Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iowa - New York - Canada - Colorado  (Read 1082 times)

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Iowa - New York - Canada - Colorado
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »

Mid-June the wife and I are planning on riding our bikes from here in Colorado to Odebolt,Iowa for a few days stopover, then to Newark, New York for a few more days stopover.  From there we would like to slip up north into Canada via Niagara Falls and ride over the top of the Great Lakes.  We would then return to the states and ride on back to Colorado.  We would appreciate any recommendations for the ride through Canada and from Canada to Colorado.  We pretty much have to hot foot it between here and Iowa (one day ride) and from Iowa to New York (two day ride).  Our son is even thinking of riding his 1200 Nightster Sporster along with us.  Two years ago he rode with us on a 3,500 miler.  Thanks
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
Re: Iowa - New York - Canada - Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »

make sure you all have a passport.
also, I cross into canada all the time with a folding knife attached to my belt, and have been told many times it's legal.  but don't take anything bigger, and absolutely no firearms.

have a great trip, and take time to stop and see the Falls.  you'll be glad you did.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »

make sure you all have a passport.
also, I cross into canada all the time with a folding knife attached to my belt, and have been told many times it's legal.  but don't take anything bigger, and absolutely no firearms.

have a great trip, and take time to stop and see the Falls.  you'll be glad you did.

Got passports and thanks for the advice on the knife and firearms.  I best not take the knife I usually carry.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:46 PM »

We're planning about the same trip this year except it will be the last week in June.  Going to be staying two days in Niagra Falls. We'll be going to the factory and museum in Milwaukee on the way south back home. Have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »

If your going to stay in the Niagara Falls area for a couple of days you might want to look at accommodations in near by Fort Erie or St. Catherine's/Thorold area,  The Falls hotels tend to gouge with there pricing.
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »

While in Newark, NY get in touch and I can show you around the Lakes and Wineries . Fantastic day ride to Letchworth. Perfect time to be in the Finger Lakes!

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »

There are some really nice roads a long the top of the lakes. Depending on how much time you have i suggest riding east towards Picton. See Lake On The Mountain then slip back into the U.S. Let me know when you will be here maybe i will ride it with you. I have mapped out a route for that area which i did with the club i ride with.

ultrafan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »

did this route a couple of times from niagara falls head north on 400 towards parry sound then sudbury then take 17 across to sault saint marie great ride they were putting in a highway but the older road was great.if you do bring the sportster get gas when you see it sometimes long distances between gas 

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »

May have to get in touch with you local guys once we get there. Sounds like some good riding areas up there, plus you guys will know all the good places to go eat.  :2vrolijk_21:

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

I live near your path through Iowa, are you coming back through Iowa on the return route?
Supershooter

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »

I do appreciate the input.  I will post again as the time gets closer and we are more locked in with actual planned routes and timing.
Semper Fi

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

You can get a credit card size passport which is good for entry into Canada and Mexico and not have to carry the full passport book with you. The credit card size fits right in your wallet and has your picture on it. I believe it costs $35.00 and can be ordered when you rennew your passport or at any time if I am not mistaken?? Check at your local post office.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.