Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 07' FXSTSSE Hole in Gas Tank  (Read 2018 times)

bbbld

07' FXSTSSE Hole in Gas Tank
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

After being out of commission for several years due to being overseas, I finally was able to fully fill up the tank and get my FXSTSSE on the road.  The Bike ran like a charm and the evening was perfect because I was able to ride with both of my babes.

Anyway, early in the morning my wife went to the garage and noticed that it smelled of fuel.  She quickly found that my bike was leaking fuel.  After calling me I found that the bike was leaking quite a lot with a stead stream of drops.  We then moved the bike out of the garage and away from the furnace and water heater.  When out of the garage I then started to search for the leak and just rubbing my finger over the area of concern, all hell broke loose and the steady fuel drops then turned into a pressured gushing stream of fuel. 

The fuel leaking has finally stopped and I have attached a picture.  Can this be reliably fixed?  The hole looks like it is a perfect diameter of 1/4 inch.  I know this is crazy but it felt as if the paint was the only thing that was blocking the leak.  Has anyone else seen this before.  Sorry for the long read and I appreciate the help in advance.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
Re: 07' FXSTSSE Hole in Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »

I've not seen that on a "modern" Harley gas tank before , the metal is really quite thick compared to Japanese motorcycles. The "paintless" dent removal guys know that for sure !

I have seen it on "barn find" old Japanese bikes in the past.

My Harley always get used with no long layoffs , but if going on extended trips or whatever I make sure the tanks are brim full with additive , Redex/Moreys or whatever.

Be interested to hear any other replies mate !
No illegitimi carborundum

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.