Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smart Tune Pro v. Power Vision  (Read 1625 times)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Smart Tune Pro v. Power Vision
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »

I have always used the Power Vision on my other bikes.  Thinking of keeping the new bike all H-D for now due to the warranty.  Any feedback on the H-D system vs. the Power Vision?
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
Re: Smart Tune Pro v. Power Vision
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:09:50 AM »

Genuine HD accessories installed/registered on the SRW within the first 60 days by an AD receive custom coverage, 2 years/unlimited mileage, just like the rest of the bike. If you purchase ESP, those items listed on the SWR receive the same coverage as the rest of the bike.
That option does not exist for the PV, and HD can void powertrain warranty/deny claims on a PV equipped bike.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:14:25 AM »

also, the hd product stays within epa regs, while the pv can tune outside epa parameters.  hence the voiding of warranty coverage.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »

The Harley product is quite limited because it cannot make any changes that would affect emissions.  The aftermarket products such as the PV can modify many more parameters, including settings in the ranges where EPA regulations apply.  If warranty is very important to you, avoid the aftermarket systems.  And you may find, as many customers have indicated in reviews I've read, that the Harley system will leave you highly disappointed compared to your previous bikes that were properly tuned with a full featured aftermarket system.  A couple I read said it was no better than stock, others claimed they were very satisfied.  Reviews of products these days are worth little in the decision making process, since people learned to have fake reviews posted to either promote their product or to make a competitors product look bad. 

I suggest you make your decision based on your tolerance for risk on the warranty and ESP issue.  If you're willing to risk having to pay for all powertrain failures out of pocket, have the bike professionally tuned with an aftermarket system.  If the thought of having to throw down many thousands of dollars to repair/replace an engine gives you nightmares, stick with the legal tune that came with the bike or spend many hundreds on the Harley offering (modification of the exhaust for the wideband sensors is not included in the price) and hope it wasn't money wasted.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

IA17RGU

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »

So after much reading, education, and graduating from a certified course, I’m my punk assed, three day on the job, know nothing, wet behind the ears opinion....after the lawsuit by the epa all harley tuners are California compliant. Which means they are leaving something on the table...

I run the other guy on my bike. PV and very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »

Sadly, what I'm hearing is what I suspected all along.  For whatever reason, I bought an extended warranty on the new bike because of the issues I have heard with the motor, and all of the electronics on the bike.  My other bikes were all tuned with PV or PVCX ( I have an Indian as well as the HD's) by Fuel Moto.  Some days I wished that I had just gone with what I've been doing, too late now as the warranty is probably more important to me now than the performance gains I would get from FM.  The only consolation is that I can remember riding bikes when they weren't 111's, 117's or 124's, and it helps keep things in some perspective.  I guess when I really want to let it rip, I'll take out the 2010 with the tuned S&S 124.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »

Everyone needs to remember the ESP is not an extended warranty. Has lots of items it does not cover and is not subject to consumer warranty regulations and laws.
It is NOT a warranty even though you buy it from a Harley Dealer in most cases.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »

That is correct, it is more of an insurance policy than a warranty.  Actually, CNA Insurance administers the program.  As with any insurance product, there are coverage's and exclusions to the policy.  Unfortunately, because it is a manuscripted plan, they can deny coverage based on anything that is not affiliated with H-D MOCO.   

MakoCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »

PowerVision is going to give you significant performance over the HD tuner.  Night and day, no debate.  Now, when it comes to warranty, you need to remember a few things.  First, your dealer needs to keeps it's service dept busy, so they are going to work to submit claims.  Where you will have the issue is if you have a major problem, and HD has to come inspect the bike, OR, you are on the road and visit a dealer you don't have a relationship with.  You can flash your PV back to the stock map. 

I'm due for my 1K service, going in next week.  Once I get it back, I'll load my PV, and install a new headpipe.  If I end up having a major issue, I'll replace the headpipe, reload my stock map, and bring the bike in.  Worth the hassle, the 117 in my CVO needs to wake the &^%$ up.   
2019 CVO Road Glide
2018 Anniversary Breakout - sold
1995 Fat Boy - sold

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »

Agreed, I had a catastrophic engine failure with my 110.  I had to do the same thing to get warranty to cover it, good thing that I had the original parts.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 24 queries.