Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fuel - Diesel or Gas?  (Read 5062 times)

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
Re: Fuel - Diesel or Gas?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 06:56:51 AM »

reading through all the post has got me thinking about my work truck. i truly have no insight as to which is a better choice for towing, i guess it comes down to need / price /and want. it was all the posts about maintenance, oil testing and the like that prompted me to share about my 2001 F350-Gas-SWR.  i work for a utility company in Florida and run all over the whole state. the truck as of this am has 286,000 miles on it. I tow a 7000lb tandem axel trailer , about 5000lbs of steel equipment lashed to it  about 50% of the time. I would classify the use as sever duty, i typically run at about 78-79 MPH, unless on Alligator Alley where 85+ is the norm. The company i work for does not believe in preventative maintenance, and are very conservative on they spend in keeping vehicles running (cheap). when on jobsites throughout the summer months the truck will idle 6-10 hours a day, for the inverter to keep computers and fusing equipment running.
the oil gets changed at about 10,000 miles. since the truck was new the only parts changed on it has brake pads/rotors, battery's, one serpentine belt, and 2 evaporators on the a/c system and a bunch of wiper blades. EVERYTHING else is original to the truck, Starter, alternator, coolant, water pump, hoses. it has never had a trans flush or a filter. it has the original idler pulley on it. the plugs and coil paks are original.it was had maybe 3 air filters in its lifetime. it does not use a drop of oil, there are no leaks and it runs like a top. it averages 15mpg not towing,11 towing.
   To say that vehicles are constructed better and last longer is an understatement. i am a 100% Chevrolet guy, many corvettes over the years,trucks and some blazers. But for the reasons above... i believe in Ford Tough... great trucks !!!
   as for maintenance on my own things, i am a fanatic, just like the rest of the you reading this post and will continue to be, even though it most likely overkill

2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »

18K towing plus - diesel.
20K plus DRW

All 3 are good, have had two, DMax and Ford.

Any of the Ford 6.7's from 2011 JOB 2 on are fine. Ford did their homework with the this engine trans combo and go it right.

Have 110K on my 2011 F-350 Ford now, About 50K of that towing our RV.
RV prior to this past June was a 17-19K toy-hauler. Current RV is a tipping the scales at 22K
Real numbers are 8-8.5 mpg towing, 13-14 not towing. Seldom see 14 anymore. Truck is heavy, about 10K.

Waiting on the 2020 models to come and will be moving up to a 450.

Not buying the RV for 2 years?
Buy whatever you want or need now.

Then buy the RV you want and buy a truck to match.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »

To go along with the gas versus diesel question, are northerner's having cold weather gelling issues with the diesel fuel?

I was service manager at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership back in the late 70' through the 80's and when the first Pontiac diesel car came out, we had numerous issues with gelling of the fuel.  I owned an '81 Olds Tornado diesel through one winter and I didn't have any issues, but I always carried a couple blankets, food etc with us when we ventured out from our home base very far.  That was in mid Michigan area.

So have they made improvements in fuel winter additives, tank heater, line heater etc?

I don't know that I'll be living in MI over the winter, but even an occasional trip to see family I could encounter zero to ten below on any given night.

Just thought I'd throw out the question.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

New Jersey, so we seldom dip below zero. Have had no issues in 14 years of diesel ownership. Mine are every day vehicles.

MV 2013

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »

There is a winter mix here in Wisconsin. The fuel company that delivers to our work brought the wrong mix the other year and had a problem with the fuel gelling up. The diesel pumps at some of the local gas stations put a tag on the pump saying if it is winter mix or not. As long as you put the right mix in it shouldn't be a problem.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »

Kevin, we missed you and the misses last June in ES.  But as I've read, you two did Sturgis instead.  Was it your first trip to Sturgis?  Hope you had a great time.

After I retire, the wife and I plan to do some WI traveling and do the Milwaukee HD sites.  Maybe we can get together with you two then.

As far as the fuel goes, I wasn't sure if the northern state did a seasonal blend or not.  I know that gas gets a blend in the winter and you lose a bit in mpg with it.

Years ago the trick was to mix gas with diesel fuel to help it fire up better and to help with possible gelling.  In theory it worked, but when filling up with half a tank you never really knew how much gas you had in the mix.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »

Kevin, we missed you and the misses last June in ES.  But as I've read, you two did Sturgis instead.  Was it your first trip to Sturgis?  Hope you had a great time.

After I retire, the wife and I plan to do some WI traveling and do the Milwaukee HD sites.  Maybe we can get together with you two then.

As far as the fuel goes, I wasn't sure if the northern state did a seasonal blend or not.  I know that gas gets a blend in the winter and you lose a bit in mpg with it.

Years ago the trick was to mix gas with diesel fuel to help it fire up better and to help with possible gelling.  In theory it worked, but when filling up with half a tank you never really knew how much gas you had in the mix.

Northeast blends a winter mix for fuel.

Adding gas in new vehicles would destroy the fuel pumps. Typically a 10,000-18,000 repair. 100% of the fuel system has to be replaced when the pump self destructs.

MV 2013

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

Northeast blends a winter mix for fuel.

Adding gas in new vehicles would destroy the fuel pumps. Typically a 10,000-18,000 repair. 100% of the fuel system has to be replaced when the pump self destructs.

Got ya by the short hairs, don't they...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »

Never want to mix gas in one of the newer low sulfur burning diesels. Never. DOPE who was supertindent of local school system did it on his new Mercedes then lied to dealer about what happened. Cost him $6800. He tried to turn in on his accident insurance, that didn't work either.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 07:04:40 AM »

We had a blast in sturgis and it was our first time. Won't know if we can make it to ES this year either, won't know till feb. That would be cool to meet up and do some riding around together. Did you ever get that bike done that you should me?

The diesel fuel here gets a winter mix as well, not just gasoline.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »

all kinds of winter additives at any of the large box stores and truck stops! and it actually works!! :2vrolijk_21:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »

We had a blast in sturgis and it was our first time. Won't know if we can make it to ES this year either, won't know till feb. That would be cool to meet up and do some riding around together. Did you ever get that bike done that you should me?

The diesel fuel here gets a winter mix as well, not just gasoline.

Kevin,

Still not working on the Boardtrack.

I've got the tanks a bit further along than in the pictures now though.  Been doing some filling to finalize the shape and smooth things out a bit.  I've sealed the inside of the gas tanks and new oil tank I had to make since I went to scratch built gas tanks and lost the oil tank that I had in one of the Fat Bob tanks.  I used Por-15 tank sealer in all three.  This stuff is very tuff and flexible.  I did some samples along with the tank sealing and I cannot get it to come loose or chip even when I hammer the sheet steel sample.  I also soaked it in MEK, alcohol and gas for a couple weeks without any deterioration that I can see, so good enough for me.

Here's the full shot.

The two tanks are mounted inside on the main frame rail with two mounts, one front and one rear.  Then the top sheet metal plate is attached to the inside top rail of both tanks as a filler.  I've used polished 10-32 SS button heads to hold the cover plate down.  They kind of look like polished rivets.  With the two inside tank mounts and then the sheet metal cover plate, they are really firmly mounted.  Because the inside mounts are not reachable after the top cover plate is bolted on, I had to do something to assure the two tanks would always be in the same position relative to each other.  So on the mounting tabs for the front and rear inside mounts, I had extra width of metal and I drilled 1/8" holes through all four tabs and then welded a locating pin to each bottom tab front/rear.  That way the two tanks always line up with each other.  Tried it a few times and can always get the top cover plate 10-32's in the threads...

This leaves me about 3" between the tanks inside and that's where the horn and wiring assembly will be mounted.

When I made the oil tank I kept the top of it parallel with the top frame bars.  I have three mounts for the oil tank and they are all urethane donut mounted, so a little vibration is okay.  I have polished SS 3/8" oil lines I've made up, but have been warned against them as they are solid and no flex joints.  I'm thinking that it won't be an issue since the tank is a bit loose and the motor will be solid mounted, we'll see how it works.

The pipes are all done now and have been Jet-Hot coated inside and out.  No black color on the inside, just the outside. 

You can also see the rear fender mounting is kind of a spoke arrangement.  I drew it up in AutoCAD to made the radius of the fender and then had them cut here at work on the water jet.  I used the same 10-32 SS button heads there as well.  Not sure what color I'll be doing.  Maybe old style light blue/grey'ish color with darker blue pin stripes.

You can see the bundle of wires on the right hand throttle area.  These are the wires for the gauges.  The gauges are inside the mirrors and only show up when turned on.  The left has the speedo, L turn, Hi beam and the right side has the tach, R turn, Neutral and low oil pressure.  They are made by Badlands.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.