Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Dealerships sales tactics  (Read 3986 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Dealerships sales tactics
« on: September 16, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »

First I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Today me and 2 friends stop by WPB Harley to check out some 2019’s. My 2 buds both ride 2015 SERG and I ride a 2016 SESG.

So my one friends asked a young salesman what they were asking for the CVO Road Glide in the light and dark grey with the #1 on the tank. The young man (kid to me) said he didn’t know. So my friend pushed and said well how do I get a price. This sales person says none of the sales people know the prices they are set by market conditions and they had to call Omaha to get a price. WTF.

Now my friend wasn’t really in the market to buy but just inquiring. So to get a price he had to give them his drivers license and had to wait about 20 minutes. My friend told them it was a cash buy. But they kept asking questions about trade in’s, financing etc.

Then another guy/sales person showed up with a piece of paper that had the price on it. Hope you are sitting down. 52267.00.......yes I said 10k over MSRP. Then the second guy said to my friend since he was a previous RG customer he would knock off 4k immediately. So my friend told second guy he would think about it and tried to leave with the “paper” . Second guy said NO you can’t take that it’s a private secret price and only good right now.

So I’m watching all this happen and screaming in my head WTF WTF WTF over and over again.

I haven’t bought a new bike from a dealer since 2015 and paid MSRP no haggle no BS.

This dealer also owns 6 Bends (Ft, Myers) and Olathe I think it’s called in KC.

So is this how dealers do things now? Or are these guys rogue? This truly amazed me.

Lastly this is not third party hear say. I watched this happen right in front of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Dealerships sales tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »

Today me and 2 friends stop by WPB Harley to check out some 2019’s. My 2 buds both ride 2015 SERG and I ride a 2016 SESG.

So my one friends asked a young salesman what they were asking for the CVO Road Glide in the light and dark grey with the #1 on the tank. The young man (kid to me) said he didn’t know. So my friend pushed and said well how do I get a price. This sales person says none of the sales people know the prices they are set by market conditions and they had to call Omaha to get a price. WTF.

Now my friend wasn’t really in the market to buy but just inquiring. So to get a price he had to give them his drivers license and had to wait about 20 minutes. My friend told them it was a cash buy. But they kept asking questions about trade in’s, financing etc.

Then another guy/sales person showed up with a piece of paper that had the price on it. Hope you are sitting down. 52267.00.......yes I said 10k over MSRP. Then the second guy said to my friend since he was a previous RG customer he would knock off 4k immediately. So my friend told second guy he would think about it and tried to leave with the “paper” . Second guy said NO you can’t take that it’s a private secret price and only good right now.

So I’m watching all this happen and screaming in my head WTF WTF WTF over and over again.

I haven’t bought a new bike from a dealer since 2015 and paid MSRP no haggle no BS.

This dealer also owns 6 Bends (Ft, Myers) and Olathe I think it’s called in KC.

So is this how dealers do things now? Or are these guys rogue? This truly amazed me.

Lastly this is not third party hear say. I watched this happen right in front of me.

That's how "stealerships" operate!!!! I wouldn't buy a t-shirt from them... would be ashamed to let anyone know I purchased something from a "stealership" that does business like that. :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »

Saw that exact SERG yesterday at Natchez Trace HD in Tuscumbia, AL for MSRP $42,???, price marked on pamphlet looking thing attached to the bars.  I hate how some of these dealers have taken on the slimy used car salesmen approach.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »

Sadly, many Harley dealerships  have been purchased by large car dealer chains. It's no longer about motorcycles, no longer about riding, no longer about what Harley and the lifestyle stood for.

It's about how much bread you got as you walk inside. They could care less that the guy paying 50K plus fees will be lucky to see 27K two years later.

In my humble opinion, some of these dealers are killing the MoCo.

I call it "get lucky motors" simply waiting for the uninformed buyer that they can squeeze. Unfortunately for them, there are fewer and fewer uninformed. This business model also forgets about repeat business. Once you find you've been screwed you don't go back. Might not go back to Harley.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »

I have family that owns GM dealership and has since late '60s. In the '80's made alot of money, had 13 employees. Now has 48 employees, a new building (not there choice) and makes less money than the '80s'. Told me just last week his required social media bill is $15K/month, ten years ago is was $0.00. Unless you are immediate family there are no deals for anyone. Uses every tactic GM has to make a deal. He does not like the situation but has no choice, has to pay the bills or close the doors. Most of the newer HD dealers are similiar. No choice. I personally do not fault them for asking $52K for a bike, the fool is the guy who fails to do research and pays it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »

That's how "stealerships" operate!!!! I wouldn't buy a t-shirt from them... would be ashamed to let anyone know I purchased something from a "stealership" that does business like that. :sauer005:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Me too!

What dealership, in what town?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »

Me too!

What dealership, in what town?
Since the OP is in FL and he stated "WPB" in his post...

Today me and 2 friends stop by WPB Harley to check out some 2019’s.... (snip)
My guess is it's Palm Beach Harley-Davidson 2955 45th Street West Palm Beach, FL 33407. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »

This same crap does happen at Six Bends in Ft. Myers.  I've been there a few times with friends and it's impossible to get a price with out going through hoops.  Salespeople are trained to say they don't know the price and their job is simply to "land you" on a bike.  Then the closers will move in to press the deal.  Same in Naples (same ownership).

STAY AWAY from these dealers and any others that play that game.   The internet has closed the door on those tactics, so no need to get screwed over.

I've bought my last few bikes at Berts Black Widow in Port Charlotte.  They tag every bike with the price and they will work with you.  They also sell CVO's at MSRP, not over.  Not pushing this dealer, just giving them credit for being straight with customers.

So if you're in FL and tired of dealing with the "mystery price" bullchit, I'd suggest you find another dealer to work with.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »

I was in alligator HD today. I know their top sales guy. We were talking about a new cvo rg that will be arriving Wednesday. I'm not in the market for a new one.  However I know he would sell it to me at msrp.  Palm Beach harley really sucks. I see bikes in there for months. Maybe they think HD buyers aren't aware. 10k over.  That's a disgrace of a dealership.  Or should I say stealership?????  Stuart  :nixweiss:

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 12:11:49 AM »

I have family that owns GM dealership and has since late '60s. In the '80's made alot of money, had 13 employees. Now has 48 employees, a new building (not there choice) and makes less money than the '80s'. Told me just last week his required social media bill is $15K/month, ten years ago is was $0.00. Unless you are immediate family there are no deals for anyone. Uses every tactic GM has to make a deal. He does not like the situation but has no choice, has to pay the bills or close the doors. Most of the newer HD dealers are similiar. No choice. I personally do not fault them for asking $52K for a bike, the fool is the guy who fails to do research and pays it.
I've been around the auto business for close to 40 years. One thing I've learned. Those that sell at competitive prices move a lotta product, build relationships with customers and return business. They earn in the finance department, service and parts. They earn when they have trades.

Those that hold out for the highest possible prices do little volume, they end up with old inventory that must be paid off, in my opinion, will go out of business at some point.

Better to accept today's reality. Compete, use the internet to increase volume, sell product outside your market area. Don't let the CarMax's of the business steal your customers.  It's a lotta work but can be done effectively. I know, I've helped dealers do it.

Get lucky motors is the business plan of the past. Same could be done in the motorcycle industry.

Fortunately, capitalism allows us to make choices.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »

An update. First yes it is Palm Beach Harley, sorry I wasn’t more clear.

So yesterday evening someone from Palm Beach H-D called my friend and asked him why didn’t he buy the CVO RG. He said cause it was priced at 10k over MSRP. So they then said ok would you buy it at MSRP. My friend told them put it in writing and we’ll see. I don’t know if they’re willing to put it in writing.

But my friend ain’t buying chit from these people.

Also I’ll add I am a true true believer in capitalism. Charge what the market will bear I have always said.

In saying that I’m a retired building contractor of almost 30 years.  And yes over those years I could have charged much more for all those bathrooms, kitchens, additions etc. that we did. But I sought to always be fair with the public. Even when the public was trying to get a Lamborghini kitchen on a Walmart budget. My goal was to create and generate repeat happy customers. And over those years I never advertised, all my work was word of mouth from satisfied customers. My point with this rant is business is suppose to be a 2 way street satisfying both  business owner and customer with neither one “getting over” the other.

The people at Palm Beach H-D imho are crooks looking to screw any one that they can. And that’s sad when I like and still believe in the Harley product. Lucky for me I have a boat load of dealers here on FL to chose from.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »

Certain locations may feel they have clientele who will pay a premium.

Palm Beach, FL
Rodeo Drive, CA
Shops at Caesars Palace
Gold Coast of Chicago IL
and so on

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »

Funny this thread popped up. When I was looking for my used 2015-16 FLHXSE I called them about two they had on cycle trader. They refused to give me pricing over the phone for either bike claiming I would get my best deal in person. I guess Palm Beach Harley is just a bunch of crooks looking for the next sucker to walk in the door.

My best buying experiences so far have been with Spacecoast - Tony, Ethan and Joyce treated me right on pricing and service two years ago when I bought my new 17 SGS and recently with Lucky U Cycles in Longwood, where Jeremey, Tim and Eric also did a great job getting me into my 2016 CVO.

I also like Bobby down at Peterson's in North Miami and Alain at the South Store in Cutler Bay. They just didn't have the bike I wanted, but my two brothers and a few friends bought from them all with good experiences and great pricing.

Alligator Alley is another dealer that is trying to make the big kill on every bike instead of building repeat business. Their tactics are a joke and they harass you from the minute you walk in the door with stupid questions like "so, how many bikes can I sell you", but then can't quote you a price without asking the man on the podium...lol

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »

My '07 CVO Ultra was a dealer owner demo bike.  Had 2,000 miles on it but was never registered (he stuck his dealer plate on it and rode it).  Stumbled across it by accident, and bought it site unseen for $3,500 UNDER msrp.  Awesome bike and we put 35,000 more miles on it before getting our '12 CVO Ultra.  That one wasn't as great of a deal, but we still paid less than msrp at a moderate volume dealer.  The best experience was when we picked up the '17 CVO Limited.  They gave me a great trade price, and a great sale price on the new bike....and yes, still under msrp.  They had the trade sold within 6 weeks.  They do a ton of volume, and their pricing supports that.  A few years ago, a marginal dealer might have gotten away with jacking up the price due to the relative rarity of the CVO models, but as we all know, those days are past. 

First warning sign to run away is no price listed on the handlebar tag.   
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 2021 FXLRS
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »

An update. First yes it is Palm Beach Harley, sorry I wasn’t more clear.

So yesterday evening someone from Palm Beach H-D called my friend and asked him why didn’t he buy the CVO RG. He said cause it was priced at 10k over MSRP. So they then said ok would you buy it at MSRP. My friend told them put it in writing and we’ll see. I don’t know if they’re willing to put it in writing.

But my friend ain’t buying chit from these people.

Also I’ll add I am a true true believer in capitalism. Charge what the market will bear I have always said.

In saying that I’m a retired building contractor of almost 30 years.  And yes over those years I could have charged much more for all those bathrooms, kitchens, additions etc. that we did. But I sought to always be fair with the public. Even when the public was trying to get a Lamborghini kitchen on a Walmart budget. My goal was to create and generate repeat happy customers. And over those years I never advertised, all my work was word of mouth from satisfied customers. My point with this rant is business is suppose to be a 2 way street satisfying both  business owner and customer with neither one “getting over” the other.

The people at Palm Beach H-D imho are crooks looking to screw any one that they can. And that’s sad when I like and still believe in the Harley product. Lucky for me I have a boat load of dealers here on FL to chose from.

Unfortunately these couple of points are getting harder and harder to find these days:
  "My goal was to create and generate repeat happy customers."
  "And over those years I never advertised, all my work was word of mouth from satisfied customers."
  "business is suppose to be a 2 way street satisfying both  business owner and customer with neither one “getting over” the other."

Well said !!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »

You can shear a sheep a hundred times but you can only gut him once.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »

Very true.  Many dealers need to learn this.  Luckily, where I do business, they know this.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »

Rob:

Your indepth insites over the years have always been invaluable.     

:vrolijk_10: :vrolijk_10:

Best regards

Jerry

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »

very true! but,sometimes a blind hog will find an acorn! i think some of these over msrp dealers thinks there are many blind hogs looking to be gutted.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »

very true! but,sometimes a blind hog will find an acorn! i think some of these over msrp dealers thinks there are many blind hogs looking to be gutted.

And that's what they have been counting on for many years.  The Boomer's made it easy for them; time will tell if following generations will be so easy to abuse. 

The fact is that in a free market system a seller is free to charge whatever they want.  It's up to the potential buyers to rein in the excesses by having the self discipline to say NO and walk away.  For way too long the buyers of Harley's had no self discipline and voluntarily allowed themselves to be bent over a barrel.  As I've mentioned before on this site, Harley-Davidson has never had a product for sale that I couldn't live without.  Obviously that hasn't been the case for many people.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »

So the "Stealership of the Year" award goes to Palm Beach Harley.

That's just insane, but someone will pay that much just to wheel it on their yacht, but nobody I know would.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »

hell, nobody i know even has a yacht  :confused5:

i wonder, do they do all their bikes like that?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 24 queries.