Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bike trailers question  (Read 5052 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
bike trailers question
« on: October 03, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »

what size trailer do I need to fit a road glide and a street glide  in with out them rubbing against each  other  :nixweiss:

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: bike trailers question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 04:28:44 PM »

looks like a 8.5 times 16 , hu  :drummer:

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 08:18:42 PM »

Everyone has a opinion but a 7x12 will work good,   Bikes have to be staggered but it is no problem. I have towed thousands of miles this way without mishap with a Road Glide and Electra Glide, you don't have to remove the bags etc, You do have to tie the bikes down evenly and I find it is much easier if the trailer is equipped with Condor or similar stops. That way it makes it possible for one person to load and tie down the bikes without worrying about them falling over or bumping each other. Bikes need at Least four tiedowns, front will be held with whatever type chock you have & two forward tiedowns but the rear of each bike must be tied to prevent swing or sliding of the rear tires during a sever sway of trailer or a accident. I use 2 on the front and four on the rear, two pulling forward to keep it in the chock if for some reason the front were to come loose and 2 to side to prevent sliding.
A 7X14 will give you more room to haul extra stuff with the bikes and a 8 foot wide will make it easier but really no need for the extra foot of width unless your going to use the trailer for something else and need the extra width. Eight foot wide motorcycle trailers are pretty rare but can usually be special ordered if your buying a new one. I sold trailers and never sold, or had anyone even want a 8 wide.
DO BUY TRAILER BRAKES. So much safer and a cheap option.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 06:56:15 AM »

Since it's two Harleys, use the B&W Biker Bar.  You do not need a wheel chock and you do not need straps.  I've towed ocean to ocean using the Biker Bar in my toy hauler with my CVO Ultra Classic.  Others here are using it also.  Search this forum for B&W Biker Bar.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »

X2 on the biker bar. It also prevents the back wheel from bouncing over into your other bike.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »

Biker Bars do not work well in motorcycle trailers due to plywood floor not being strong enough to support the complete 900# weight of the bike in one spot. You would need to do some major floor reinforcement to make this a viable solution.
Safety First. Towing a million miles without incident does not make it correct. One small accident and bike flying thru side of trailer where plywood failed is all it takes

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 12:49:17 PM »

Biker Bars do not work well in motorcycle trailers due to plywood floor not being strong enough to support the complete 900# weight of the bike in one spot. You would need to do some major floor reinforcement to make this a viable solution.
Safety First. Towing a million miles without incident does not make it correct. One small accident and bike flying thru side of trailer where plywood failed is all it takes

The plates that go under the trailer that the bike bar base plate bolts to are 4" square.  My toyhauler floor was 3/4" marine grade plywood.   Going to take much more than a 900 lb. motorcycle to pull those 4"x4" plates through the plywood floor.  Because the bike is upright and the full weight of the bike resting there's not much pull on the base plate. 

But if that were still a concern, a cross bar piece of angle iron under the frame of the trailer is a simple solution.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:51:00 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:38:14 PM »

I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer that I put 2 street glides in.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 04:54:38 AM »

I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer that I put 2 street glides in.
My vote as well, I use a vnose 7x14 and have towed 2 baggers several times over last 10 years in it. I used staggered condor trailer chocks.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 08:40:47 PM »

My vote as well, I use a vnose 7x14 and have towed 2 baggers several times over last 10 years in it. I used staggered condor trailer chocks.

I do the same thing. I put etrack on the floor for strapping them in, works great.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »

rather than making a new thread on this hoping to revive this one for a little while. wife says sturgis next year is in the motorhome 40 ft. so, need a trailer or maybe use the car hauler i have. any thoughts there? reading here a couple of you say u can stagger bikes to fit in a 7x14 or 7x16 enclosed trailer. two bikes flhtcuse5 and flhtcuse6 both ultras. i would or could buy a bigger trailer than 7x16 but i would rather hold down the size especially length. with a 16 ft trailer that puts me at about 62 ft. which is fine til you get to the campground and the sites are two short. which brings me to the next question who has been to a campground in sturgis that has enough length. i am told days end has long sites. thanks for any advice.

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »

We have a 7 x 16 V-Nose and are able to put a CVO Limited and a CVO Deluxe in.  One behind the other.  Much better setup instead of staggering bikes in the trailer.

-Tim
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 08:19:47 AM »

We have a 7 x 16 V-Nose and are able to put a CVO Limited and a CVO Deluxe in.  One behind the other.  Much better setup instead of staggering bikes in the trailer.

-Tim
i am sure mine would need to be staggered. bikes are 8ft 2.5in long

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 07:23:26 AM »

Sounds like a solution I will try as well, thanks!
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 10:37:43 PM »

I have a '13 Keystone Raptor with a 12' garage.  It has the normal welded in tie downs, but I've mounted two Biker Bars in mine.  Since the plywood floor "seemed" a bit on the light side, but still 3/4", I added angle iron from the two outside frame "I" beams to the center "C" channel.  The angle iron was about 1/4" away from the plywood floor as it was on the lips of the "I" beam and center "C" channel.  The two 1/4" plates for the Biker Bars were sandwiched between the plywood and the angle iron cross bracing.

I've hauled both my FLH and SERG at the same time and have no bouncing or moving issues.  I found that with just a little snip on the bottom pan of my Honda Helix 250cc, my Biker Bar will clamp to the Honda's frame just like the Harley.  Now that I've sold my '76 Shovelhead, my Honda and SERG fit perfectly together in the garage.

B&W say that anything strong enough for a tie down is strong enough for their Biker Bar.

My vote will always be for the Biker Bar!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 25 queries.