Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sticky throttle  (Read 4011 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
Sticky throttle
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:42:33 PM »

Was finally able to get out yesterday and today and put some miles on my 13 Ultra CVO and I noticed a problem. The throttle is sticking! I hit the brake to turn off the cruise and I didn't slow down!

Can I lube this somewhere or do I need a new part? This throttle on this bike has always been kind of glitchie, not real smooth if that makes any sense!

Thanks

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Sticky throttle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:56:28 AM »

With ETC (Electronic Throttle Control), the cables don't need lube like the "old days."  ETC uses a twist grip sensor (TGS) that sends a signal to the throttle control actuator (TCA).  The TCA might be the problem here, and IIRC, the entire induction module has to be replaced if the TCA goes bad.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »

Had a similar problem on my '12 Road Glide. Had to replace tbw assembly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »

Before assuming the worst and replacing the throttle actuator assembly, make sure the twist grip itself isn't dragging/hanging up.  Open the throttle and release the grip, does it snap back to the idle position or does it stick or just slowly return?  Some grips can bind in the switch housing if it's mispositioned, and some of the twist grip sensors in the handlebar have also had sticking issues.  In other words, do some diagnostics before just replacing parts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »

i'm not so sure that your throttle is the problem.  in your op you describe hitting the brake and your cruise not disengaging.  with the tbw, when you engage the cruise control, your throttle grip will go back to the zero position.  the cruise does not hold the throttle grip in the open position.

there are 4 ways to disengage your cruise control:  foot brake, hand brake, clutch, throttle roll forward, and of course completely turning it off.  do any of the other ways work?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:41:41 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »

i'm not so sure that your throttle is the problem.  in your op you describe hitting the break and your cruise not disengaging.  with the tbw, when you engage the cruise control, your throttle grip will go back to the zero position.  the cruise does not hold the throttle grip in the open position.

there are 4 ways to disengage your cruise control:  foot break, hand break, clutch, throttle roll forward, and of course completely turning it off.  do any of the other ways work?

I agree.  If the problem is that the cruise doesn't disengage, as opposed to the throttle actually sticking, more diagnostics are in order.  To the OP; when you try to disengage the cruise, does the indicator light go out or change color indicating the cruise has been turned off?  If not, then something is causing the disengage signal to not be acted upon by the ECM.  Try all the various methods listed above for turning off the cruise and let us know if any of them actually shut it down.  If the only thing that DOESN'T shut it off is applying the brake, you may have a problem with the brake switch.  Btw, which brake are you using?  If using the front won't shut it down, then try the rear.

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:36:12 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:50:17 AM »

Good morning everyone and thank you for the suggestions. The cruise is disengaging, the light goes out and I have tried all 4 ways to disengage the cruise. The throttle sticks even without the cruise, it was just while using the cruise is when I actually noticed it.

No work has been done on the grips since May of 15 and I do not recall this sticking before. I will do as suggested and make sure the grip itself is not hanging up somehow

Thanks again for the help!

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »

I've had the same problem on my FLHXSE3.  My problem was the handle bar sensor.  It was not smooth from day one and had a rough spot slightly after idle position.  I could twist the throttle and feel the hard spots.  That made slow speed maneuvers very difficult to say the least.  I replaced the handle bar sensor and all is good.  Dealer said that sometimes there is a bad one.  It sounds like you have the same problem and more so since it doesn't come back to idle when you cancel the cruise. 

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »

Had same issue on my 2010 FLHXSE. Unscrewed and and re-torqued the grip housing and all is well.

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:46:49 PM »

I've had my "twist grip sensors "replaced twice due to sticking. I've got a couple of buds that have had the same issues. Yes it is annoying at slow speed. The dealer kept insisting they could adjust it, but never could. With the new TBW it's internal and not adjustable. This is where warranty comes in handy.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »

I know this is an old thread, I am having similar issues.

The throttle doesn't snap back to position and is not smooth.

I can roll the throttle back to idle position.

Before i I take  it into the dealer just wanted to check that there are no adjustments, tbw.
2015 cvo rg.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:36:39 PM »

make sure grip is free moving in the switch housing, if housing is slide to far onto the bars it can cause grip to drag
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »

make sure grip is free moving in the switch housing, if housing is slide to far onto the bars it can cause grip to drag
^^^this. Can also have so dirt between the grip and the bar. It's easy to pull that grip and check.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.