Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '08 PCM III Install, Bummer......  (Read 1127 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
'08 PCM III Install, Bummer......
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:11:16 AM »

Well last weekend I picked up my PCM III for the '08 SERK Annie.  I've had the V&H Dresser Duals and their Oval mufflers since September waiting for the bike and then I had to wait for the PCM III.

After taking some time to read over the instructions, which are absolutely no good for a SERK or any other touring HD with ABS brakes.  Wait till they try to install one in an ABS equipped bike.

I got it done but not without a few choice words of encouragement from time to time.  Especially when I slid the wire connector off the plastic retainer and sliced off the middle of my thumb print, boy does that hurt (and bleed)...

The instructions say to route the original ECM connector out the front of the right side opening under the side cover.  And then plug in the adaptor cable and then mount the PCM III to the flat area under the right side cover.  Well when you have ABS there is not enough room to route it out and there is absolutely no flat area to mount the PCM III, the ABS assembly takes up that area.

After several failures with routing the connectors, I found one that might work.  See the pictures for a look and a brief description of what I had to do.

Also on the V&H pipes and mufflers, they went on without a hitch, but I reused the original muffler clamps as they fit better under the chrome heat shields.

For a map on this installation, I used the advanced map on Power Commander's website for Bub true dual and SE AC with stock ECM.  I figure this may not be the perfect map for my bike, but it makes it safe to ride if the weather permits.  I will take it in for the dyno run in the spring.

Here are the pictures of the install.

This is the picture showing the original connector pushed down into the small gap in front of the battery.  The PCM III connector is the one that shows up in the picture with the little white dot on it.

This is a shot of the right side area and the end of the two ECM plugs pointing towards the right side but still in front of the battery.  This is all a VERY tight fit and I had to get out the heat gun to soften up a couple harnesses for a more softer bend.

Here's a top shot looking towards the rear of the bike.  It shows the battery installed and the wiring harness for the PCM III twisted just a bit, but plugged in and just long enough.

I had to cheat just a bit.  Seeing how I don't use the rider back rest and that the ONLY place there would be room for the PCM III, I took out the backrest bracket and mounted the PCM III to the rear fender with two nice pieces of Velcro.  It would have been just a bit better if there would have been about 2" more in either of the lengths of harness from PCM III.

Here is the final overall view of the install.  It's quite clean but without the backrest bracket.  So I think Power Commander has some more homework to do to make this a good install.

I would be interested to hear from others that have gone through this on their '08.  I'm still open to some suggestions that could get me back to a useable backrest, just in case I wanted to use it.

If this is the first time for anyone here, then I hope this can help someone else from farting around looking for a solution.

Later dudes and dudette...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: '08 PCM III Install, Bummer......
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:41:36 AM »

That looks like a chore Dan.  Obvious their template bike was not an ABS installed model.

With the tighter bends/near-kinks that have had to be put in to the harness are you concerned with fatigue and breakage?  Or are none of the legs stressed as much as it looks like they might be?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »

That looks like a chore Dan.  Obvious their template bike was not an ABS installed model.

With the tighter bends/near-kinks that have had to be put in to the harness are you concerned with fatigue and breakage?  Or are none of the legs stressed as much as it looks like they might be?

Once I made the bends the harnesses are not stressed that much.  Yes, there are some tight bends, like in the main "T" PCM III harness on top of the ECM.  But it's cable tied and not under any pulling forces.  The main factory harness has a tight bend at the connector, but again once it was in place there really isn't any pull on it.

I think I'm going to contact Power Commander and let them know the difficulties I've had.  I'm sure that by now they've had feedback about SE models or ABS standard models.  Can't hurt to let them know though.

It's done and it runs, how well it runs, at 17 degrees today I'm not going to find out.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:10:38 PM »

I have a pdf with dynojets way to install with ABS - Yours may be better! Let me know if you want it, I'll email it to you. I tried to attach it and I think the file is too big it timed out twice.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.