Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relocating  (Read 1004 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Relocating
« on: April 06, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »

My wife and I are planning our escape from south Florida. Been here 32 years tired of hurricanes, tropical storms, power outages etc. And just way too many people on this little strip of land.

So we are looking at the Rome GA area. Not in the town but area. I’m born and raised in Atlanta. But my youth Atlanta is not today’s Atlanta. So we don’t want anything to do with Atlanta. I still have family in north Georgia.

So I’m wondering if any members can give me some insight about Rome. We have found land outside of Rome we want to build on. So we will be in the country. But the largest close town would be Rome. And Adairsville isn’t far either.

So any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Relocating
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »

Been through there numerous times, I can only offer that they have a Jefferson’s restaurant which has the best wings on the planet (IMHO).  Also have a minor league baseball team Rome Braves.  It is a nice little town and close to the Smoky Mountains for the best riding on the east coast.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

Just to the west of Rome is the Coosa River & Weiss Lake.  Nice area, worth a look.

Other than that all I know about Rome is that it wasn't built in a day.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »

And when in Rome....
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:27:06 PM »

North West Georgia is very nice. For Rome, you have sand mountain to the west and the foothills of the smokeys to the east. Lots of good roads and you would be an hour or so from Atlanta or Chattanooga.
However, if I was that close to TN, I'd make the stretch. You coming from flo-ri-duh and used to no state income tax could be in for a shock to Georgia's 6%.  Something to consider

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »

I'm moving from Virginia to Blairsville GA
Bill

mark

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »

I live on the GA Coast & have been looking for a summer home location - there are some nice places in N. Georgia; however, I've removed them from consideration due to state income taxes.  You were considering Rome, but if you go a little further north into TN, you'll avoid that.  As mentioned above, GA taxes income at 6%.  GA doesn't tax Social Security and after 65, doesn't tax your first $30k.  But still, TN would be a better choice tax wise.  Good luck.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »

No taxes in Florida and Tennessee make a big difference. Not just income, some states burn your butt every year when you license your car, no homestead exemption etc. I will be staying in Florida even though retired now.

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »

Thanks everyone for input. Yes, yes, yes I hate taxes of any kind. But my wife wants to stay a little closer to family than me. Happy wife happy life. So we’ll go to GA. I have found several good size tracts of land 30 to 40 acres can build on and the re-plot the rest to sell off piece by piece. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 05:47:46 AM »

I lived in Summerville for 5 years back in the 60's. Only real memory of Rome was the city jail. Spent the night there once for street racing, but I won! Had a '67 GTX Hemi that was a rocket. Saw the clock read 160 coming down the mountain from Summerville to Rome......crazy kid.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.