Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: 09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results  (Read 66345 times)

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
Re: 09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »

:-X

Thanks for the info Jim, I installed the Fullsac cores this eve and have ordered a SERT. I should get it tuned in the next few weeks now that the 2" cores are installed. I will take a couple of air boxes with me and try each out on the dyno, see what works and what doesn't

I have seen those numbers before, might have been in the accessory catalog, dunno for sure. Yes it knocked the wind out of my sails.

It will just take some more work and .... well   $$$.

how do they sound? I have some coming also
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 10:25:44 PM »

The 2" aren't as loud as I would have expected. Does have a nice HD rumble though. Better than stock. I fired it up in the garage after dark. I'm sure it will be more impressive accelerating down the road. At this point I am very happy with what I got for the money.

I will suspect that the cats upstream are a big unfortunate restriction. Will find out after a dyno. I won't make any more exhaust mods until dyno shows what's up. With Jim's info, we now know what's stock is.
The impossible just takes a little longer

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »

Thanks Iglide.  Looking forward to seeing your data.  Fullsacs are on their way to me as we speak.  I went with the 1 3/4" baffles so we can baseline the difference between the two.  The smaller pipe may help out with torque without giving up much, if any, HP.  It will be interesting... 

I'm seriously considering drilling my cat when I have the exhaust off.  I believe dartman has drilled his.  It basically takes a 1.6" core bit and 10 minutes. 

What may work out is that you keep the cat in and I will drill mine.  We can compare dyno runs and see what happens. 

BTW, when you do your first dyno, please do it before you apply any SERT map.  Try to run it stock with only the exhaust change.  Then apply the basemap and do another run.  This will help us determine if the computer is holding the bike back. 

The more data we have the better.  We just need to be systematic about this so we can narrow down what makes a difference and what doesn't.  Steve at Fullsac is also going to be doing similar tests.  We should start seeing some good data coming in soon. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »

Wow! This is cool! Go to town guys! :2vrolijk_21:

:vrolijk_11: :drink:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:38 PM »

Agreed,

If you don't measure you don't know. I am at least 3 weeks away, from the dyno thing.

I can't tell how deep that cat area is in the crossover; and, if you can drill all of it out from the upper header entrance for the right muffler. Would it be a concern if some of that cat is left in the lower portion of the header obstructing that outflow to the left muffler? There's a welded ninety there, where it crosses over to the left side.

I probably to remove the whole header, take it to work, cut the 90 off and drill both sides upper and lower, get it all out. That will light up those new cores you can bet on that.

I spoke with TR at TMAN and he reccommends an entire 110 Kit: TB, Pistons, Cams, Head Work (porting, guides, springs, etc).

I asked Short Block Charlie for his reccommendations for a cam and head work without doing the pistons and TB.
He says he will get some info together for tomorrow.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »

Hoist,

You seem to be very knowledgeable with regards to all this business. I'm a good wrench, but don't know squat about engine internals.

I would certainly appreciate your reccommendations for bringing this beast to life. There are a lot of ideas out there, I would respect yours.

Whatcha think?
Can we get the numbers in the 100s without the pistons and TB. I'm ready for the bolt in Cams, SERT, and some Head Work.

I run in the Texas Panhandle. Lot's of wind. When I get into that passing lane in a 40mph head wind, I just want to get gone. The race track isn't my thing as I still need a daily rider.

Just get me on the right planet.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »

Hoist,

You seem to be very knowledgeable with regards to all this business. I'm a good wrench, but don't know squat about engine internals.

I would certainly appreciate your reccommendations for bringing this beast to life. There are a lot of ideas out there, I would respect yours.

Whatcha think?
Can we get the numbers in the 100s without the pistons and TB. I'm ready for the bolt in Cams, SERT, and some Head Work.

I run in the Texas Panhandle. Lot's of wind. When I get into that passing lane in a 40mph head wind, I just want to get gone. The race track isn't my thing as I still need a daily rider.

Just get me on the right planet.

I wouldn't trust a stock motor in the 100's personally! I'll only tell you what I've seen work myself. My first recommendation is to do what you're already doing. Consult with reputable engine designers. You've mentioned 2 already. Most are doing similar things. Modifying and porting heads and maybe changing valve size, much larger TB, well matched stump pullin cam, lifters, pushrods, camplate, 2:1 exhaust, and new pistons and cylinders if ya can afford it. We all make our own decisions on spending our $$$. But from everything I've seen, I'd replace as much as possible with stronger chit before I tried making big hp with mostly stock components. Nuthin for nuthin! ;)

My build is documented here if you want to review it.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21375.msg342859#msg342859

I wish all you guys luck with these engine mods. It can be done succesfully at different levels. Depends what you want out of it, and how much you're willing to spend. I'll be happy to chime in if I can help at all. I know an awful lot about em, but I don't build em myself. This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE though!!! ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

MikeD

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 06:33:06 AM »

Great report, I appreciate it!!!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:07:17 AM »

I can't tell how deep that cat area is in the crossover; and, if you can drill all of it out from the upper header entrance for the right muffler. Would it be a concern if some of that cat is left in the lower portion of the header obstructing that outflow to the left muffler? There's a welded ninety there, where it crosses over to the left side.

I probably to remove the whole header, take it to work, cut the 90 off and drill both sides upper and lower, get it all out. That will light up those new cores you can bet on that.

Iglide, I am piecing things together as we go here, but as I look at this drilling just through the right pipe may not be a problem even if all of the material isn't removed.  The point is to open it up.  Gas will take the path of least resistance.  A bit of back pressure is certainly better than what we have right now and the cat is porous even if the exhaust must travel through it under high pressure.   

Dartman mentioned in one of his posts that the cc's were 7" long and we need to use a 1.6" core bit to drill it.  When I look at mine I see about a 7" welded section that starts (from rear to front) just after the 90 degree elbow you referred and it stops where the two main header pipes combine (see pic).  I believe this is the section with the cat.  I can't tell without opening it, but it looks like the cat ends just before the 90 degree crossover.  I don't think cutting that off would be helpful. 

FWIW, my working theory is that if we drill through the main right pipe header it will open it up enough so gas will be able to get through to the crossover if need be.  Will know more when I get my core bit and fullsec's !!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:53 AM »

Hey Jim,

Check this link out... on power, now granted he's running a  different combo, read his thought on the exhaust system.. May not be that bad after all .Greg

http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/dynoruns.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1414081&LastModified=4675690409928852952
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Sparky

• CVO1: 2009 SERG O&B
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »

Guys

I added Reinhart slips on's and a SE Heavy Breather and a SE Super Tuner and got the following results:

2009 SERG

HP 86
Torque 105

the numbers are rounded (not sure up or down) I have the report at home and I am at work.

I can report that the bike runs much better seems to have more torque, I wish they did a run on the Dyno before the mods

The SE Heavy Breather looks great and gives me 1.5 to 2.0 more inches of room for my knees.

I have also added Progressive Suspension 13.0 inch 440's and the matching progressive front springs. Wow what a difference the bike NEVER bottoms out (front or back). Its a great ride now!!!!!!!!!  The added height makes sure I never scrape the side stand or the floor boards.

I am in the process of adding the J&M Bluetooth connection to the Radio with a connection to a Radar Detector (behind the faring). I have already added the J&M speakers, (Big improvement!!!!!)

I am waiting to add a Kuryakan wind defelector. I cant add it yet as I need a rubber gasket (the stock CVO gasket will not work) and HD is back ordered on the gasket.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »

I am in the process of adding the J&M Bluetooth connection to the Radio with a connection to a Radar Detector (behind the faring).

Please tell more...what brand of radar detector? How/where exactly are you mounting it? By behind the fairing do you mean inside the fairing?

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »

I added the Hard-Krome true dual Vortexx 4 inch muffler.  Have the Race tuner and replaced the air cleaner with the SE one and the results on the dyno are.

HP-90
Torque 112

No changes to cams but have had the recall on the heads completed.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

Sparky

• CVO1: 2009 SERG O&B
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »

I added the Hard-Krome true dual Vortexx 4 inch muffler.  Have the Race tuner and replaced the air cleaner with the SE one and the results on the dyno are.

HP-90
Torque 112

No changes to cams but have had the recall on the heads completed

What bike and year?

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »

Thanks Sparky,

The SE Heavy Breather is what I have ordered to go with the Fullsac cores and Race Tuner. My bet is I'll get numbers like yours:

HP 86
Torque 105

If only we had a dyno with the cat drilled out ???   :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 20 queries.