Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Problem, Backfiring Under Light Throttle and Then Shuts Down...  (Read 2805 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

Okay guys and gals, I've got a new one, or at least one I haven't seen posted yet.

My wife and I went to a great Crawfish Boil today, which had nothing to do with the problem, but after we left we rode for about 30 miles and then the problem started.

I took off from a light and got going in probably 3rd or 4th gear at following car speed at very light throttle and it would let out the loudest backfire and the bike would hesitate.  This happened several more times, again under light throttle.  Then we pulled off onto another country road and it backfired a couple times and then just quit running.  I tried the throttle without any luck and then I flipped the kill switch up / down several times and the bike started back up.  This was done with the motor coasting down with it still in gear and the clutch engaged.  We rode a bit more and after a couple beverages, Diet Pepsi for me, we started back the 11 miles on country roads to home.  It backfired two or three more times but didn't quit running.

The backfire is similar to the old days when you'd shut off your car ignition and then flip it back on to let out a big bang, or blow your muffler off the exhaust pipe.  This is not just a spit in the running, this is an actual shut down momentarily and then back on.

I have a PCMIII but have had no problems with that.  The fact that it actually quit running leads me to some electrical malfunction maybe in the handle bars etc, not sure though.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, what was the cause?

Thanks for reading about my problems.

:( :( :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

Since you mention electrical malfunction have you washed or had your bike in the rain recently (since your last ride). I remember some mentioning about strange things happening w/there PCIII when they have gotten water in them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

Okay guys and gals, I've got a new one, or at least one I haven't seen posted yet.

My wife and I went to a great Crawfish Boil today, which had nothing to do with the problem, but after we left we rode for about 30 miles and then the problem started.

I took off from a light and got going in probably 3rd or 4th gear at following car speed at very light throttle and it would let out the loudest backfire and the bike would hesitate.  This happened several more times, again under light throttle.  Then we pulled off onto another country road and it backfired a couple times and then just quit running.  I tried the throttle without any luck and then I flipped the kill switch up / down several times and the bike started back up.  This was done with the motor coasting down with it still in gear and the clutch engaged.  We rode a bit more and after a couple beverages, Diet Pepsi for me, we started back the 11 miles on country roads to home.  It backfired two or three more times but didn't quit running.

The backfire is similar to the old days when you'd shut off your car ignition and then flip it back on to let out a big bang, or blow your muffler off the exhaust pipe.  This is not just a spit in the running, this is an actual shut down momentarily and then back on.

I have a PCMIII but have had no problems with that.  The fact that it actually quit running leads me to some electrical malfunction maybe in the handle bars etc, not sure though.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, what was the cause?

Thanks for reading about my problems.

:( :( :(

Ignition switch?  Battery cable loose?  Although it should keep running with either of these shorting out...  Ride through heavy rain lately?  (water in PC?)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

vagabond6542

Since you mention electrical malfunction have you washed or had your bike in the rain recently (since your last ride). I remember some mentioning about strange things happening w/there PCIII when they have gotten water in them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I was wondering the same. But here is a slightly different take. The possibility the ECM could be a little screwed up, due to a connection problem. The best way to find that would be to disconnect the PCIII and straight connect the ECM to see if the engine can run without a backfire. Just a thought. :nixweiss:

REGGAB

Familiar sounding problem.  Happened to me in Manhattan, KS last summer after washing the motorcycle.  ECM harness to PCIIIUSB harness union got soaked.  Opened it up, dumped out the water, dried it out, put it back together, and she purred again.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08

What ever it is, I hope you get it fixed and back on the road; without chitie chitie bang bang!
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member

throttle by wire? check for shorts.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

A little more information.

First of all I've never washed the bike with a hose nor has it been in the rain lately.  It's parked in my garage all the time unless we're riding it.  When I've been in the rain it's never been enough to "soak" the bike only enough to be annoying.  I've not loosened or adjusted any of the hand controls or had anything loose other than the main ECM harness to install the PCMIII.

It didn't seem to be related to heat or the same conditions to cause the backfiring.  It's really just a quick off and back on of the ignition, so it seems.  Maybe it was just luck that after I jiggled the kill switch that it started back up.  I was coasting down for probably 5 to 8 seconds and during that time the motor was off without any inkling of firing back up then all of a sudden it's back on and doesn't backfire again until after we had parked for about an hour.

We're riding again tomorrow and I'll fill you all in on the running tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the input.

:) :) :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 23 queries.