build 110 and have tons more reliability.we do a lot of 124" here,starting at 3500.00,feel free to give a call

MCE

Kirby,
Are those the heads you're using on the 124s? I'm curious b/c we were thinking of trying
those on a 124.

(+1 Adding displacement is the most reliable way to increase TQ)

Thanks,
-Matt

MCE

The s&s 110 bolt on cylinders are no longer steel....some form of centrifical cast iron

If you want an honest 130/130 build a 113/117

Last one that left here with a pretty mild cam made 129/141 with a junk eBay Dan Moto pipe

John, was it an SE255 cam set by chance? haha
Just kidding...

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Kirby,
Are those the heads you're using on the 124s? I'm curious b/c we were thinking of trying
those on a 124.

(+1 Adding displacement is the most reliable way to increase TQ)

Thanks,
-Matt

No,just a old pic.I like the 110 heads for 124 builds.I have use many 103 heads with very good results though

MCE

Thanks for the reply.

We want to try some 103 casting on a 124 (or 117) to capture some data.

The models I've made seem to suggest that they can work just fine. I just
want to try it and see if my theories are correct.

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

just as the 110 heads chamber is too big for most smaller builds,the 103 heads are too small for most 124 builds.not a deal stopper by any means,just more work for each build

MCE

just as the 110 heads chamber is too big for most smaller builds,the 103 heads are too small for most 124 builds.not a deal stopper by any means,just more work for each build

Part of the plan is to open up the chamber Kirby. I'm going to un-shroud the valve(s) while adding chamber volume.
No surface milling in the cards (other than maybe a cleanup cut). We'll get the chamber figured out as we get closer.

Thanks!

ps: The goal is to make a Torque monster for street/cruising. (not a high HP engine, but we'll see where that ends up)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:07:41 AM by MCE Performance »

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

can any one send me a link to what the think the best 110 kit is or what I would need.  2005 Fatboy cvo.  Will my heads work this with if I get them massaged over.  Or do I need a new set?  I contacted fuel Moto and this was there response.  Quote 

"Brandon

Thanks for reaching out to Fuel Moto. Sorry to say we do not have a 110 kit for your 2005 Softail. We do not have a piston that mates up with the cylinder head used on the 2005 CVO 103.

Please get back to me with any questions.

Thank you.........Bob"

As always Many thanks fellas !!!!!!

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Fellas here what I was thinking about getting.  Please give me some feed back or point be in a better direction.  See attachment.

Also need to know what I need to do with my heads with this or if I can use them.  Bob from Fuel Moto says the heads in that kit wont work on my bike.

Thanks Brandon

MCE

Brandon,

Get yourself a set of 103 take-offs and have them worked over. I've done (the machine work on) quite a few,
they get anywhere between 126/126 to 130/130 depending on the pipes and TB used.

The engine builders used the S&S conversion cylinders on those builds.

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

what do you think of that Kit above

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

buy the time I buy a set of heads for evil bay for 200, have them massaged I'm guessing 500 to 8 or 900 maybe. then throwing the goodies in them.  Would I be better off just buying a new set of S and S heads done up?

Many thanks

MCE

I hate to say this, but S&S' heads aren't that good. in fact they're terrible (their "Super Stock" heads anyway) 
You'd have to put a bunch of work in them to make em decent. So, in short, NO!

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

thank you sir I appreciate your honesty.   

MCE

That was really hard for me to say publicly, but I have to be honest. Generally speaking, S&S' products are
very very good. But those Super Stock heads are severely lacking. I don't know what they were thinking.

MCE

They can be modified to make them work really well, but after it's all said and done, you're better off
with a set of 103 heads. 

ScotW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Have MCE do your heads trust me you won’t be disappointed

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Sooo these would be a good candidate to massage up??? Im sorry for all the questions but again thank you for the knowledge!!

See attachments.

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

I am and will be in the market here.  Might run them down the GMS Racing and have Greg do them up there like 2 hours from me.  I have herd a lot of great things about them guys.  MCE could be a potential candidate as well .  Like I said early in this thread I trying to find all the info I can from the educated on this build I want to do.  MCE what do you guys charge to get the heads done up??

Phaq2

• Junior CVO Member

Might run them down the GMS Racing and have Greg do them up there like 2 hours from me. 

Can't go wrong there. Don't forget Mega-Flo is in Portersville, Pa which is about an hour and a half North of GMS depending on where you're located. Good luck

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

That was really hard for me to say publicly, but I have to be honest. Generally speaking, S&S' products are
very very good. But those Super Stock heads are severely lacking. I don't know what they were thinking.

100% agree

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Sooo these would be a good candidate to massage up??? Im sorry for all the questions but again thank you for the knowledge!!

See attachments.
The 103 cvo heads are a great start

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

About an hour from here..... Cleveland

www.jwperf.com

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

what is a hour from Cleveland ?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member

Anastasia I sent you a PM.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MCE

Re: 103 builds, recommend big bore kits, best bang for your buck, questions
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »

what is a hour from Cleveland ?

John is close to Columbus (Ashland).

Anastasia_05

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »

ok cool thats not to bad from me. 

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2018, 06:17:47 AM »

An hour from either Matt.......out here in the sticks

www.jwperf.com

MCE

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »

An hour from either Matt.......out here in the sticks

Oh crap. I keep forgetting. I'll have to come see your new place before it finally sinks in. I hope
(it's easier to get to)

Jimmybrown78

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2020, 03:39:19 PM »

Good evening I would like to get more information on The S&S 110 kit. I have a 2005 Electra Glide CVO with the 103, 2 into 1 thunderheader and rocket cam 554 installed. I’m thinking about a Big bore kit and some head work, but can’t get a definite answer that the 110 kit is 100% bolt on for my cases .

Does anyone on the thread do headwork close to Savannah Georgia??

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2020, 08:16:32 PM »

Good evening I would like to get more information on The S&S 110 kit. I have a 2005 Electra Glide CVO with the 103, 2 into 1 thunderheader and rocket cam 554 installed. I’m thinking about a Big bore kit and some head work, but can’t get a definite answer that the 110 kit is 100% bolt on for my cases .

Does anyone on the thread do headwork close to Savannah Georgia??

John Sachs
Ft Lauderdale, FL
954-473-2980

John is a member here too..... he’s done a few CVO 103 heads  ;D
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »

John Sachs
Ft Lauderdale, FL
954-473-2980

John is a member here too..... he’s done a few CVO 103 heads  ;D
Phone # and addy are changed to: Phone = 386 561 - 9044.
1252 Catalina Blvd.
Deltona, Fl. 32725
John

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »

Phone # and addy are changed to: Phone = 386 561 - 9044.
1252 Catalina Blvd.
Deltona, Fl. 32725
John

Thank you, sir
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 24 queries.