Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TRADE IN AT HARLEY  (Read 2246 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
TRADE IN AT HARLEY
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »

I READ WHERE HARLEY IS GIVING YA WHAT YA PAID FOR YOUR BIKE ON TRADE ON A NEW ONE,... I KNOW ITS A BULLSH** STORY ,  :nixweiss:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: TRADE IN AT HARLEY
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:23:14 PM »

I READ WHERE HARLEY IS GIVING YA WHAT YA PAID FOR YOUR BIKE ON TRADE ON A NEW ONE,... I KNOW ITS A BULLSH** STORY ,  :nixweiss:

YEP!  Dealer offered me $15K for my "Maybelle", in on a New CVO Trike.  When pigs fly!  Got more than that in the Motor!  I didn't expect anything less from 'em, though.  I was just fishing.  If I $ell it, I wait 'till Spring, and sell it myself.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »

a couple years back they had a program where if you bought a sporty you could trade it in up to 1 year later for original price toward a bigger bike
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »

^^...and that worked so well the program was followed up by killing the Sportster. :drink:

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 06:32:56 PM »

If it was a dealer offer they could easily hide enough money in a deal to cover the difference in price from current value to sticker price on a trade in bike (especially when financing).  Recently helping a friend buy his first Harley  a dealer tried to get him to sign a deal that total payments with down payment would have been around 50K on a 29K Special with a couple of accessories added to the deal!  That's almost 20K in profit, bs fees & interest without counting dealer profit back of sticker (which is more than most people think)!  So in conclusion the secret to a particular deal is in the math.

P.S. We left that dealer (Fast!) and the next day found a CVO RoadGlide for sticker O.T.D. which was way less than that awful dealer tried to pass off on a Special! 
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »

A few years ago.....tried selling the '08 privately and at the dealers BYOB parking lot sale.....not one bit of interest at my asking price.....saw the '12 Ruby / Typhoon FLHXSE3 in the showroom and worked a deal......I paid MSRP and got header and slip-ons included...and 20% on about $4000 of King TP
 and a few other accessories.....and they gave me more for my trade than I was asking and not getting any bites ...the math worked for me.

More recently.....Mountainview gave me near the high end of advertised asking prices  on trade....and about $1000 below MSRP....math worked for me again.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:51:04 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 05:38:33 AM »

Any upgrades you do to your bike add little in terms of trade, they might or might not have value to a private seller. Heavily modified bikes are best sold privately. I’ve owned 27 or 28 bikes over my 44 years of riding, about half being Harley’s. Sold some privately and traded others. Last few, I use kbb motorcycle to get an idea of trade vs private. I’ve always done better than what they say is a fair trade value but never as well as the dealer retail on a used bike. Try to stay between those 2 numbers.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »

Any upgrades you do to your bike add little in terms of trade, they might or might not have value to a private seller. Heavily modified bikes are best sold privately. I’ve owned 27 or 28 bikes over my 44 years of riding, about half being Harley’s. Sold some privately and traded others. Last few, I use kbb motorcycle to get an idea of trade vs private. I’ve always done better than what they say is a fair trade value but never as well as the dealer retail on a used bike. Try to stay between those 2 numbers.

When I traded in my '08 SERK Anni, it was upgraded with new exhaust, rear running boards, leather tourpak, Stage I AC and a few more upgrades etc.

The salesman told me that none of the items added would net me anymore value to them when traded in.  I asked if the bike were showroom stock, would it be the same trade-in?  He said yes.  That night I had all the original items back on the SERK and bone stock again for the trade the next day.

I later sold all my add-on items for almost $3k.  That's $3k in my pocket.

General advice:  IF you still have your take-off items from stock, do yourself a favor and put them back on for a dealer trade-in.  Selling outright, the add-ons might get you some of your investment back, kind of like doing the right home remodeling; some net you more than others, so pick wisely... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »

Just traded my '12 FLHXSE3....kept almost $6000 CDN retail of add-ons....still trying to sell the King TP......most other stuff either fits the new bike or has been sold locally.

After the deal was done and I had the new bike in my garage ..in an e-mail I asked the sales-lady if they wanted the TP and what they'd give me for it. She said they gave me too much for my bike...would I give it to them? hahaha

Anyone know of a new owner of a '12 FLHXSE3 in Ruby/Typhoon in BC?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:53:49 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »

Was gonna trade my 2018 CVO Anniversary in on a 2021 Road glide Limited. They offered me 32,160. But i didn't do the deal at that moment. I was wanting to see the Snake Venom bike in person. Salesman called me & said they had one shipping & should have in week or so. So called wanting some numbers. Talked to Sales Manager & he said OOH may want to sell your bike your self now cause the trade went down. He said now trade was 27K. I said less than 3 weeks ago it was $32. He said the market changed. ALso said CVO's are hard to sell used. Well i call that B.S. So in 3 weeks it dropped 5K. I'll never do business with these shady S.O.B.'s. Dealer is Cowboy Harley Austin,Tx.   
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 07:05:39 AM »

The last time I saw that was 1995, and it happened to me.  In 1991 I bought a new Heritage for $12,200 out the door.  In 1995 a dealer in SoCal offered me $12,200 for it.  I took the deal and used the cash to buy my first Ultra Classic.

If it didn't happen to me, I never would have believed it. 
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.