Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: -98B muffler rattling  (Read 1111 times)

ashcraft

-98B muffler rattling
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:35:09 AM »

I took the -98B mufflers off due to a rattling noise. When I shook them, the inner removable baffle rattled inside the muffler. I got the baffle out okay.
Is there a way to stop this rattle? I thought about a small "ding" on the tire side of the outer shell to make it a force fit, but with my luck the chrome would then peel off!
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: -98B muffler rattling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 11:47:44 AM »

I took the -98B mufflers off due to a rattling noise. When I shook them, the inner removable baffle rattled inside the muffler. I got the baffle out okay.
Is there a way to stop this rattle? I thought about a small "ding" on the tire side of the outer shell to make it a force fit, but with my luck the chrome would then peel off!
ashcraft,

I doubt that denting the outer shell will help.  I would suggest lightly squeezing the front end of the baffle in a vise to make it slightly egg-shaped.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

don

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 07:03:54 AM »

Till the engine warms up mine are rattling also. Maybe there talking to me saying Freedom System= Freedom System
FLHRSEI-2 ONE FUN BIKE

ashcraft

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:15:40 AM »

darn, I thought mine were saying v & h ovals, at least till the old lady listened.....
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 01:48:56 AM »

Ha!  My SE one-piece mufflers were rattling when cold and that was one reason I decided to replace them with 98Bs.   [smiley=oops.gif]

I guess, at least with the 98Bs, you can take them apart and do as grc suggests.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.